Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member on the grizzly forum for some time. Not posting a bunch but some here and there and in the kodiak section. Wife and I rode a 400 and 450 kodiak for a few years and we decided to hand them down to our two boys. We picked up a 2016 and a 2017 kodiak 700’s last Friday. Hers is the blue one. Since We have 4 now , I figured would jump aboard on here .

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been a member on the grizzly forum for some time. Not posting a bunch but some here and there and in the kodiak section. Wife and I rode a 400 and 450 kodiak for a few years and we decided to hand them down to our two boys. We picked up a 2016 and a 2017 kodiak 700’s last Friday. Hers is the blue one. Since We have 4 now , I figured would jump aboard on here .
Welcome Rob! We live in Russell PA just south of Jamestown NY. We are originally from Buffalo. Where in the Southern Tier are you?

We bought his and hers 700's in 2016. They have served us well and are a lot of fun.

Enjoy your new rides!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buckmaster
We are just outside of Corning, we ride tall pines in Andover & demon run in Howard all the time and will be making a second trip down to AOAA this yr again.

Reactions: Buckmaster

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome from Southern Oregon, Rob!

I sure enjoy my 2018!

Do you keep your rides stock, or do you plan on modifications?

Happy Trails!

: )B

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hercanstien
I did 1mm shims and blue secondary springs on our 400’s. And I was running 26 inch bear claws that I just switched over to my 700. I blocked off the air injection in our 700’s and will be ordering the EHI fuel controller for them. Future add ons are ricochet skids and possible clutch mods. But right now just enjoying the jump in horse power going from the 400’s to the 700’s.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Rob,

I come from a Brute Force 300 and it felt like the power was unlimited when I rode the 700 for the first time.

Your mod plans sound very similar to my own. I have done the air induction block off and went to a clamp on air filter. My plans are for a fuel tuner and upgraded skid plates as well.

Are your 26 inch Bearclaws turning well without modding the clutch? I need new tires but am not sure about going up in size without clutch mods.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rob,

I come from a Brute Force 300 and it felt like the power was unlimited when I rode the 700 for the first time.

Your mod plans sound very similar to my own. I have done the air induction block off and went to a clamp on air filter. My plans are for a fuel tuner and upgraded skid plates as well.

Are your 26 inch Bearclaws turning well without modding the clutch? I need new tires but am not sure about going up in size without clutch mods.
I also will do the diy air filter mod, forgot that one . And yes jumping up 20 hp from the smaller quads is a welcome change. I beat the snot out of that 400, that little quad impressed me with what I threw at it and it just kept on going. I did loose some on the top end with the heavy 26 inch tires and the clutch mods and I weigh 280 too , but I was hitting mud holes the big bores were and making it out the other side. Plus I don’t care about top speed I want low end grunt.

The heavy tires did cause my front wheel bearings and upper A-arm bushing to wear and develop some play on the 400. so I just replaced them on my preseason service I do every winter.
I haven’t trail rode the 700 with the bear claws yet but I did run it up and down the road and I can’t really tell the difference in pep from the stock maxxis that we’re on it. There are tires that are lighter than the bear claws no doubt and I don’t know how much research you’ve done but theres a bunch quality tires out there that are light and hold up well. I am sure next winter I will do a shim and probably a purple spring but for now I am happy. Hopefully next weekend we are going out to trail ride and it’s calling for rain all week so it should be no problem finding mud. When you decide on tires post up your thoughts after giving them a good test, I always like reading average joe reviews on stuff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you running regular Bearclaws or the HTRs?

After slicing my sidewall last year on like the 5th ride and having to get the tire tubed, I am wanting to make sure the sidewalls are tough. With an 8 ply rating, I am thinking they will be up to the job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are you running regular Bearclaws or the HTRs?

After slicing my sidewall last year on like the 5th ride and having to get the tire tubed, I am wanting to make sure the sidewalls are tough. With an 8 ply rating, I am thinking they will be up to the job.
They are the original k299 bear claws. I have run them on other quads I have owned over the years, and I just can’t see switching to anything else. Cant beat em for as cheap as they are and the performance/ longevity I get out of them, I like them for a good all around tire.
And yes a 6 ply or 8 would hold up, no doubt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks again Rob!

Yeah, looking at prices, I may not be able to afford HTRs. Original Bighorns were my other choice, but I think they are even more expensive than the HTRs.

Glad to hear that the original k299 bear claws have served you well over the years.

If I could bug you just a little more, do you mind sharing your riding style? I ride these things pretty hard. I know the little 300 Brute force got BEAT! That thing was turtled at least three times, and the belt has squeaked on take off since I smoked it on a tank trap on its very first ride.

If you ride hard and the significantly cheaper k299s serve you well, I may have to go that route. The (2013) brute force 300 is still on its original Maxxis tires and is finally due for new ones, but I have not purchased new tires for a quad yet, hence all the questions. : )B

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hercanstein your not bugging me at all that’s what we’re here for to discuss everything ATV’s . We ride mud, rocky trails, some sand, stumps, and logs especially on the deer lease.we don’t mud in the peanut butter stuff that’s over the fenders . but I have taken the 400 through a bunch of good mud holes and made it out the other side. The k299’s hold up great, the 6 ply does a great job at resisting cuts/ punctures. That’s one of the big reasons I run them. Hers a few photos of us in the mud with the 400’s. My wife runs 25 inch bear claws.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great pics Rob!

Yeah, these first world dilemmas are something else.

Im sure anything would be better than the tires it came with, but I want the best tire and best value I can get! Meaning I want it all! : )B

I think I might just have to try those! Now all i have to do is decide if I want 25s or 26s!

Decisions, Decisions!

Thanks again for sharing!

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I swear, ATVs are one of the best inventions mankind has made!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I swear, ATVs are one of the best inventions mankind has made!

Agreed . if not the best , definitely one of the funnest no doubt. I have the bear claws swapped from our 400’s to the 700’s so when I get some time I’ll take a few photos of them so you can see what they look like.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cool! Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok Herc I Finally got around to snapping some photos. The blue 700 has the 25’s now and they came off the red 450. And the green 700 has the 26er’s and they came off the camo 400.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Rob!

I am thinking I will probably stick with 25 inch tires until I get new rims (whenever that may be). If I go up an inch I want to go out an inch as well.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

Happy Trails!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts