Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the plastic on the back of control box that adjusts the heat of the handle bar warmers broke off on me. I looked on line and this is sealed unit so you have to buy everything to replace it. Anyone got any ideas to fix this with out replacing the entire unit?

I was thinking about some double sided adhesive tape and than make a new L bracket to mount it but I have concerns about moisture getting into it and shorting it out.

Attachments

Super Moderator
I'd just get a piece of hard plastic and epoxy it to it.

I can't tell but is that where the mounting bracket goes? If so then I would pull the mounting bracket off of the mounting location and epoxy it to the hole and smear epoxy all around it to create a bed of epoxy.

But in the end I would plan on replacing them, that way it will work for the life of the bike.

Registered
I鈥檝e had pretty good luck with JB weld 2 part plastic epoxy, remove the plastic part off the mount from the bolt. Then clean them very well and apply a generous amount of epoxy to hold them together. If you can come up with another bracket to use on the opposite side of the factory one you could epoxy another attachment point. Go to you鈥檙e local tractor supply or do it center and buy a plastic spacer and a bracket and epoxy the plastic spacer across from the factory mount on the back. Basically you could copy the factory mounting but flip it to the other side to add more strength. I would lightly sand the spacer and unit to give the epoxy some teeth to grab on to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About 6 months ago when the mounting bracket broke but it was still hanging on by a sliver of plastic, I applied epoxy to the mounting bracket and it set up real nice. I thought I had it licked. Now it has broke completely off and I am missing a bit of plastic and there is not much left of the plastic bracket.

Registered
About 6 months ago when the mounting bracket broke but it was still hanging on by a sliver of plastic, I applied epoxy to the mounting bracket and it set up real nice. I thought I had it licked. Now it has broke completely off and I am missing a bit of plastic and there is not much left of the plastic bracket.
Yeah that鈥檚 why I suggested adding another mount bracket, one really didn鈥檛 seem like enough. How about getting a piece of sheet metal and bending a box for it to mount in ?

Super Moderator
For a mounting bracket take a look at conduit straps at the hardware store. You would still need to figure out something for the backing plate on the switch assembly. It might not look factory when you are done but if it works that would be the main thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that鈥檚 why I suggested adding another mount bracket, one really didn鈥檛 seem like enough. How about getting a piece of sheet metal and bending a box for it to mount in ?
That's where I was thinking of going, I grabbed some sheet metal from work and was thinking of bending my own box/brackets

Grizzled Mod
Also to consider, if there was a way to pop open the control box, find a spot where a small bolt could be placed by drilling a hole, glue gun in the bolt to seal and now a bolt would be protruding out the back. I just do not know if those boxes can be opened without destroying them. Or a small diameter, long bolt that goes side to side would work too.

I cracked the mount on my Heat Demon 2 zone box but was fortunate enough to still have the plastic tabs intact on the back of the controller box. Was pretty simple to fab something with those still intact. Yours is a bit more of a challenge with some good, alternative ideas being mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts