Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 700 eps Se will float and if not, what can I do inconspicuous to make it float?

Super Moderator
It won't float with a rider on it but sink like a rock instead. That is until the rider fall off and then it will turn upside down and float.

If you want to make it float you are going to have to put air jacket around it or some pontoons.

Registered
I can speak from personal experience that the machine will definitely float. Whether it floats upside down or right-side up is entirely determined by the ability of the rider to balance the machine - similar to balancing a canoe. Unless you're headed out to sea, keep your hand on the gas and don't stop!

Super Moderator
That's actually called hydroplaning where you just go as fast as you can across the water.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
That鈥檚 kinda what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm it with other owners. Thanks for your input guys! Last thing I need is to be stuck in a really deep mud hole 10 miles in the Everglades because it sank!

Super Moderator
It won't sink, the tires have enough air in them to float it in deep enough water but mud is another thing.

You also have to figure that in water they will be top heavy, that is why they will turn upside down but you'll still be able to see it. Then it will be called Bob

Registered
That's actually called hydroplaning where you just go as fast as you can across the water.
I wasn't actually referring to hydroplaning. All I was saying is don't let yourself become a bobber. Some progress forward, even a foot at a time is better than stopping.

Super Moderator
It all depends on how deep the water is. If the Kodiak is submerged then you won't be going anywhere unless you have a snorkel and even then you may bog out once the water causes a problem with the electronics.

Registered
It all depends on how deep the water is. If the Kodiak is submerged then you won't be going anywhere unless you have a snorkel and even then you may bog out once the water causes a problem with the electronics.
I guess that's true. I've only been in water 5-feet deep with it and it floated. As long as I kept the tires spinning I was able to make enough progress to get out. I can't say what happens when you sink a machine, I've never done that and really have no desire to try :wink2:

Registered
I guess its whatever floats your ATV..................well, that just doesn't sound as good as "whatever floats your boat". There was a thread on here a couple years ago that had pictures of his Kodiak floating by using front and rear plastic cargo boxes on his machine, and he said it worked great. I don't think my Kodiak would float with my fat carcass straddling it without some type of added bouyance, and I am not about to test this theorem to find out. But whatever!

Registered
I dare say your somewhere you shouldn't be if you encounter a situation that you need floating capability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts