Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this beauty last night. Need to get some better pics outside...tough to do on winter when it's dark when I get home. This is my first ATV. I've been on motorcycles for almost 20 years.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!
Take your time learning to ride.
I came from both two wheeled and three wheeled bikes, and the three wheeled bikes require more body english than quads require, but if you've ever ridden a snowmobile you'll be at home in no time.
I love standing up as I putter along back trails, and when I load the bike into the bed of my old truck, but sit down for more higher speed turns and spirited riding

The best ramps I could find was from Longramps.

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
The hardest thing that I had to relearn when I switched over to a quad from a motorcycle is that the left hand lever on the handle bar is for the brake and isn't a clutch.

But other than that everything went smooth.

I also load my machine while standing up and I also place it into 4x4 and low gear, but then I load mine up onto the rails of the truck. You just have more control that way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The hardest thing that I had to relearn when I switched over to a quad from a motorcycle is that the left hand lever on the handle bar is for the brake and isn't a clutch.

But other than that everything went smooth.

I also load my machine while standing up and I also place it into 4x4 and low gear, but then I load mine up onto the rails of the truck. You just have more control that way.
Yea...it's way more stable and relaxing to stand up when loading. I would never have thought that if I hadn't tried it.
I don't think my left lever was on there for even one mile before I took it and it's cable off in pieces. Too set in my ways to have a brake lever in the wrong location.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Yea...it's way more stable and relaxing to stand up when loading. I would never have thought that if I hadn't tried it.
I don't think my left lever was on there for even one mile before I took it and it's cable off in pieces. Too set in my ways to have a brake lever in the wrong location.
that brake lever isn't in the 'wrong location'. Yamaha is one of the few that still does it the old way...the right way. rear brakes on the left, front on right.
If you grew up on 3 and 4 wheeled bikes, this comes natural.... lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
that brake lever isn't in the 'wrong location'. Yamaha is one of the few that still does it the old way...the right way. rear brakes on the left, front on right.
If you grew up on 3 and 4 wheeled bikes, this comes natural.... lol
I grew up on both two and three wheels, and a brake on your clutch hand is just wrong for me. For rear brakes I instinctively use my right foot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.
Right now, its gonna be mainly for plowing, and scooting around the grounds of the MC but I do want to get into trail riding. It took a while to talk the wife into getting it, but she gave me the green light last week and actually said, "why dont we go look at ATV's"... so we did...haha... I can see having another one for her in about 6 months...hahaha...
We have a toyhauler 5th wheel so we would like to someday go to the Hatfield McCoy trails.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome Jim!

Nice ride! Looks exactly like mine did when it came off the showroom floor (in March of 2018, so different engines) before removing the stickers, gettin' her dirty, putting a few dents in the fenders and ripping the rear center skid plate off on a logging skid road. : )B

p.s. I have the factory installed winch and it has gotten me out of a few tight spots already, when these things get stuck they are STUCK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Herc! I took some of the stickers off, some came right off, others just rip in tiny tiny pieces. I'd like to find something for those ridiculous huge warning labels riveted on. Someone on here had found cool logo cut out pieces to put in there on Ebay but they arent selling them anymore. I got a new fender out of the dealer when I bought it because it had a crease about an inch long in it. I wont put it on until I really NEED to...hahaha... I got the winch on this past weekend... I need to get the snatch block, tree saver, etc. I am looking into wheel spacers and fender flares.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome Jim,
I take it by your screen name you have or had an HD at one point and time. My journey to four wheels began after my Army career ended and couldn’t ride my Street Glide anymore. This machine has breathed new life into me in ways I couldn’t have imagined. Hope you enjoy your time out there! Be safe, if you do go out alone... let someone know where you’re going... ya never know what Mother Nature can throw at ya!

Blessings
JJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice quad Jim, I almost got the armor gray also but when i saw it next to the black SE it was a no brained for me.. I still love the gray quads.. These are great quads for everything, plowing, trail riding, rough trails and anything you put in front of it.... Also if your looking for a great place to ride try the AOAA trails in central Pa. A little closer than Hatfield McCoys and they have all kinds of trails..7500 acres of trails and countless miles of riding..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts