Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon this (probably dumb) question but how does the reserve fuel tank work on a Yamaha ATV? My Kodiak 450 manual says fuel capacity is 3.7 gallons with a 1.06 gallon reserve fuel capacity? Does this mean the low fuel light comes on when I have 1 gallon left? Do I need to do something special to utilize the reserve? Thanks

Super Moderator
It has always been my understanding that the 3.7 gallons is the full tank capacity from empty to full.

Then the so called reserve is when the low fuel light comes on, you don't need to do a thing to use it unlike the older machines that you had to turn a valve to utilize the reserve.

Registered
Use that reserve on the way to a gas station!!! LOL, sorry...I just couldn't resist! :D

Do I need to do something special to utilize the reserve? Thanks

Super Moderator
You just need to figure how far you went on that first 2.7 gallons before that low fuel light went on. Then divide that by 3 and you will pretty much know how far you can travel on that last 1 gallon of fuel.

Registered
The carbed 450 in our group does right around 60 miles before the light comes on and HAS run out at 80 miles. It has the lowest fuel range in the group, my 700 goes about 75 miles before the low fuel warning and I've never run out. The Fuel use on the 450 actually shocked me, it must be the CVT system since my Rancher 420's only have a 3.5 gallon tank and go 100+ miles on it, even the Heavier IRS one (heavier than my Kodiak 700)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to watch it on the next tank. It does seem to go from full to 1/2 pretty quickly. Thanks for the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts