Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plus 3 others own 180 acres for hunting deep in Sallisaw wood in Oklahoma. We have hunted the area for over 30 years. It is surrounded by 1000s of acres. My group {7 total} got to the trail head to our camp at 8am. The truck and trailer with 3 wheelers on it stayed there and myself my wife and 3 others went ahead to scout a freshly plowed road. Wayne and his 13 year old daughter stayed at the trail head on the right away. This is where it got weird.
When we got back to Wayne and his daughter I could see something was not right. Daughter was crying and Wayne was crazy angry.
A person we didn't know rode up to Wayne and his daughter and started cursing about the bull dozer plowing up his road. Wayne said it wasn't our group and to stop cursing around his daughter. It got escalated with word on both parties. The stranger drove off and then showed back up but stayed 50 yards away. and was screaming that he is going to tie Wayne to a tree and rape his daughter while he watched. Then was going to kill Wayne. Stanger stated I can see her ***** hairs from here and the our group would not make it out of the woods that day. Plus several other threats.
I was riding up to help Wayne unload the wheelers and the stranger rode off when her heard me coming.
Daughter was shaken badly and Wayne was livid.
We gather up the 3 kids and sent them deep woops with my wife and a machete. Wayne stood at the trail head to guard entrance. Ricky and I rode to the gate and I went to the paved road to wait on the sheriffs. I was the only one armed. I'm always armed. I'm a vet and competitive shooter and have been a self defense instructor for over 17 years. When the LEO showed up I let them know what I knew and said I would go relieve Wayne at the trail head guard duty and send him to them. I then went to my wife and kids in the deep wood. The kids and were shook up but ok. My wife is a mama bear.

Found out later the Stranger lost his land in the hunting area from lack of payment and he just was crazy mad at everyone there and we where the first people he saw coming in so we got the brunt of his anger. I don't know if he was armed. When the LEO found him he barricaded he self in his house and refused to come to the door. Not sure what happened after that.
After many tears the kids settled down and we grouped back up and did a couple hour ride and sat on the creek bank.

What was going to be a great fun day ended well but was a learning experience for all involved. My group learned never go anywhere unarmed. The kids learned that there are many threats in this world but family and friends had there back and might have killed for them if it got to that. I have since learned his name address and all family members in the area.
We are a very peaceful bunch and just love our time in the woods riding and hunting. We also found a very nice spot where a large group of hogs feed regularly. On a side not related to this story ... hogs can eat an entire human body and distribute the remains all over the woods in little piles.

This could have ended badly and I am so very happy it ended like it did. No one hurt just scared kids and mad dads.
I was planning on telling a story of my Kodiak out preforming all the other wheelers there but after that experience none of that really mattered.

·
Registered
127 Posts
scary stuff. Glad to one got hurt. What do you carry usually?

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scary stuff. Glad to one got hurt. What do you carry usually?
Thanks, me too.
I usually carry a Glock 43x or a 19 in 9mm with a reload in my backpack. I also carry a IFAK medic kit. I was a combat medic.

Reactions: Blmpkn

·
Super Moderator
1,372 Posts
Yes, the world is full of all kinds of people and it sounds like your group ran into one of of worst ones out there. In my book there is no reason to start to go off on someone as you said that he did, that's what law enforcement and courts are for.

But then in my old age I have mellowed out, in my younger age he would of been wearing a ATV for a new vest at the very least.

I have also said to those who want to carry while out in the woods, that it is the two legged vermin that you have to watch and not the four legged ones.

Glad you all made it out alright.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks, me too.
I usually carry a Glock 43x or a 19 in 9mm with a reload in my backpack. I also carry a IFAK medic kit. I was a combat medic.
That's a good skill to have. Thanks for your service.

I don't always carry, when I do it's just an LCP with +p hollow points. This story has influenced me to carry riding*

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you,
An armed society is a polite society. Everyone has a right to feel safe and has a right to protect the friends and family. I believe in live and let live. I am very peaceful but I am also capable of great violence if forced into that situation.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
774 Posts
thank you,
An armed society is a polite society.
I've often heard Americans say how Canadians are very nice and polite

Interestingly that's done without being armed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

It is a different culture for sure. I spent my entire life surrounded by armed people and firearms and never had a problem. Love you neighbor as yourself.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It is a different culture for sure. I spent my entire life surrounded by armed people and firearms and never had a problem. Love you neighbor as yourself.
Exactly.

Just to add. I do have a gun cabinet with a variety of riffles and shot guns too! ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts

We are heading straight down the toilet up here. It all starts with disarmament which is currently under way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am going to try to respond through the tears in my eyes. I am so , so sorry that your family had to go through this. As a Grandpa my heart hurts that any children should experience such a traumatic event. I own many guns and my son was Top Gun of his sniper class. I am neither anti gun nor religiously pro gun either. But I know when a grown 'man's needs a severe beatdown. Any man who threatens the family/children needs a reckoning. An introduction to Satan.
So relived that you are all well. Red

·
Registered
278 Posts
So glad every thing turned out ok. I sincerely hope your friends daughter will be ok. I would have had a hard time not making that A-hole eat his words and teeth. But you all did the right thing and brought the law in. I conceal carry as often as I can especially in the woods just for the 2 legged animals. I was carrying a lcr with 38+p’s but have since increased my fire power to a 1911 in 10mm for woods carry.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sig Sauer 45 ACP competition target
Ruger SP 101 357 mag spurless hammer ... this might be an ATV forum but taking care of oneself and family is more than gas/ tent / food.
I admire your restraint, I might have fully lost it. Make sure that the kids know that people care. So sad men like that exist and roam free.

·
Super Moderator
1,372 Posts
Firearms go right along with a ATV when you are out in the wilds, you just never know what you might run into where one might be needed.

I have a assortment to choose from, from a .22 all the way up to a .45 and everything in between.

Reactions: se3388 and Rob-c

·
Registered
276 Posts
We should all get together and be the "ATV RANGERS " climbing hills and chasing the DEVIANTS. Think that will make for good dream.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update.
The Sheriff Contacted my Nephew and said that the stranger that we had the issue with is a convicted arsonist and on probation for assault with a deadly weapon. He has a criminal record a couple pages long. Hopefully this will be the end of his freedom for a while. We were in the planning stages of building our cabin there but after this information I vote to wait a while.
THEY STILL HAVE NOT MADE AN ARREST? Not sure why but none the less it will be an interesting year at deer camp.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You guys handled that well. Removing that mans hands sure would make his life of crime more difficult lol

Im waiting for the day when I come up on a couple of riders blocking the trail. Which is common enough. To try some slick stuff, like taking my machine, and leave me stranded. Hopefully having a weapon in that situation can help the outcome.

Reactions: se3388

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad everyone is ok, bad part is the young lady has to deal with all that in her mind. Hopefully she has a good head on her shoulders. I had a situation kind of like that with a house I bought in a short sale by a Bank.

Steve..........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts