Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All!,

I'll do a brief write up on the Heat Demon Dual Zone Heated Grip Kit with Controller PN: 215047 that I installed on my 2018 Koidak 700 EPS SE. So in order to remove the old grips instead of cutting them I was able to get behind the two open parts of the grips and roll it all the way off the handle bars. The hardest part was getting them unrolled once off the bars. Next I used some Goof off cleaner and cleaned the old glue off the handle bars. Next, I placed the new heated grips in place **to where I liked the route of the cords** yes they were mostly to the front like manufacturer says but not completely. Next, instead of using the bolts included I had a 1/4" longer one for the lower brake bolt (see pictures of where I mounted it) I only changed the bolt cause I just wanted to be sure it was long enough. And instead of putting the 90* bracket on the way instructions say I put it on the other way because I like the way it sat better, and I don't like stuff sitting on top the handlebars. Next, I put the thumb pad on pretty self explanatory following the instructions. After allowing the heat shrink to cool I didn't like the gap at the end of the thumb warmer for moisture to get in their and mold and mess up my wiring. So I used some Amazing Goop Automotive contact adhesive and sealant (clear) to seal that opening on both sides of the thumb grip. Next, I routed my wires down through the headlight carefully without having to take that apart. Where all the connections for the controller mate, I taped all the connectors together with electrical tape as they didn't seem exactly weather tight. Now this is the tricky part- Finding an open 12V switched power without cutting into anything existing. So right where the main harness is between the positive side of the battery and the steering column there is a connector with 2 wires black (Nuetral) and a brown with yellow stripe (Hot 12V) with black tape over one side that was not being used and I metered it and luckily it was switched 12V! This was very hard to find and I included a few pictures of what the connector looks like. Problem is theirs almost no play in the wires and the tail is only around 2.5" long. The supplied connector I could not get the wires to stay tight in so I ended up cutting the two wires and using wire nuts to connect them (I had a brain fart and should have used butt splices but until I have a problem its going to stay wire nutted as they seem tight) and then I taped over the wire nuts so they don't come loose. Then cut off zip tie tails and put the battery cover back on and all was done. The parts I used that were not included were: 3mm allen wrench, Loctite 242(Blue, for the bolt I replaced on the brake clamp) control wire strippers, alternative lifestyle pliers(Dikes), electrical tape, hair dryer, 7mm wrench, 2 small wire nuts (Recommend butt splices instead) and the amazing goop automotive contact adhesive and sealant. Total time took around 2 hours but I also did a lot extra that the instructions didn't say.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great write up ! I'm sure many will benefit from it. I bought my bike with Heat Demons already installed. Love those heated grips.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
The wire that you connected into is fused along with the electric fuel pump, so if you loose one you will loose both which isn't a big deal unless the grips pull enough power to blow the fuse.

When I did my grips, not the same type the instructions said to just connect them directly into the battery. I didn't like that idea so I place a relay to power the grips and used the keyed source for power to the relay. Naturally the power to the grips is fused.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
No it is for the fuse that powers the fuel pump in the tank.

When I was playing around with that connector using a test light to check it I could start the pump when I grounded the ground wire, that is how I know what it was connected to.

I tried to figure it out on my wiring schematic but got tired or tracing lines on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know where that fuse is located so if it ever blows I can let people know and get a new fuse put in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking at the 2017 Kodiak 700 eps se wiring diagram I have and the only connector that has a brown with yellow stripe and black in the connector goes to a joint coupler with nothing tied to it like it's open? And the fuel pump has a black and a yellow with a black stripes going to it. And a brown coming out?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
The fuse in in the fuse box. As you are looking at the battery box from the front of the machine it is on the right hand side almost under the plastic.

As for where it connects to the wiring that goes to the fuel pump I don't know and as you know it is so tight with no slack it would be hard to follow it out to find out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must be missing something then cause there is no fuel pump fuse in my owners manual and it tells me all the fuses that are on the machine. Can you tell me which number you believe it is? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Sorry about the confusion. The fuel injection and fuel pump are on the same fuse. A 15 amp one in the fuse panel. I had to look at the manuals to unconfuse myself.

But running the grip power through a relay is still a good idea since the wires that you connected the grips into are small enough that if the grips do draw more amps than the wire can handle there could be a problem way before the 15 amp fuse blows.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's ok! And yeah I know exactly what you mean cause I wanna say it's like 20ga wire for the grip power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts