Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only seem to find Haynes service manuals for up to '05 Kodiak...I thought my 400 was an '06 but is there a significant enough difference to not purchase the '05?

Now that I look at the standard Yamaha manual it says Copyright 2005... hmm.

Super Moderator
Forget about Haynes and see if you can find a factory manual to download onto a computer.

I got my last 2 off of Ebay, one was a CD the other was a direct download.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip, I found one that is both a CD and a mobile app for half the cost of the Haynes. It covers up to 06 so I'm good!

Super Moderator
A couple of tips for you on it if you download it to a computer.

If you plan to print a page to use as a reference get a binder and when you are done with the page place it into the binder. That way you you or someone else needs it in the future you have a ready reference that you can take out of the binder and use.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of tips for you on it if you download it to a computer.

If you plan to print a page to use as a reference get a binder and when you are done with the page place it into the binder. That way you you or someone else needs it in the future you have a ready reference that you can take out of the binder and use.
Great tip 鈥 I come from a family of school teachers, so binders and paper organization are second nature.

So, I have the manual up on my computer now and I searched for choke plunger...what I discovered is that I must actually be seeing what Yamaha calls the "starter plunger" assembly and it seems pretty clear to me that the top part of the rubber plunger boot has torn away from the bottom part that is actually screwed into the carburetor. Looks like I will need to replace this but, before I assume that is my only issue, is it worth ordering an entire carb kit and tackling a full clean-out of this thing if I'm going to go to the work of removing and replacing the plunger assembly?

It looks like I can mostly reach it without tearing the bike apart but if this piece has failed would that indicate other carb issues?

Super Moderator
If it is running fine I think that I would leave the carburetor alone and just replace the "starter plunger"

When I was playing with mine I stuck a WD40 tube into it and sprayed the snot out of it to get it working again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is running fine I think that I would leave the carburetor alone and just replace the "starter plunger"

When I was playing with mine I stuck a WD40 tube into it and sprayed the snot out of it to get it working again.
Ok, thanks 鈥 did you put the WD-40 into the hole that the plunger was in (i.e. into the carb?) or was it somewhere else.

The manual I purchased did not specific how to remove the plunger rubber boot...I'm guessing a phillips head?

Super Moderator
I put it up under the rubber boot, but it has been so long ago I can't remember just how it came apart.

That's the trouble with getting old. I have worked on enough things that I sometimes wonder just how I actually did the job when I think about what I did when I did it and a lot of it was without a manual. I just figured that it needed to be fixed so I fixed it. Sometimes when I look at the manual on how to do something I realize that I didn't do it the way that I was suppose to. But in the end I got things fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts