Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
That is actually where it is intended to mount.

One thing is that you need to be careful torquing the bolt back down. When I was doing mine when I put the Grizzly bars on I stripped out the threads but I was able to put a longer bolt into it. I was about to drill it out and put a bolt with a nut onto it.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The instructions show the handlebar clamps included with the winch clamped on the handle bars. It looked too busy.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
My warn winch instructions showed using the brake handle, and included a slightly longer bolt to make mounting simple.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
390 Posts
That is how mine is mounted.
And just like JimP I stripped out that one bolt on accident.

Fyi, you can use that brake lever with the one bolt for a while.

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
30 Posts
Glad I found this, factory location or not, looks great and seems very functional there, I'm installing mine this weekend 🙏

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
You might consider mounting the winch switch on the bottom screw of the brake lever. In the event your Kodiak is upside down and you need your winch, the switch may still be accessible or easier to get to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Don't get discouraged that other people already knew it. You figured it out on your own, without instructions and you confirmed on this forum that you did it right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's where both of mine are mounted, from the Dealer on the 17 EPS and where I mounted it on the 20 Base.

Steve..........

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
Yeah, no! I'm gonna side with the OP on this one!

I have EVERY Manual or Instruction Sheet ever written or provided by Warn Industries on the installation of their VRX and Axon series winches (probably SIX in number), and there is NO (zero!) reference to mounting the switch using the brake handle screws. Nada. If you have one, please post it here in rebuttal!

And I'll leave it at that for now, before I start getting into my well-warranted views on Warn documentation, because it AIN'T pretty, plain and simple, and they damned well know it!

Inaccurate, incomplete or missing parts lists, hardware kits missing key items, screws, bolts and nuts the wrong size or missing altogether, yada, yada. I was able to get my winch and plow assembly all mounted-up just fine, and I'm perfectly happy with it, but it wasn't no 1-2 hour job, and it didn't happen without several trips to Fastenal (a premium hardware provider). Mostly minor and easily resolved, but the winch, winch mount, plow mount, push tube assembly and plow blade, all had some sort of an issue that slowed me down!

Bottom line? Warn Industries needs to take a long, hard look at whoever it is that they've contracted with to draw-up their documentation. No doubt! And yes, it's a rather trivial point in this instance (the winch switch), but again, based upon everything I've ever seen from Warn on paper, the OP has it right in this instance.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. :cool:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah, no! I'm gonna side with the OP on this one!

I have EVERY Manual or Instruction Sheet ever written or provided by Warn Industries on the installation of their VRX and Axon series winches (probably SIX in number), and there is NO (zero!) reference to mounting the switch using the brake handle screws. Nada. If you have one, please post it here in rebuttal!
I wish I had my original warn box. I got my warn as the promotion, that came in the mail a month or so after purchase. I am pretty sure there was some paper in there, telling me to install the rocker switch on that bolt.

Be careful now. Dont over tighten, once again very easy to strip the threads right out. There was a small plastic spacer with it to use on the bottom bolt so it sat out far enough. Not leaving too many threads in contact with the bolt

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I wish I had my original warn box. I got my warn as the promotion, that came in the mail a month or so after purchase. I am pretty sure there was some paper in there, telling me to install the rocker switch on that bolt.

Be careful now. Dont over tighten, once again very easy to strip the threads right out. There was a small plastic spacer with it to use on the bottom bolt so it sat out far enough. Not leaving too many threads in contact with the bolt
Yup you are 100% right, seperate little insert, just like the added insert about installing contactor on back of mount with only 2 bolts not 4. There was also a little ziplock bag with a longer bolt, washer and nut to be used with brake lever mout option. The regular bolt bag has the 2 piece bar clamp and hardware that is mentioned on the instructions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
Twern't no printed "insert" for the rocker switch inside any of the instruction sheets, manuals or hardware bags that I received, but I can totally see Warn doing so, because I've seen it happen with other instructional items of theirs, like the plow mount/push tube assemblies. In fact, I've got two totally different instruction sheets here for the VRX-2500 winch, which are completely different renditions (different instructions, different illustrations, etc.), for the very same piece of equipment, one (outdated), which was enclosed in the product packaging, and the other (newer), that was printed on-line from (I believe?), a commercial vendor's website.

And to be clear, the rocker switch thing didn't really matter to me much, because in the end, I chose to use the bar clamp approach. Checked with a couple of local dealers, and apparently, they tend to use that approach too, since it's easier and cheaper to replace a stripped screw, than a threaded (tapped) cast aluminum brake lever housing. In addition, it doesn't really sit any higher than the brake lever approach, and only slightly to the right of it (by less than an inch), which in my case is a good thing, because it helps me avoid inadvertently hitting the neighboring round green ignition button, when the motor is already running. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
One thing on the brake lever screw, mine was that way and when I changed out my handle bars one of the first things that I did was to strip that bolt. I then planned to just get a longer bolt and nut to take care of it. But once I had the longer bolt I found that there were plenty of threads left to put it in and tighten it to the correct torque.

I have no idea if Warn puts a longer bolt into the winch mount kit. Since I picked up my Kodiak used and with the winch already installed. I would also wager that a 1/4" longer bolt is quite a bit cheaper than a handle bar clamp.

This is no way defending Warn for their instruction sheets. I have dealt with them for years but I figure that most of those who purchase Warn products are mechanically inclined and it doesn't take too much to figure out just what to do as far as the installation of plows and or winches if you have been around tools.

But then there is always the saying that the first thing that men do is to open the box of parts, dump everything onto the ground (loosing needed parts) then throwing the instructions away with the rest of the cardboard and plastic wrappings. They then try to put together the parts finally realizing that some bolts are too short and others are way too long. They then go to the trash or chase the trash truck down the road waving their arms to retrieve the instruction sheets only to find that in that parts list that a few of the parts that they dumped on the ground are now lost forever. After two or three trips to the hardware store to pick up new bolts ( the first couple of trips they got the wrong ones, SAE for Metric or wrong grade). Then once everything is together they will find the lost hardware right where they dumped it, but it now that extra hardware either goes into the trash or the bit's and pieces drawer never to be seen again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
One thing on the brake lever screw, mine was that way and when I changed out my handle bars one of the first things that I did was to strip that bolt. I then planned to just get a longer bolt and nut to take care of it. But once I had the longer bolt I found that there were plenty of threads left to put it in and tighten it to the correct torque.

I have no idea if Warn puts a longer bolt into the winch mount kit. Since I picked up my Kodiak used and with the winch already installed. I would also wager that a 1/4" longer bolt is quite a bit cheaper than a handle bar clamp.

This is no way defending Warn for their instruction sheets. I have dealt with them for years but I figure that most of those who purchase Warn products are mechanically inclined and it doesn't take too much to figure out just what to do as far as the installation of plows and or winches if you have been around tools.

But then there is always the saying that the first thing that men do is to open the box of parts, dump everything onto the ground (loosing needed parts) then throwing the instructions away with the rest of the cardboard and plastic wrappings. They then try to put together the parts finally realizing that some bolts are too short and others are way too long. They then go to the trash or chase the trash truck down the road waving their arms to retrieve the instruction sheets only to find that in that parts list that a few of the parts that they dumped on the ground are now lost forever. After two or three trips to the hardware store to pick up new bolts ( the first couple of trips they got the wrong ones, SAE for Metric or wrong grade). Then once everything is together they will find the lost hardware right where they dumped it, but it now that extra hardware either goes into the trash or the bit's and pieces drawer never to be seen again.
Yikes! That's quite the sordid saga! Fortunately, I'm not one to "dump" things on the floor or to chase garbage trucks, and frankly, most of the Warn hardware kits come in sealed bags with visible part numbers printed on them anyway, but I will say that it can get to be a dicey handful when you do as I did, and install EVERYthing, all at once (winch, winch mount, contactor relay, rocker switch, plow mount, push tube assembly, and plow blade), because albeit segregated in small plastic bags, it amounts to about the same thing . . . a wild mixture of hardware, along with OEM hardware that had to be removed from the Yak (i.e., front rack bolts, skid plate bolts, fender well bolts, yada-yada), and other accessory items that you may have purchased yourself (e.g., custom 12v cables, wiring lume, Nylox lock nuts, hose clamps, etc.).

It was a journey for-sure! One that involved some minor fabrication in my case (strap pulley for the plow), and one that took 'numerous' hours to fully complete, but I'm very pleased with it.

Plus, on a multi-component job that diverse, you always seem to end-up with an unidentified bolt or two that leaves you wondering what you may have missed? It may have been a duplicate supplied by the vendor, it may have been replaced by something shorter or longer (the 1"x M8 bolts on the front rack for the front cargo box), or you may truly have overlooked something. Who's to say?

But the one thing I do NOT overlook, is printed instructions. That's a fool's errand. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts