Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an odd thing to outsource. I can see trim parts and a lot of other things being built by other manufactures. You would think that the power plant and the drive train would remain in house. It's really not a Yamaha to me.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Pretty sure they made the 686 as well but I may be wrong. I suppose there are worse makers to outsource to than Subaru .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pretty sure they made the 686 as well but I may be wrong. I suppose there are worse makers to outsource to than Subaru .

I suppose, I have read other post on here with owners having problems with smoking on startup contributed to milling issues with the head and faulty compression springs. I have seen a little smoking on startup but, I'm contributing it to condensation in the exhaust system.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Most of the problems were with the first year manufacture and as they go along they get better with fewer problems. That is one problem with buying a totally new machine when it first comes out. You are one of the guinea pigs.

Just about any engine manufacture will have problems with getting everything right when they first start to manufacture one. It has been quite a while since I have heard what the failure rate is on new engines but years ago it was fairly high, and that was before they even were put into the vehicle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That all your smoking issue is unless it's blue which you can plainly see the difference then you would have an issue. Mine does the same thing. Out sourcing is common now a days. .Look at Yamaha snowmobiles. They are artic cat chassis with a Yamaha engine. Arctic cat is there chassis and a Yamaha engine same sleds different colour paint and name.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That all your smoking issue is unless it's blue which you can plainly see the difference then you would have an issue. Mine does the same thing. Out sourcing is common now a days. .Look at Yamaha snowmobiles. They are artic cat chassis with a Yamaha engine. Arctic cat is there chassis and a Yamaha engine same sleds different colour paint and name.
Agreed . . . and many of the so-called John Deere, Cub Cadet, Husky, etc. lawn tractors are built by the same company and just painted different colors and different emblems slapped on them.

Subaru's small engines are actually pretty well liked by many folks in the small engine world.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's still a Yamaha engine, Yamaha just outsources the assembly to a Subaru plant , all in the Fuji family.
I'm thinking that because Polaris stopped using the Fuji small engines in their snowmobiles and ATV's they have a plant open to do the assembly work for Yamaha now, Fuji had some of the best engines out there .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts