Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a point of reference if anyone is interested, I ran my Kodiak 700 until it started to sputter out of gas. I got 165 km per tank, filled to the brim. That would be about 100 miles for the Americans. The fuel light starts flashing around 120km.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I call them Smiles Per Gallon! :)

Reactions: Colorado Kodiak 700

·
Registered
534 Posts
Very interesting! What octain is that fuel, is it no ethanol? I think that is very impressive to get that kind of fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"the fuel light starts flashing at around 120km"...

I didnt even know there was a fuel light...but did you make a typo?? 120km equals about 70 miles, I dont think it would start flashing at 70 miles remaining

·
Registered
534 Posts
I usually use an 89 octane with no ethanol. I have used the lower octane with ethanol, as some of the guys say it works ok, it seems to, but don't leave it in there unless you are going to use it soon! By the way, thanks for teaching me how to spell octain!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys ..i know im late in to conversation but ive a September 2019 kodiak with about 1900kms on it and can only get 5kms to the litre....about 14 miles per gallon. That is one person no trailer lambing sheep....so no major pressure on it
Seems thirsty but im not sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys ..i know im late in to conversation but ive a September 2019 kodiak with about 1900kms on it and can only get 5kms to the litre....about 14 miles per gallon. That is one person no trailer lambing sheep....so no major pressure on it
Seems thirsty but im not sure.
Thanks
If you're on and off a lot with the throttle and not actually doing any cruising long distances, then that would be normal fuel consumption for driving around a property.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
People think that these machines get great fuel mileage which isn't true. I have a 4x4 diesel truck that gets way better then my Kodiak and it weighs in at over 6,000 lbs.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Hondroid. I was just wondering as its my first 700cc bike. Have a foreman 500 as well at the moment. We were always honda quads here.. This is real mountain with very slow terrain averaging just 10 kms an hour... the funny thing is the honda is doing the same work and averaging just over 7.kms an hour.....seems we travel a bit faster on same terrain with the kodiak cos its much more comfortable. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
People think that these machines get great fuel mileage which isn't true. I have a 4x4 diesel truck that gets way better then my Kodiak and it weighs in at over 6,000 lbs.
Your Kodiak is a heck of alot better on fuel then my 600 and 700 triple two stroke Yamaha snowmobiles. Lol.
Between the gas and oil consumptions my quad is about 3 times more efficient then the sleds.
BUT the smiles per miles is incomparaible with 120+ hp!!!!

That said, I can get anywhere from 75 to 110 miles per tank on my little 550 Grizz

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
534 Posts
To be blunt, the science and design on these things does not lead to great fuel economy. Easy level riding will lead to the best mileage.

·
Grizzled Mod
308 Posts
My right thumb has a mind of its own and doesn't seem to give a crap about fuel mileage.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My right thumb has a mind of its own and doesn't seem to give a crap about fuel mileage.

Lol!

Glad you jumped aboard the Kodiak forum bud! More knowledge / experience shared between both forums the better!

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts

I agree, why worry about fuel mileage when you are having fun. Even if you take a long trail ride you should have enough fuel in the tank for at least a day if not two depending on how your are riding. Then if you want to stretch it out some carry a 2 gallon jug or so with you.

I know that when I am out hunting I'll fill up every couple of days usually no matter how far I have ridden and if I plan on going a longer distance I'll fill up before I take that long ride.

Since I have just the base model I am going to see just how far I can ride once the low fuel light comes on this summer. That is my biggest concern right now as far as riding distance is concerned.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks Hondroid. I was just wondering as its my first 700cc bike. Have a foreman 500 as well at the moment. We were always honda quads here.. This is real mountain with very slow terrain averaging just 10 kms an hour... the funny thing is the honda is doing the same work and averaging just over 7.kms an hour.....seems we travel a bit faster on same terrain with the kodiak cos its much more comfortable. Thanks for your reply
Your Honda will use less gas because it has about half the horse power.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I once owned a lifted full sized bronco with 351 riding on 33's. After having to fuel that sucker,everything I've owned since has been a dream on fuel lol. When I shut it off, I swear I could hear it burp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts