Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! First post - but this site has given me tremendous insight!

I could use some clarification. I have a 2022 Kodiak 450 EPS that I bought primarily for hunting and game retrieval . I’m 5’11”, 220 lbs or so and have had several heart surgeries - so the Kodiak was far more of a tool purchase to keep me in the woods than a toy. That said - I love the 450 in the woods. It’s nimble, comfy, and stable. Our deer club is logging company land in the Southeast so it gets gnarly, and is a weird mixture of sand soil and rocks . I did put kenda bear claw 26” as well as a full length aluminum skid plate. The Kendas improved the machine about 6000% even at low/ moderate speeds.
However- there’s something about the ergonomics that causes me some pain. The handlebars are too low and forward for me. My blind is about 1.5 miles from a parking area on sand roads at 20- 25 mph, then another half mile of trails at 8-10. I’ve seen where others have added aftermarket bars, but only gained an inch or so. Also- I’m a bit disappointed in the engine sound and mid range. ( that I don’t really need- honestly) this is my first ATV but I grew up on dirt bikes, dune buggies, and fast boats. I’m 50 now so I’m no longer a kid.
Can anyone comment on whether the 700 has a more upright riding position/ taller bars than the 450? According to this forum the Griz does , but I’d be losing the things I love about the Kodiak.
Alternatively- suggestions on handlebars swap? That seems like it’d get complex. There’s not much extra room in the control cables that I see.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,247 Posts
I have zero idea with the 450 since I have a 700 but getting my bars up a extra 1 1/2 inches made a world of difference to me. I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs so I'm not a lightweight.

I did mine by going to the Grizzly bars and had no trouble with any of the cables. Anything much more and think that you will start having problems with then.

Have you thought about loosening the bars and putting them at a different angle to see if that helps?

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Im 6-3 and my 700 fits me better than my 400 I had . But I wasn’t fond of the handle bar height on the 700 . But after installing a set of Kemimoto handle bar risers I can stand and ride now, and i like the riding position now . I suggest before selling your new 450 add a set of these super cheap but rock solid risers and see if it helps . I know a few others on here have bought these and are happy .

Reactions: Coder and Vincent

·
Registered
2022 Kodiak 700 EPS w/Tusk Megabite 27x9-12 and 27x10-12
7 Posts
I can say that you cannot run even a 30mm riser on a 2022 Kodiak 700 without replacing the entire throttle cable. I put them on, nearly killed myself backing out of the garage, then had the dealer I purchased the atv from install them. They adjusted the throttle cable to max length and it was still under enough tension that turning the bars to the left engages the throttle.

Sometime between 2021 and 2022 someone at Yamaha figured out they could save a few grand a year by shortening the OEM throttle cable slightly.

I would love to raise the bars on my Kodiak 1-2 inches, but I've come to the conclusion it isn't an option without major work on the machine.

• Wow
Reactions: Puddlejockey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input and the ideas, everyone! I decided it was worth the small cash to pickup a kenimoto riser and play with it to see if that helps. Sadly- it sounds like if it doesn’t work, going to the 700 won’t solve the ergonomics issue. Bummer…

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like it might not work for you but on my Kodiak 2021 I did the Kemimoto 7/8’s risers which made a huge difference and then I purchased a 2021 grizzly seat for my Kodiak and my machine is 100% perfect for me. Less than 140 bucks for risers and seat and my Kodiak is so much better to drive and much more comfortable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2021 Kodiak is a 700 I don’t know how all this would work on your 450 but for the 700 it made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all! First post - but this site has given me tremendous insight!

I could use some clarification. I have a 2022 Kodiak 450 EPS that I bought primarily for hunting and game retrieval . I’m 5’11”, 220 lbs or so and have had several heart surgeries - so the Kodiak was far more of a tool purchase to keep me in the woods than a toy. That said - I love the 450 in the woods. It’s nimble, comfy, and stable. Our deer club is logging company land in the Southeast so it gets gnarly, and is a weird mixture of sand soil and rocks . I did put kenda bear claw 26” as well as a full length aluminum skid plate. The Kendas improved the machine about 6000% even at low/ moderate speeds.
However- there’s something about the ergonomics that causes me some pain. The handlebars are too low and forward for me. My blind is about 1.5 miles from a parking area on sand roads at 20- 25 mph, then another half mile of trails at 8-10. I’ve seen where others have added aftermarket bars, but only gained an inch or so. Also- I’m a bit disappointed in the engine sound and mid range. ( that I don’t really need- honestly) this is my first ATV but I grew up on dirt bikes, dune buggies, and fast boats. I’m 50 now so I’m no longer a kid.
Can anyone comment on whether the 700 has a more upright riding position/ taller bars than the 450? According to this forum the Griz does , but I’d be losing the things I love about the Kodiak.
Alternatively- suggestions on handlebars swap? That seems like it’d get complex. There’s not much extra room in the control cables that I see.

thanks!

I purchased the ROXSpeed 5” Risers KIT , for my 700 . Although I have ProTaper Contours on mine , you could leave the OEM Bars on & or get a pair of “beach cruisers bars” that will sweep back really comfortably

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also put on the rox riser kit for grizzly / kodiak and it made the ergonomics a lot better for me, especially in tight turns. I also put on a set of flexx bars....so, my 700 is pretty much perfect for me now. I race hare scrambles with mine, here in Indiana and the trails in the woods can get a bit tight, so, the maneuverability of the 700 is great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For those who are using the Rox risers did you have any issues with the cables? I really struggle with tight switchbacks and am wondering what bars to go with the risers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those who are using the Rox risers did you have any issues with the cables? I really struggle with tight switchbacks and am wondering what bars to go with the risers.
I did not have any issues plenty of room all my cables worked just fine took 15 mins to install on my 2021 700 Kodiak 7/8” risers Kemimotos

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
478 Posts
Sometime between 2021 and 2022 someone at Yamaha figured out they could save a few grand a year by shortening the OEM throttle cable slightly.
If you look up the throttle cable part number used on your 2022 Kodiak, you'll see that it is the same part that has been used since 2019 on Kodiak 700s. It was not used on previous year Kodiak 700s, 2016-2018.

What is it exactly that you are wanting to do or how do you feel handlebar positioning isn't quite right? OEM bars used with small risers or a Rox kit with risers and new bars? The Rox kit has relatively flat bars when compared to the OEM style of bars and Rox has claimed, at least in the past, that cabling isn't an issue with one of their kits. What I would recommend to everyone, is make sure and remove the throttle cable from ANY kind cable bundling (ziptie, strap, etc.) or something that can pull on the cable housing when making sharp turns. It can be very unnerving when unexpected throttle happens... I had it happen to me in the past and it was because the throttle cable was bundled/tied in with all of the other wires from the handlebars.

Back to the info about the Rox kits. On my Grizzly, I ultimately ended up trying out 3 different MX style bars until I found a set that felt good to me. But I was dealing with a completely different issue, trying to find something comfortable on all day rides that helped with throttle thumb pain. But that is the good thing about the taller Rox riser, or similar, that you can source your own set of bars to suit yourself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is it exactly that you are wanting to do or how do you feel handlebar positioning isn't quite right? OEM bars used with small risers or a Rox kit with risers and new bars? The Rox kit has relatively flat bars when compared to the OEM style of bars and Rox has claimed, at least in the past, that cabling isn't an issue with one of their kits. What I would recommend to everyone, is make sure and remove the throttle cable from ANY kind cable bundling (ziptie, strap, etc.) or something that can pull on the cable housing when making sharp turns. It can be very unnerving when unexpected throttle happens... I had it happen to me in the past and it was because the throttle cable was bundled/tied in with all of the other wires from the handlebars.
I'm looking for a more comfortable, upright position. The oem setup isn't bad but after 2 days at HMT my thumb is numb and my shoulders are aching. On tight switchbacks the bars are too wide. This makes me wonder about what bars are right.
That and even though I'm a little guy (5'-4") I still feel like I'm way too far forward when standing up.

·
Grizzled Moderator
478 Posts
The 5" Rox risers with flatter MX style handlebars do have greater adjustability and would probably get you that more upright positioning. However, from my experience, which was not trying out every single type of MX bar, the bars are going to be even wider with typically a more forward reach, less sweep. The good news is you can research and easily find bars with less sweep than the OEM bars as the OEM bars seem to have a pretty significant sweep on them which many seem to not like. But when I jump on a Grizzly or Kodiak with OEM bars, those feel awfully narrow to me as I'm used to my setup. I'm at a fairly average height of 5' 11".

Regarding throttle thumb pain, have you tried adjusting your bars, front to back and also tried moving your brake levers and throttle around? Doing all of that can make a big difference as a first step towards finding positioning that is setup for you.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 5" Rox risers with flatter MX style handlebars do have greater adjustability and would probably get you that more upright positioning. However, from my experience, which was not trying out every single type of MX bar, the bars are going to be even wider with typically a more forward reach, less sweep. The good news is you can research and easily find bars with less sweep than the OEM bars as the OEM bars seem to have a pretty significant sweep on them which many seem to not like. But when I jump on a Grizzly or Kodiak with OEM bars, those feel awfully narrow to me as I'm used to my setup. I'm at a fairly average height of 5' 11".

Regarding throttle thumb pain, have you tried adjusting your bars, front to back and also tried moving your brake levers and throttle around? Doing all of that can make a big difference as a first step towards finding positioning that is setup for you.
I have moved the controls around but the results are the same. I really think it's the low position and the sweep that makes it so uncomfortable for long rides.

·
Grizzled Moderator
478 Posts
Here's a thought. Go ahead and purchase one of the Rox kits or some risers and source yourself some MX bars. Any of the risers are probably just fine. You can look for some "less wide" bars that have less sweep, just about everything will have lees sweep than the OEM handlebars. Play around with that for a bit and see if it helps for your all day rides and the throttle thumb pain. If you end up hating the combo, you could always resell everything and go back to the OEM bars. If you find a set of bars you like but they are too wide, consider that you can shorten the width, aluminum bars are easy to remove some length with pipe cutters, so long as there is enough room for all of your controls.

I ultimately had to go with an aftermarket throttle to alleviate the throttle thumb pain. That along with the Rox kit has the steering built specifically for me and my style of riding, it is now comfortable to me for consecutive all day rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts