Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kodak SE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove down to Logan last night. Steak and couple beers at Chief Roadhouse. Set out on Rockhouse trail 10 from Man WV this morning.

Gave less than a good college try to get up black trail 29. Between ruts and wet rock, as soon as I lost momentum the lack of traction was evident. I slid backward. So, I went around. Blue trails are also challenging and what a great ride.

I meandered up and down the switchback most of the day Stoppes in Gilbert for gas and food. Then meandered back to Man trailhead.

100 mile day. I’m out 2.8 gallons of gas in Gilbert and 1.9 when I got back. Not bad considering thers Was almost no cruising, mostly tight steep switchbacks and low range almost the whole day.

Tomorrow may be Buffalo mountain or bear wallow. Here are some pics from today…

Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape Wood
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Sky Branch Natural landscape Tree Wood
Sky Snow Plant Natural landscape Natural environment
Tree Natural landscape Wood Sky Trunk
Brown Plant Natural landscape Wood Twig
Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape Wood
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Sky Branch Natural landscape Tree Wood
Sky Snow Plant Natural landscape Natural environment
Tree Natural landscape Wood Sky Trunk
Brown Plant Natural landscape Wood Twig

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wife and I are planning to drive down and ride Pocahontas and connecting Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Warrior this summer . Awesome pictures ..

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've been there four times in the last two years and I have two trips planned for this year. Rockhouse is the roughest of the eight systems I've ridden so far. Bearwallow is one of the two I haven't hit yet.
Any tips for first timers or must stop places to see eat ? As per above we’re hitting Pocahontas system .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any tips for first timers or must stop places to see eat ? As per above we’re hitting Pocahontas system .
Pocahontas is one of the easiest systems, definitely a good place to start. Bramwell has a couple of good restaurants. Montcalm has a little campground grocery store with gas and good food.
Indian Ridge has a great variety of trails. The Ashland Resort has gas and the Ashland store has a diner. There's also Wrong Turn Pizza, Rider's Paradise and the Outlaw Bar nearby.
Pinnacle Creek is more open terrain. Pretty easy but somewhat rough. Ole Jose in Pineville is awesome. There's gas there too.
Warrior is almost half closed as of now for mining or logging. If its open when you go the Town of War is a cool place to visit with a couple of restaurants, gas and even a Walgreens store.

I use Avenza maps and Trailview app. You can get current paper maps at the trailheads. The paper maps are updated regularly.
Bring TP and wipes and enough water and snacks. Watch the blind corners.

You will love it. The trails are amazing and the people are incredibly warm and welcoming.

·
Registered
2018 Kodak SE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info kingwalleye . One thing I’ve found is that there are some locals that know trails and local area. But those individuals are hard to find.

I’ve called many local hotels and cycle shops - even the trail offices and get conflicting and confusing information. People tell you you can ride to this trail or ???? But when you look at a map it seems impossible…. And ask again and realize they didn’t know what they were talking about. When I get here, things seem to workout but I’ve been fortunate to gets bits and pcs like the info from folks like kingwalleye.

Here’s my add:

Figure out what trails you want to ride. I agree that pinnacle creek is less challenging but it has great scenery (I think all do). Buffalo mountain and Rockhouse are awesome, Rocky, steep, switchbacks. You can spend a day on each and be really entertained. Once you figure out the trails, then a nearby town for Lodging and food.

I’ve stayed in Man, wv at the local motel. Not great but kept me dry. Convenient if you are riding Rockhouse and/or to use Rockhouse trail to get to Devil Anse or Buffalo Mountain.

in Man, Keith’s bar is well known and has good local atmosphere and good bar food. Lodging is local motels.

Rockhouse can make a full day (I did 100 miles of awesome riding yesterday). But travel time to Devil Anse means you need a pretty long day to see much of Devil Anse. I’ve never gone to buffalo mountain from Rockhouse so I don’t know about that trip but appears to be a similar situation to me. I will post notes from buffalo mountain shortly.
This trip I stayed at holiday inn in Logan wv. There are many restaurants in this strip area. Mexican, Japanese, fast food and a roadhouse. Roadhouse is only place with liquor license, so I’ve eaten here twice. Nothing to write home about but good - just what you’d expect from a roadhouse. I went 5 minute drive downtown one night to the nicer steakhouse (317) for dinner and a couple beers and it is really good.

it was 20 minute trailer to Rockhouse trailhead in Man and 25 minute trailer to buffalo mountain trailhead in delbarton. Bear wallow entrance is right by the holiday inn, and tomorrow, im going to ride my kodiak from the hotel to bear wallow. I’ll post note after that ride.

·
Registered
2018 Kodak SE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today: 80 miles on buffalo mountain. Must do again. This trail and Rockhouse are really great challenging rides.
Trail blue 55/58 and 19 are pretty rutted and muddy. Not my kind of riding.
The rest of the blue were extremely fun, steep, Rocky, switchback hills with lots to see.
I spent almost 9 hours riding from delbarton trailhead and if it wasn’t getting dark, I would have made a second run on trail 48 (I think it’s 48 - if I’m wrong I’ll post a correction) blue trail pretty close to the trail head.

I made a stop in Williamon for a little gas. They have lots of restaurants to choose from. Very ATV friendly (as are other towns around the trail system).

Buffalo mountain has some old mine entrances and I grabbed some photos. One spot is shown on the map (trail 26 , 20 and 15 intersection) The ones on 29 are not easy to spot. I rode past them TWICE and they are very visible once you open your eyes. These aren’t blocked off and can be entered. Some peoples showed me video of them walking in with lights. Said it goes back for a long long way. I won’t go in. Lots of reasons and probably therapy needed to change that decision 😂😂

Here are some pics (I hope I only load them once this time).

Sky Plant Branch Tree Road surface
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant
Sky Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle
Bedrock Plant Trunk Formation Grass
Brown Wood Bedrock Cave Formation
Plant community Plant Branch Wood Twig

·
Registered
2018 Kodak SE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My last day was 40 miles on bear wallow trail. Another excellent day of riding. This trail is very scenic. Hilly and twisty, but it is much easier to ride Rockhouse and or Buffalo Mountain.

this trail also has some old tunnels along the trail. I don’t know how far back they go… I’m not going in anything like that… But, about a quarter mile farther down the trail on the opposite side there are also openings that look like they could be the other end of those tunnels.

I was limited on time because I had to drive back to Detroit, so I mapped out a ride it would take a couple of hours. I ran into a problem on Trail 28. The trail had mud holes that progressively got deeper and longer. I was almost to the end of the trail to complete that loop, when I got to one that I just wasn’t comfortable trying to cross alone. I didn’t even get my whole bike in when it appeared to be pretty darn deep, there was nothing to winch to on the other side and there was no way to get around it. So I retreated and meandered all the way back around the trail. It added a lot of time to my day, it was excellent riding so I didn’t mind getting home a little later than planned. There’s just something about not completing a loop that still bugs me :)

here are some pics

Plant Wood Twig Trunk Grass
Daytime Wood Natural landscape Rectangle Grass
Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle
Branch Wood Twig Formation Bedrock
Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle
Wood Bedrock Window Building Formation

·
Registered
2018 Kodak SE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today: 80 miles on buffalo mountain. Must do again. This trail and Rockhouse are really great challenging rides.
Trail blue 55/58 and 19 are pretty rutted and muddy. Not my kind of riding.
The rest of the blue were extremely fun, steep, Rocky, switchback hills with lots to see.
I spent almost 9 hours riding from delbarton trailhead and if it wasn’t getting dark, I would have made a second run on trail 48 (I think it’s 48 - if I’m wrong I’ll post a correction) blue trail pretty close to the trail head.

I made a stop in Williamon for a little gas. They have lots of restaurants to choose from. Very ATV friendly (as are other towns around the trail system).

Buffalo mountain has some old mine entrances and I grabbed some photos. One spot is shown on the map (trail 26 , 20 and 15 intersection) The ones on 29 are not easy to spot. I rode past them TWICE and they are very visible once you open your eyes. These aren’t blocked off and can be entered. Some peoples showed me video of them walking in with lights. Said it goes back for a long long way. I won’t go in. Lots of reasons and probably therapy needed to change that decision 😂😂

Here are some pics (I hope I only load them once this time).

View attachment 11366 View attachment 11367 View attachment 11368 View attachment 11369 View attachment 11370 View attachment 11371
I forgot to mention that on Buffalo Mountain, Trail 26 there’s a Place where you have to cross a creek. It’s kind of cool because you go down one side and then you actually ride in the creek for a little ways and then go up the other side. Only a few inches deep, but pretty strong current, and there was a lot of water flowing when I was there. Probably typical this time of year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove down to Logan last night. Steak and couple beers at Chief Roadhouse. Set out on Rockhouse trail 10 from Man WV this morning.

Gave less than a good college try to get up black trail 29. Between ruts and wet rock, as soon as I lost momentum the lack of traction was evident. I slid backward. So, I went around. Blue trails are also challenging and what a great ride.

I meandered up and down the switchback most of the day Stoppes in Gilbert for gas and food. Then meandered back to Man trailhead.

100 mile day. I’m out 2.8 gallons of gas in Gilbert and 1.9 when I got back. Not bad considering thers Was almost no cruising, mostly tight steep switchbacks and low range almost the whole day.

Tomorrow may be Buffalo mountain or bear wallow. Here are some pics from today…

View attachment 11360 View attachment 11361 View attachment 11362 View attachment 11363 View attachment 11364 View attachment 11365 View attachment 11360 View attachment 11361 View attachment 11362 View attachment 11363 View attachment 11364 View attachment 11365
Very nice! Perfect time of year to ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts