Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Hauling the Kodiak

13K views 66 replies 15 participants last post by  CanadianKodiak700 
#1 ·
I see folks talking about hauling the Kodiak in a Toyota Tacoma. How is that possible? Looks to me like the Taco bed is too narrow. I'm about to buy a hauler and it looks to me like the Chevy Silverado long bed is the way to go. Who hauls in what???

#2 ·
You will be hauling the Chevy with the kodiak more than you think. Lol
I have hauled in my ram, but i prefer in my cargo trailer as its all set up for hauling.

I just did a quick google-fu on taco world, the taco is 52" between the bed sides, 43 between the wheel wells.
I even found a pic of a 700 grizzly in the box

Get the taco before any gm product.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
You will be hauling the Chevy with the kodiak more than you think. Lol
I have hauled in my ram, but i prefer in my cargo trailer as its all set up for hauling.

I just did a quick google-fu on taco world, the taco is 52" between the bed sides, 43 between the wheel wells.
I even found a pic of a 700 grizzly in the box

Get the taco before any gm product.
How do you get it past the fenderwells?

#3 · (Edited)
Both 09 & 19 Grizzlies fit just fine in my 2008 Ridgeline

Attachments

#4 ·
There is also an option to purchase a Diamondback ATV tonneau cover for mid-size trucks, taco included, so that the wheel wells don't interfere with loading. Those tonneau covers are very useful and well made, I've been using one for years now but on a 1-ton truck where I can pull my travel trailer and have the bed available for additional supplies.

#5 ·
Many years ago I started a project trying to figure out how to haul two ATV's on a long bed pickup at one time, or even one for that matter. The biggest problem that I could see with that was how to attach a set of racks without drilling into either the bed or the side rails. Then I found the perfect ebullition when looking in a magazine. I called the manufacture, a mom and pop operation up in Oregon and talked to them for about a hour and decided to purchase their product.

These racks were made so that the ramps would store inside of the racks themselves. They would fit a compact or a full size truck, short or long bed to be able to carry two ATV's. The sad part is that they sold their patent out to someone who never followed up with manufacturing them. The only two sets of them that I have ever seen are mine and a friends who saw mine and ordered his the next day.

The biggest and nicest thing is that you have the whole bed available to use if you are going on a trip. We changed around how we strapped them down and now have a very secure way to do it. I have also thought about making up a second set just to sell to those who see them on my truck and like the idea. A welder, grinder, and a chop saw, and the metal would be all you need to make up set. The ramps extend out 11' on either side of the truck so it is pull on and pull off. I have backed my ATV down them a few times and it does get interesting.

Reactions: Ike and Jssrvlz
#7 ·
I just had to jump on here and represent Ford...
Lol!!!
I’m using an F-150 short bed with a hard folding cover. I build a little 2x8 frame that sits up front, holds the ATV back about 12” or so.
If I’m hauling 2, I have an enclosed trailer so I can do overnight trips, bring extra gear, and keep it all locked up.

Attachments

#14 ·
Wheel wells are approx 8" ground clearance on a bike is 11"+
If you can't drive over the wheel wells in the truck, I think it's time to look for a much larger cc bike or have a tune up done on yours. If neally needed, toss a 2x6 or 2 down across the front of the box where your front tires will rest.
My 450 Honda fit in my buddies ford ranger no prob. Just drive up over the wells. That bike was alot lower than the kodiak/grizzly.

#13 ·
Put a wood block into the bed for the tires to run up on and sit on if needed.

#16 ·
I haul mine with my 2009 GMC Sierra ext cab 6.5 ft box. Bought it new and it just hit 300,000 km(186,000 miles) .I've had zero I ssues with this truck. Even has original ball joints and tie rod ends.Hands down best truck I have ever owned. I'm actually afraid to replace it. I also have a 9ftx6ft trailer with ramp that I sometimes use to haul the quad.

#18 · (Edited)
I use a 14 f150 stx with the 5.0, bought it used from a older gentleman last spring with a whole 32,000 miles on it . Hitched to it is a 6 by12 Karaven trailer that has fold down rails, we can fit 3 kodiaks on it side ways . I also have a 4 by 10 ft tilt bed trailer that my oldest son uses to haul his kodiak.

#19 ·
Very nice!

Reactions: Rob-c
#21 ·
Perfect! Thanks to everyone for the input. I have a new trailer and my wife is talking about buying a new truck. I can get a Chevy Silverado, standard cab, long bed, 4X4, pretty well equipped for less than $35k. Ford and Toyota are much higher. I'm checking out the RAM tonight. My buddy drove his wifes new RAM to to buy a Kodiak for me and that RAM is luxurious as can be...

#22 ·
when it comes to domestic trucks, my picks in order of preference are 1. Gm and 2. Ford. I personally would not touch a ram but would certainly never tell anyone what to buy. Check reviews and talk to owners regardless. It's a big purchase and one you don't want to regret. Truth be told,I'd buy a Toyota Tundra if they weren't so expensive and thirsty.

#24 ·
Toyota is a good product. But it’s SO outdated. The other 3 are a decade more advanced.
I spent time reading the Ram forum... it wasn’t pretty. Kinda reminded me of the Polaris forum - Yikes!!! Lol!
When I was shopping, the GM twins drove so horrible I couldn’t even consider it. Between the cylinders going off and on, vague handling, a spongy gas pedal... My Ford just felt right. But shoot, it ain’t perfect either!
Just remember - What's the root word of affordable? FORD!

#25 · (Edited)
I currently have a 2019 ram 1500 classic, last truck was a 2011 f150. I absolutely hate anything from gm, worst vehicles I ever owned, but right now they have the best working LED headlights of any truck out there. I love my ram, opted for the 3.6L v6 since it's only towing is the kodiak in a 6x10 cargo trailer.
The f150 was a 5.0l v8, lots of power and reasonable on gas, especially for a v8. Toyoya tundra was one of the worst tricks I ever drove. My old boss was obsessed with them so we had several as "work trucks" which was not what i would call them.... Glorified corolla with extra trunk space. Lol most uncomfortable, poor handling truck ever. My buddies tacoma is nice and it's a 6spd manual.
If you were going for a truck for towing/hauling, i personally would say the f150, 5.0l v8, or 2.7l ecoboost got fuel economy. If you want a truck that can tow/haul lots, but it squats due to coils vs leafs in rear, the ram is a great choice. 700 kodiak squats my ram 2" making it perfectly lebel. If you were pulling the kodiak in anything larger than say a 6x12 cargo trailer, get the hemi, otherwise, the 3.6 v6 is plenty and very easy on fuel.

#26 ·
I forgot to mention to stay away from any engine with variable displacement. The dumbest idea ever put in an engine bay. The gm 5.3 and 6.2 both consume oil. The 2018 and up Ford 5.0 consumes oil and the hemi v8 in the ram is known for camshaft wear. It also is known for exhaust manifold leaks. As Canadian Kodiak mentioned, don't get the small v6 in the ram if you plan on hauling any weight. The engine is too small for that . I'm really suprised they don't offer it with a turbo or 2 in the ram. A coworker of mine bought the same truck as CK but it won't pull his 30 ft holiday trailer very well so he is trading it in soon at a substantial loss. The ram is also known for ball joint wear. A friend of mine just bought a new f150 3.5 Eco boost and I have to say I am quite suprised by the power it has. So far he is very pleased with fuel mileage.

#27 ·
Most of all my coworkers drive new or newish F150s. They are indeed nice trucks but Holly crap many of them are spent alot of time back and fouth from the dealer for repairs. Very insulting for 60+$ new trucks

#31 ·
When one finds a good vehicle , I believe it's smart to hold onto it for as long as feasible. It's a crap shoot today when you're buying a vehicle. That's why I'm still driving my 11 yr old truck.I daily drove my last one 11 yrs as well. I've had my share of luck( both good and bad) when it comes to vehicles.

#33 · (Edited)
X2 my Ridgeline is now 13 years old and I still adore it. ( I've owned it for 10 yrs). Like you, my plans are to hold on to it as long as possible.

#35 ·
A buddy of mine just traded his 3.5 ecoboost for a 5.0.

He had the EB for a couple years, bought it out of warranty, luckily he opted for an aftermarket warranty because he ended up needing his motor/turbos replaced at least 2 times, mabey 3.. i don't remember exactly. The warranty company would only pay for repairs up to the amount of what the loan was for.. he was up to about 13k worth of repairs on the truck he paid 16k for when he decided it was time to go lol. He's much happier with the 5.0 so far.

My trucks a 2010 Ford ranger with a 143hp 2.3 4cyl, 5spd, and 4.11 gear. It gets the wheeler around just fine, despite being legally over-loaded by a small margin lol.

I'm hoping to be in the seat of a brandy new ranger here in a month or two. Its time to upgrade.

#43 ·
Reactions: Vincent
#45 ·
Used to be an Opel GT around when I was a kid. The owner swapped a 327 small Block Chevy into it. No personal experience with how fast it was but my buddy had a first gen Plymouth arrow that he shoehorned a 340 into it when we were in senior high.That car was scary fast. That's a beautiful little car Vincent. Always liked them and the Datsun Z cars. Don't want to put ideas in your head but.......LS swaps are all the rage now lol.

#46 · (Edited)
Aww, thanks guys. I hand built this car over 7 years. Here an old video showing process early on, and three recent pix....

That said, My apologies to @Kokopelli for throwing his thread off coarse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.