Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice the glove box being a oven after short period of time does anyone have a good solution in keeping it cool

·
Registered
232 Posts
I assume you have a 708 kodiak, these engines are very lean and put off a lot of heat. I installed a EHS racing fuel tuner and blocked of the AIS.By increasing the fuel to the engine it greatly reduces the heat output from the exhaust/ engine. You can do some searching on the positive effects of doing this. A second idea would be removing your upper plastic and glove box from the wheeler and install a small sheet of self adhesive heat shield under the box.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine gets excessively hot too, So i just keep my goggles and gloves in it. nothing that could be impacted by heat.

I just added fender bags to use for storage instead for the important stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have read somewhere that people have install heat tape to the underside of the plastic. Maybe try header wrap on exhaust. I also have EHS tuner and AIS deleted and some other stuff. Mine does not seem to get as hot after the tuner as it did before I installed it. Hope this helps. Good luck. It will melt your grilled cheese sandwich if you keep it in the glove box is an upside in winter.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I have read somewhere that people have install heat tape to the underside of the plastic. Maybe try header wrap on exhaust. I also have EHS tuner and AIS deleted and some other stuff. Mine does not seem to get as hot after the tuner as it did before I installed it. Hope this helps. Good luck. It will melt your grilled cheese sandwich if you keep it in the glove box is an upside in winter.
I can back you up on that sammich comment. I tossed a cold McDonald's cheeseburger, still wrap up age in paper bag, we stopped for lunch about 3hrs into our trip, guys fired up the little camp stove, and I suddenly remembered that burger, when I pulled it out, it was warm like it just came from the drivethru window, cheese was a bit melty too....
So now that's my second use, along with keeping a second pair of gloves warm in the winter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: john zane

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
I drove around for a few days with a bag of trail mix in it last February and none of the chocolates were melted when I took them out to eat.

I might have to take a ride this summer and check the temperature with a actual thermometer and see just how warm it gets.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anyone block off the AIS Without doing the air filter mod? And is this ok to do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone block off the AIS Without doing the air filter mod? And is this ok to do?
Yes you can do it on a stock air box and it will help with deceleration popping and couldn't hurt the heat issue. Just remove inner fender and tire and block the hose.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was just going to block it off right at the AIS outside hose connection.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes and yes . I ran mine and the wife’s for a year with just the AIS blocked off stock filter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Interesting thing is according to my service manual description of the ais system it says the Reed valve only opens when idling and low coolant temps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting thing is according to my service manual description of the ais system it says the Reed valve only opens when idling and low coolant temps.
It greatly improved the poping on deceleration on my 17 and wife’s 16. You are not going to hurt a thing by blocking the hose.

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have had some reservations on blocking the AIS because I have never felt my Kodiak ran hot. My spark plug is always the perfect golden brown and clean when I check it. So thought I would try it anyway and after I plugged off the AIS today I went for a ride and after a half mile I had huge cloud of white smoke surrounding me and Kodiak. Quickly hit kill switch and checked dipstick because of strong oil smell. Dipstick was out of the spout, have it teathered So not lost, put back in and drove slowly back to barn and spent 2 hours cleaning the mess and added 12oz of oil to top it back off. Thinking I may have not put the dipstick back in all the way when I checked it this morning, I went for another ride and it happened again dipstick pushed up and out again 😡 I was keeping an eye on it so didn’t loose as much oil. So tomorrow I will be unplugging the AIS and putting back to normal. It must be increasing my oil pressure, it’s the only thing I can think of that could be pushing the dipstick out. I have never read of anyone having this problem from blocking the AIS.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I have had some reservations on blocking the AIS because I have never felt my Kodiak ran hot. My spark plug is always the perfect golden brown and clean when I check it. So thought I would try it anyway and after I plugged off the AIS today I went for a ride and after a half mile I had huge cloud of white smoke surrounding me and Kodiak. Quickly hit kill switch and checked dipstick because of strong oil smell. Dipstick was out of the spout, have it teathered So not lost, put back in and drove slowly back to barn and spent 2 hours cleaning the mess and added 12oz of oil to top it back off. Thinking I may have not put the dipstick back in all the way when I checked it this morning, I went for another ride and it happened again dipstick pushed up and out again I was keeping an eye on it so didn’t loose as much oil. So tomorrow I will be unplugging the AIS and putting back to normal. It must be increasing my oil pressure, it’s the only thing I can think of that could be pushing the dipstick out. I have never read of anyone having this problem from blocking the AIS.
No way the 2 are connected. It's air into the exhaust, no way it can effect oil pressure

·
Registered
627 Posts
No way the 2 are connected. It's air into the exhaust, no way it can effect oil pressure

I'm wondering if it's a head gasket. I'm not sure if there is a pcv valve or such on these engines but it's definitely building crank case pressure to blow the stick out. I know a failed head gasket on an air cooled engine with ohv's can pressurize the crank case but I'm not sure on a liquid cooled engine. I just replaced the head gasket on my lawn tractor this week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I pit my tacos..in that box...senior

·
Registered
232 Posts
On the right side of the air box( sitting on the atv ) is the breather hose for the engine. Might want to check it out, I just can’t see how blocking off the AIS could cause the oil filter dip stick to pop out

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had some reservations on blocking the AIS because I have never felt my Kodiak ran hot. My spark plug is always the perfect golden brown and clean when I check it. So thought I would try it anyway and after I plugged off the AIS today I went for a ride and after a half mile I had huge cloud of white smoke surrounding me and Kodiak. Quickly hit kill switch and checked dipstick because of strong oil smell. Dipstick was out of the spout, have it teathered So not lost, put back in and drove slowly back to barn and spent 2 hours cleaning the mess and added 12oz of oil to top it back off. Thinking I may have not put the dipstick back in all the way when I checked it this morning, I went for another ride and it happened again dipstick pushed up and out again 😡 I was keeping an eye on it so didn’t loose as much oil. So tomorrow I will be unplugging the AIS and putting back to normal. It must be increasing my oil pressure, it’s the only thing I can think of that could be pushing the dipstick out. I have never read of anyone having this problem from blocking the AIS.
I had a blocked vent line from my oil tank on a Harley and it shot the dip stick out and blasted my leg with hot oil. I really doubt the AIS delete is responsible but It has shown you that the crank case vent might be blocked. I'm very interested in your findings. Please keep us posted as to the results. Best of luck.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
530 Posts
On the right side of the air box( sitting on the atv ) is the breather hose for the engine. Might want to check it out, I just can’t see how blocking off the AIS could cause the oil filter dip stick to pop out
Yup that's the one I blocked. No issues until I did this, maybe I pinched something else but will be taking it apart this afternoon to look.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yup that's the one I blocked. No issues until I did this, maybe I pinched something else but will be taking it apart this afternoon to look.
Ok wait, so if your sitting on the atv the hose you blocked off is going to the right side of the air box? If you did it’s the wrong one. you want to block off the one on the left side, the side your shifter is on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts