Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put in 18g grizzly weights and man am I happy with the results. I’m running stock tires and this thing just screams!!! Now have to decide if I want to increase height/width or tires or just stay with the stock size and just get a more aggressive tread like a Zilla or mayhem.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Just put in 18g grizzly weights and man am I happy with the results. I’m running stock tires and this thing just screams!!! Now have to decide if I want to increase height/width or tires or just stay with the stock size and just get a more aggressive tread like a Zilla or mayhem.
Look up a 2" lift from perfex industries. They are built stronger than hilifter, all powder coated black. Very good instructions age he packages his kits well for shipping.

A good set of tires will really help, 26" are pretty much exactly what should have came stock instead of the 25". Spend the extra four a good set of radials, the rim smoother, last longer and are more puncture resistant.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DiakKoKrazy

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Spend the extra four a good set of radials, the rim smoother, last longer and are more puncture resistant.
The rim smoother?

I'm assuming you ment
They ride smoother.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I never heard of them until now. I like the price and the craftsmanship. Are you running them or know someone that is?
That's what i have on my 700 kodiak. Incredible quality. They are out of Quebec Canada.
My next purchase from them will be skid plates

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look up a 2" lift from perfex industries. They are built stronger than hilifter, all powder coated black. Very good instructions age he packages his kits well for shipping.

A good set of tires will really help, 26" are pretty much exactly what should have came stock instead of the 25". Spend the extra four a good set of radials, the rim smoother, last longer and are more puncture resistant.

Do you feel like the lift makes it more too heavy/less nimble? I like fast trail riding, but on the other hand I’m relocating to North Carolina where they have a lot of mud. Everyone runs XMR can ams, so a lift and mud tires might do me well

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Do you feel like the lift makes it more too heavy/less nimble? I like fast trail riding, but on the other hand I’m relocating to North Carolina where they have a lot of mud. Everyone runs XMR can ams, so a lift and mud tires might do me well
So i added the lift and at the same time i added 1.5" spacers making the bike 3" wider. I could fly through the trail no prob, i used to have a bui of an oversteer issue, and it's almost gone now. So for fun, i took the spacers back off to try it. I find it no more tippy at normal width but 2"taller than it was at stock. The difference in the Center Of Gravity is so minimal, it's not really noticeable, it's more of a placebo effect.
I find it fine with the 2" lift and stock width. It still handles great in the trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i added the lift and at the same time i added 1.5" spacers making the bike 3" wider. I could fly through the trail no prob, i used to have a bui of an oversteer issue, and it's almost gone now. So for fun, i took the spacers back off to try it. I find it no more tippy at normal width but 2"taller than it was at stock. The difference in the Center Of Gravity is so minimal, it's not really noticeable, it's more of a placebo effect.
I find it fine with the 2" lift and stock width. It still handles great in the trails.

Nice good to know, how wide are your front reptile radials? Happy with how they perform in mud?

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
26x9 front, 26x11 rears
I'm not into mudding, but i will hit a hole if i have to go continue on my merry way in a ride. But 2 summers ago, i trailered my bike 1700km from Ontario to New Brunswick to go for a few rides with family and friends back where i grew up.
My buddies took me to a mud hole that was almost impossible to get through with a stock bike, it's mud over the tires, a water on top about level with fenders. They thought my tires might be enough.
I couldn't get out of it on the far end bacause i didn't have enough momentum to bounce up over the drop off under the water, but i could do something that nobody else did, i could back all the way back out a bit it again. Usually, you go on until you are stuck and someone winches you out. But i could go right to the end slow, and just spin against the drop off. Or just back right out. I pushed down a trail around the hole through the woods beside it and hit it from the opposite direction. I flew through it like nothing then. After seeing them hit it with older 450 and 500 honda foremans with half wore out bearclaw k299, it made me realise just how well my reptiles work in the mud. They are an awesome all around tire, definitely not dedicated mud, but they will pull you through some nasty situations no prob.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does it give you more low end power?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I put Grizzly 18g weights in mine and what it does is make the transmission respond faster to the throttle input. With the Kodiak weights 32g it takes almost two seconds after you hit the throttle to when the transmission is fully grabbing and applying power to the wheels. With the Grizzly weights it takes about a second. I like to ride trails with an aggressive, sporty style and this change made a big difference.
Changing the tires (26" Tusk Mudforce) also made a big difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts