Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here. A brief autobiography:

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I have a 2016 Kodiak non-EPS in camo. It was my first brand new bike, but I've had other, more... um... used machines, including an '87 Honda TRX350 Fourtrax (toughest machine ever made), a '99 Kodiak 400, and an '03 Arctic Cat 400i FIS that is still in the family (sold to my brother-in-law). I'm a mechanic by trade, and in my free time I make stuff with metal.

Things I've done to the Kodiak so far:

Home made 2" receiver
Home made winch mount
Back seat
Windshield (Ugly, but form must follow function!)
Home made mount for a Kimpex Click-N-Go-2 with a home made plow
2" Lift kit
1" Wheel spacers

I specialize in automotive electrical stuff (Have three patents, one for tail light sequencers like the Mustangs have, one for a headlight flasher and one for a "blackout module" that kills all lights in a vehicle, or only selected lights, for police cars). Because i do electrical stuff, and because I'm a total magpie when it comes to sparkly stuff, I couldn't leave the Kodiak alone. Nothing elabourate, of course, since this is an offroad machine, but just some touches to make it mine:

"Angry eyes" white LED strips over the headlights, act as daytime running lights
LED Shifter light, because it's too damned dark where I usually ride, and before I got used to the bike it was a pain in the hoop trying to figure out what gear I was in
USB charging for the handlebar mounted Garmin E-Trex
LED lighting for the rear seat storage boxes
A horn (sounds like a stupid concept, but comes in really handy when trying to get the attention of another rider)
LED Backup lights that come on when the bike is shifted into reverse (again, dark)
LED mini light bars mounted to the windshield because I don't think I should have to buy an EPS model to get a third headlight

Coming soon: 27" Zilla tires (ordered, will be here Thursday) and a Trail tech speedometer/odometer unit

·
Registered
757 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am from NS as well. Your gonna love the tires but you didn't need the lift for the 27's.plenty of room on my 700 eps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I am from NS as well. Your gonna love the tires but you didn't need the lift for the 27's.plenty of room on my 700 eps.
I was more concerned with ground clearance than making room for the tires. My only complaint with this bike has been that it bottoms out easily. A friend has a 2016 Arctic Cat TRV700 2Up, and even with his long wheel base he was getting through trails that would cause me to hit bottom. I went on a run with the Metro District OHV club this past summer and the bike bottomed out on several occasions. This winter I added a Kimpex Click&Go II mount that I made, and that took another inch of ground clearance, so I added the lift to get that inch and more back.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I see. I went with the front mount Tric plow. The zillas made quite a difference in ground clearance. The stockers only stand about 24 1/4" tall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I only went with the Click&Go because my father inexplicably bought two Click & Go's when he bought his King Quad, so he gave me one of them. It was easier to make a mount for the Click & Go than it would have been to make up a whole new mounting system for the plow I made for it out of a 100-lb propane cylinder.

The stock tires on these things are quite awful. They look worn out when they're new, and just look puny, both in height and in width. They're so skinny I'm considering mounting the front tires I'm taking off onto a set of 12" trailer wheels to put on my woods trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts