Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
the manual is kinda grey on what to use in the front and rear diffs.
looks like they are the same fluid?
what are you guys using?
gonna hit my first service time soon....thanks

Super Moderator
For the front you can use any gear lube in it.

For the rear you need a gear lube that has the GL-4 or higher rating for the wet brake. I use Valvoline SynPower 75w-90 which is GL-4 rated and put it in both front and rear.

When you do the rear there are 2 plugs on the bottom of the diff. The one towards the back only drains part of the rear diff and if you want to drain all of it pull the plug towards the front. Then when you refill it take the plug out that is on the side of the diff, this is how you make sure that you have enough fluid in the diff, you then just fill it from the plug on the rear until it comes out of the hole on the side.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
For the front you can use any gear lube in it.

For the rear you need a gear lube that has the GL-4 or higher rating for the wet brake. I use Valvoline SynPower 75w-90 which is GL-4 rated and put it in both front and rear.

When you do the rear there are 2 plugs on the bottom of the diff. The one towards the back only drains part of the rear diff and if you want to drain all of it pull the plug towards the front. Then when you refill it take the plug out that is on the side of the diff, this is how you make sure that you have enough fluid in the diff, you then just fill it from the plug on the rear until it comes out of the hole on the side.

thanks!!!

Registered
Does the current year manual still recommend mobilfluid 424 for the rear? My 2016 manual says to use 424 which is really just tractor transmission fluid. I use an equivelent fluid to the 424 in the rear and a 75w90 in the front.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Does the current year manual still recommend mobilfluid 424 for the rear? My 2016 manual says to use 424 which is really just tractor transmission fluid. I use an equivelent fluid to the 424 in the rear and a 75w90 in the front.

that threw me off also, the king quad has a wet brake also and used the mobil 424 or tractor fluid in the rear and 80-90 in the front.
looks like the newer Kodiak uses the same in the front and rear.
i thought that was kind of odd also.

Super Moderator
There is no problem using it in the front and rear. The gear lube just has the friction modifier in it to give it the GL-4 rating. Just about any and all synthetic rear end fluids will have it.

Registered
I just put Mobilfluid 424 in the front and rear on our ATV's 2 days ago, for the first time diff oil service in 4 years. I had to buy it online as no one stocks it within 100 miles of me.

Super Moderator
If you don't want to purchase a full 2.5 gallons of Mobilfluid you can always get the Yamaha fluid in a quart bottle. Depending on what you actually pay for the Mobilfluid the Yamaha rear diff fluid may be close to the same price. But shipping may be a killer.

Registered
My Main concern with Tractor Oil, Mobilfluid included, is that it's a lighter weight oil usually around 10w to 30w which far thinner than the Yamalube gear oil. From the 424 spec sheet "May be used in applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs"

Registered
My Main concern with Tractor Oil, Mobilfluid included, is that it's a lighter weight oil usually around 10w to 30w which far thinner than the Yamalube gear oil. From the 424 spec sheet "May be used in applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs"
What is a hypoid gear design?

Property
Brookfield Viscosity @ -20 C, mPa.s, ASTM D29834300
Density @ 15.6 C, kg/l, ASTM D40520.88
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, 掳C, ASTM D92198
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D4459.3
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44555
Pour Point, 掳C, ASTM D97-42
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270145

This is Greek to me...buy this is what Mobilfluid 424 lists for viscosity...maybe someone can translate?

Registered
What is Hypoid?
The term "hypoid" has more to do with the construction of engine gears than it does with oil. Early automotive engineering involved gears that meshed with each other straight on. When you think of gears, this flat face-to-face gear teeth approach is what we learned as kids in cartoons and marketing images of big machinery. However, automotive design soon figured out this gear approach was inefficient and also very loud when running. Thus, the "hypoid" design was invented which basically has two gears shaped like Christmas trees mesh with each other at 90 degree angles or similar. The hypoid approach reduced gear-meshing noise and it allowed greater torque pressure for stronger drive. The design was so successful every car and vehicle today uses it as a standard transmission design. Due to the higher pressure on gears as a result, the lubrication needed has to include ingredients to provide more protection for the gears. This special gear oil is designed not to deconstruct under higher pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts