Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been out putting miles on my new 19’ SE and I’ve noticed the front brakes feel pretty mushy. It takes a good 2/3 of the lever travel distance to lock up the front wheels which seems excessive to me. The front discs on both my Rancher 420s take a lot less effort and far less lever travel to lockup the wheels. I already did a quick brake bleed to see if any air came out but didn’t notice any. Dealer is over an hour away and I honestly don’t remember how the brakes felt on the other Kodiak/Grizzlies I test rode so I don’t know if this is the normal “feel” for these brakes. If the normal isn’t mushy then I’ll try and back bleed from the calipers and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I very seldom if ever use my front brakes. If you lock them up you will loose the steering control of the bike.

Other than that my hand grip will move about 1/2 way and then within another short distance it will go solid or to a locked up condition.

The rear is about the same as far as travel distance is concerned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I very seldom if ever use my front brakes. If you lock them up you will loose the steering control of the bike.

Other than that my hand grip will move about 1/2 way and then within another short distance it will go solid or to a locked up condition.

The rear is about the same as far as travel distance is concerned.

Ok. that's about what I'm seeing. You can hear/feel the brake light switch click almost right away then the lever travels just about 1/2 way before it does anything but once it starts braking it doesn't take too much more travel to lock them up. I use both brakes normally but I was sort of alarmed by the feel of the front brakes compared to my 420 ES. My 420 starts engaging right after the switch clicks and will lock the tires well before 1/2 way, and that's with heavy 27" Vampires on the 420. Best way I can describe it is the front discs almost feel like good cable operated drum brakes, which not the best feeling.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your description is not much different than what I have on my 18, so I am not sure you have a problem other than it not being like what you are used to. I have not bled these brakes, or looked at the brake lines, but if they have a loop in them, they can be hard to get a small bubble out. A small bubble will do as you describe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use my front brake and it doesn't seem like I have to squeeze the lever very far before it engages. Is there a tension adjustment on the lever?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts