Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running PitBull Growlers 26" X 9 fronts and 11 rears for almost 2 years 2500 miles all on factory SE wheels . Love this set up, zero balancing issues, or handle shakes, steers with priscision, bite threw anything, tough as heck , and wear like iron!!!!

But I've always been curious on how skinnies would performance at all four corners. So I took the pludge and ordered the last two 26"x9 Growlers from Royal Distributing at a discounted prices ( they no longer sell them) and scored two factory aluminum front 6" wheels for cheap. I ll still need to strip and Polish my new wheels at a later time.

Attachments

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those are great looking tires! I'm curios to hear what your opinion is on the skinny set up.
It's been absolutely fantastic!!!! All our trails and hills have been VERY slimy from excessive rain, and all water crossings very deep ( up to my seat). Not once did I ever have any problems. I'm really enjoying the sportier feel!!! Actually switch my older 2500 mile fronts to the back to enjoy more drifting action!!!! The fresh rear Growlers have tremendous bite and don't drift around as easily.

·
Registered
301 Posts
so now you have 9 inch all the way around. very cool.

I love the look of those tires!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Those are great looking tires! I'm curios to hear what your opinion is on the skinny set up.
so now you have 9 inch all the way around. very cool.

I love the look of those tires!!
Absolutely love my Growlers!

The square skinny set up is nice and has proven to be very capable. It's takes away a little bit of the tractor feel, for sportier over all experience.

Though I will will be switching back and fourth between the four skinnies and the 11" wide rears as to maximize overall tire tread life. I'll probably be running the big rear tires for winter as we usually get 4 feet of snow every year and the extra boyency will be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
477 Posts
UPS uses narrow tires on their trucks, and the reason is more weight per square inch on the ground, and that gives better traction on snow and wet roads. This experiment is very interesting!

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
If you have ever driven with wide tires that distribute the weight more equally you will find that they don't give as much traction as a skinny one. It is the same with a dual wheel drive pickup truck. They are worthless on mud, snow and ice covered roads until you add enough weight into the bed to actually get them to get some traction. We would place at least a 1000 lbs into the back of those truck just to drive them on slick roads.

It's the same with ATV's.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Exactly.....

I originally installed my 9" wides in the rear to try and prove to myself that they would be in some ways inferior to my big 11" wide rears. Boy was I proven WRONG! Matter a fact I have not found ANY situation where the 9" rears are at any times inferior to my big heavy wides!!! Very eye opening experience.

Attachments

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Living room decorations?

Found a new use for my 11" wide Growlers . :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love winter quading!!!

Hope I never grow up!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I see a cord. Are we talking atv wheel lamp? Lol or atv wheel speaker system? Im just messin lol

With my tires inside everyone fussed about the rubber smell

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see a cord. Are we talking atv wheel lamp? Lol or atv wheel speaker system? Im just messin lol

With my tires inside everyone fussed about the rubber smell
I give them a quick bath in the tub with soap and warm water, and that gets the release agent off them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Larger then advertised

-On the left fresh 26 x 9" Growler @ 5 psi

-On the right 26 x 11" with 2600 miles @ 5 psi
(was 26.5" when new)

Both measure 26 1/4" tall free standing.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I saw a set of Sedona Rip Saws at my dealer on Friday. Nice looking tire. I thought they looked a lot like the PitBull Growler. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I saw a set of Sedona Rip Saws at my dealer on Friday. Nice looking tire. I thought they looked a lot like the PitBull Growler. Am I wrong?
Very wrong

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Reviving an old thread here... sorry.
I love this idea. I may work towards this. But I have a concern. Much of my riding is steep mountain trails where width and stability is really key. I almost never get to ride in snow. So switching to the narrow rear tires would effectively lose an inch on each side for stability. I’m already running 1” spacers on all 4. Given that scenario, would you say keep the wider tires?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Reviving an old thread here... sorry.
I love this idea. I may work towards this. But I have a concern. Much of my riding is steep mountain trails where width and stability is really key. I almost never get to ride in snow. So switching to the narrow rear tires would effectively lose an inch on each side for stability. I’m already running 1” spacers on all 4. Given that scenario, would you say keep the wider tires?
Do what ever you feel is best for you.

I ve switched back and forth between my 11" growlers to 9" rears on both my 2009 grizzly (1" spacers x4) and my 2019 grizzly ( no spacers) multiple times.... I've never noticed any significant difference in stability from fatty to skinny rear tires on either machine.

Reactions: RedRocket and JD864
1 - 20 of 21 Posts