Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 17 Kodiak EPS I just bought has Sedona Rip Saw tires on it and they are what I call 'flat profile' tire. This is the first power steering ATV I have had and it seems like it is 'darty' or seems to want to pull in different directions on rough roads (they call them hunting roads around here) through the National Forest. They are basic gravel roads with A LOT of rocks sticking up from volley ball size to marble size with some sticking up several inches. Is it the flat profile tire causing this? I have rode ATV's with 'regular' tires over roads like this and they didn't seem so 'darty' but they weren't EPS.

Steve...........

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interesting . I run the bear claw k299’s. I consider them a squared tire, but they are bias ply on 3 of my atv’s and I’ve never had that happen. Maybe some one one else that runs the sedonas will chime in. What size are you running?

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
357 Posts
I’m with you Steve... let me know what you find. Alignment makes a big difference. But mine has been dirty with OEM’s and with Reptiles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the fronts are 26x10x12 and the rears are 26x11x12.

Steve............

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the fronts are 26x10x12 and the rears are 26x11x12.

Steve............
Did your atv wander before you installed the sedonas ?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Power steering will not cause darting. It's either an alignment problem or tires or combination.

What's your Tire pressure at?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rob-c

I just bought the Kodiak this past week and it had the Sedonia Rip Saw's on it then. If the ride is on a smooth straight line road/trail/yard etc it isn't too 'darty'. I have some Maxxis Zilla+ tires to get put on Monday and we'll see if that is part or all of the problem.

Steve..........

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rob-c

I just bought the Kodiak this past week and it had the Sedonia Rip Saw's on it then. If the ride is on a smooth straight line road/trail/yard etc it isn't 'darty'. I have some Maxxis tires to get put on Monday and we'll see if that is part or all of the problem.

Steve..........
Since you just bought it , have you checked for loose or bad ball joints / tie rods etc. If all checks out tight let us know how you make out with the Maxxis .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything checks out on the suspension except the rear spindles sleeves and the rear torsion bar bushings and end links. Got all that coming to rebuild.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Everything checks out on the suspension except the rear spindles sleeves and the rear torsion bar bushings and end links. Got all that coming to rebuild.
That's torsion bar, is actually your stabilizer bar...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Good to know, but it's getting rebuilt anyway. LOL. Hopefully the profile of the tire turns out to be what the problem is. Everything up front was tight and with just a rough eyeballing of the alignment it "looked" ok but we all know how "looked ok" can turn out.

Steve.............

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got the Zillas mounted and put on the Kodiak today and took it for a ride. The new tires cured 90% of the "dartyness". They handle pretty good on the Forest Road, gravel road and short run down the pavement. Now I need to have it rain so we can find some mud and see how they do in it.

Steve..........

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Glad that part is worked out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts