Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for GPS tracking & Maps on their ATV?

I've been getting away with using my phone in a RAM mount, but where I ride I have no cell signal (except on occasion if a dense cloud passes I may get a couple bars of 3G) so live maps or Google Maps becomes problematic.

Thinking of maybe trying to use my Garmin Zumo 550 from my motorcycle, but that's not really an offroad unit. Maybe looking at a new Garmin Unit?

Any better idea??

Super Moderator
I have a higher end Garmin that I found in a mud puddle a number of years ago. Someone had lost it and had never registered it with Garmin.

Have you looked at OnX Maps for your phone? They can be downloaded and then used in Airplane Mode on the phone while you are out of cell range. I personally like the GPS idea better since they are built a little bit more rugged than a phone is and while the screen is quite small you get used to it and learn to adapt.

Reactions: JKinPA

Grizzled Mod
Garmin Montana is a very popular option, rugged and can get wet. Also extremely nice for the Montana is the AMPS RAM mount combo that allows you to hard wire in power for the Montana. I have my AMPS mount hardwired direct to my battery so the GPS doesn't shut off when I power down my Grizzly.

Reactions: JKinPA

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a higher end Garmin that I found in a mud puddle a number of years ago. Someone had lost it and had never registered it with Garmin.

Have you looked at OnX Maps for your phone? They can be downloaded and then used in Airplane Mode on the phone while you are out of cell range. I personally like the GPS idea better since they are built a little bit more rugged than a phone is and while the screen is quite small you get used to it and learn to adapt.
Looking at maybe replacing my old Garmin Zumo 550 with one of the newer Zumo XT model, but if I can do better with my phone, that's the more cost effective route. I have a few Map apps on my phone, but those are more for hiking or Motorcycle (street not offroad).

I'll take a look at OnX Maps and see how that works, but I would want (2) states, so that's looking like the $99/yr. So 4 to 5 years, the Garmin w/lifetime maps becomes the better cost option.

Has anyone seen the Adventure Pro (Magellan) from Yamaha? Might be an option, but expensive, and not sure it mounts to the Kodiak (but if it fits the Grizzly I'd assume there is a way).

Super Moderator
OnX can get expensive, for just knowing where you are at plain old GPS can't be beat but once you have to start buying chips or paying for downloaded maps the $$$$$ keep adding up.

Reactions: JD864 and JKinPA

Registered
I have a Garmin Montana on a Ram Mount off the front rack. That is my backup to my phone. On my phone I use Polaris Ride Command ap that you can download off of Google Play. Works the best because it shows all designated atv/snowmobile trails in your area and you can track your ride with it. You do need cell service for it to work the best. Avenza is another mapping app that you can download free map overlays on atv trails. You do have to search their website and download maps in your area. This app seems a little difficult to use but its free.

Registered
I have a magellan tr7 on/offroad unit for overlanding purposes. It's not without its faults, but as far as I could tell it was the most affordable offroad unit on the market. 2d/3d/satellite imaging. 160k pre-loaded trails and a user updated system that sounded really cool.

The higher end tr7s are waterproof and have a camera built in so when your off in the woods adding trails to the system you can take pictures of any obstacles along the way so people can decide whether or not they want to get into it.

Overall I like it. Especially sub 300$ only problems Imo are battery life and their user updated system is kinda slow.

Reactions: JD864 and JKinPA
1 - 7 of 7 Posts