Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in northern quebeca and just bought a new machine. It wont start in the cold?
I charged the battery, added fuel line antifreeze, but it still wont start after a few hours outside. Starts fine when warm. Any tips on what to do? *It get down to -40c, here at night sometimes*

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in northern Minnesota and I haven't found a fix for the no starting in the cold either I really wish they had some sort of block heater plugin like they do on the trucks. I've found anything under -30c I cant get mine to start either, if I get it in the warm garage after a couple of hours it will fire up no problem. I thought about trying a higher cold cranking battery in it but this battery is still brand new. I'm pretty sure these little wimpy ATV batteries just aren't built for the cold. In the winter my buddy mounts a full size truck battery on the back rack of his 1999 Polaris sportsman and that thing will fire up in -40 no problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in northern quebeca and just bought a new machine. It wont start in the cold?
I charged the battery, added fuel line antifreeze, but it still wont start after a few hours outside. Starts fine when warm. Any tips on what to do? *It get down to -40c, here at night sometimes*
I have the same issue, starts ok down to -10/-15*C, after that it won't start. See thread "Engine stalling on cold start" post 12 and 17.

I've done the same as you did so fare. Contacted the dealer about factory oil viscosity/grade. He indicated to me that my ATV came with 20W-40 which is meant for +10*C and above.

Today I changed the oil to 5W-30. Tomorrow night the temperature will be going below -20*C, Saturday morning I will try starting my Kodiak again. I will post my result then.

·
Registered
142 Posts
IT was -28 here this morning and i had to plow snow before going to work. I tried mine four times and it would kick then stall. The fifth time i just lightly touched the throtle and hit the button and it started.I know everyone always says never touch the throtle on anything EFI when starting but i didnt have much choice to try it. Give it a try guys if your bike wont start and see if it works for you. Post after and let us know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IT was -28 here this morning and i had to plow snow before going to work. I tried mine four times and it would kick then stall. The fifth time i just lightly touched the throtle and hit the button and it started.I know everyone always says never touch the throtle on anything EFI when starting but i didnt have much choice to try it. Give it a try guys if your bike wont start and see if it works for you. Post after and let us know.
General rule of thumbs, I don't. But on the two occasions that I could not start my Kodiak I did try it, did not help. :frown2:
On the other hand, as I indicated on my previous post, I changed my oil to 5W-30 since my dealer indicated to me that the Kodiak came with 20W-40 from factory.

Today with wind chill we were also around -26C, but actual temperature was around -15C and she started 1st shot without hesitation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What the h*ll? Are your machines broken in yet? Did you try everything mentioned in the other threads, plug, air filter saturated, 0w oil. Never heard or seen this problem around here with my or other peoples Kodiak/grizzly and it's freakin cold out. I start mine first push every time, my dad to. Gotta be something simple. I'm thinking some are just to lean from factory. That and the AIS for environmental reasons. Keep positive, someday someone's gonna figure it all out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My machine is broken in. It's got about 1500km on it (based on the odometer of a friend's bike, we usually ride together). 5W40 Euro-spec synthetic oil. Filter clean. Would not start last Saturday morning (was -22 in Georgefield, Nova Scotia last weekend). Cranked very slowly, but no start. Connected booster cables, started after an extended crank time. Once started it worked perfectly the rest of the day.

Tonight I put the bike out of the garage to work on a friend's car. It was outside for about two hours. -14C with a windchill of -25 or so. It did start, but it was very reluctant - slow crank and a fart through the throttle body, then started on the second attempt. I'm thinking lean when cold too.

I should also point out that the bike is always kept on a battery maintainer. It was fully charged. I do agree that it's too small for the machine though, and may put an automotive battery in the rear seat storage compartment (nothing huge, maybe a Honda Civic battery). I did this with my old Arctic Cat 400 and it worked great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update,

Finally some decent cold. Morning temperature is -24C and -30C with wind chill. Having changed my oil to5W-30 the new Kodiak (200km) started1st try, without hesitation, without applying gas, as is should. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
A Fuel Controller can richen her up in the cold because the air is more dense(more oxygen). Hard cold starts and backfiring is usually a result of a lean condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same issue with starting in the cold, really hard starts, backfiring, the whole deal. Last week I tried to start it in -15 C and something made a loud bang, as soon as I heard it I knew it was f*$ked. I tried one more time just to see if it was, sure enough, ,sounded like gravel in a blender. Mine wasn't on the list for the decompression spring but I'm kinda hoping that's what it is, at least it's a known issue, either way it's a trip to the dealer to get it dealt with. I'm also hoping changing the oil will help mine with cold starts. Thanks for the update LoneKodiak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm having the same issue with starting in the cold, really hard starts, backfiring, the whole deal. Last week I tried to start it in -15 C and something made a loud bang, as soon as I heard it I knew it was f*$ked. I tried one more time just to see if it was, sure enough, ,sounded like gravel in a blender. Mine wasn't on the list for the decompression spring but I'm kinda hoping that's what it is, at least it's a known issue, either way it's a trip to the dealer to get it dealt with. I'm also hoping changing the oil will help mine with cold starts. Thanks for the update LoneKodiak.
Hopefully it's an easy fixe and the dealer will take care of it under warranty. Nothing major I hope. In my case I bought my Kodiak in January, you would think the oil would have been graded for winter temperatures.

Keep us informed on how your problem is solved

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I brought my Kodiak to the dealer, they took care of the problem with no issues. Turns out it was the idler gear in the starter clutch. The guy I was talking to said that they come from the factory with 20w50 and that they had a TSB in November to change the oil for colder climates. That was around the same time I bought mine (from a different dealer because I could get it cheaper). So I'll give the other dealer the benefit of the doubt. They put in a new idler gear, changed the oil and now it starts first try every time. Pretty pleased with how professional and quick they were, it was only there half a day. So if anyone is having the same problem with hard starts in the cold, try changing your oil first to avoid more trouble.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't had any more problems with mine starting since that one weekend where it was -30F. Apparently Minnesota doesn't get winter like we used to. After that one weekend its been almost like spring conditions with the highs in the 50's. So I will definitely be putting thinner oil in at the end of fall this year to see if it makes a difference in the cold starting conditions. It kind of sucks have to wait for the woods to dry out a bit before riding season can begin:frown2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I brought my Kodiak to the dealer, they took care of the problem with no issues. Turns out it was the idler gear in the starter clutch. The guy I was talking to said that they come from the factory with 20w50 and that they had a TSB in November to change the oil for colder climates. That was around the same time I bought mine (from a different dealer because I could get it cheaper). So I'll give the other dealer the benefit of the doubt. They put in a new idler gear, changed the oil and now it starts first try every time. Pretty pleased with how professional and quick they were, it was only there half a day. So if anyone is having the same problem with hard starts in the cold, try changing your oil first to avoid more trouble.
When mine acted up I changed to 5W-30, and like you said, started like a charm. Glade to hear damage was minimal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts