Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new member, first post, so please be nice.
I bought a new 2018 Kodiak 450 last weekend and rather than pay the dealer $300 to install the winch, I thought since it was “pre-wired” I could do it myself. I think I found the connector for the switch, but I can’t find the wires that would go to the winch. Can someone tell me where to look and what I'm looking for? The video shows large blue and yellow wires but I think that's just from the relay to the winch. FYI…I bought the factory Yamaha/Warn winch.

·
Super Moderator
1,261 Posts
I can't help you much since my winch was already on when I bought my Kodiak but what wires came in the box with the winch?

All the winches that I have installed on ATV's I have had to run all of them and on my 2016 Kodiak you can see where they wired the main hot lead for the winch into the battery, and the wiring for the switch was a part of the switch that had to be brought down to the relays for the winch.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Hi everyone, new member, first post, so please be nice.
I bought a new 2018 Kodiak 450 last weekend and rather than pay the dealer $300 to install the winch, I thought since it was “pre-wired” I could do it myself. I think I found the connector for the switch, but I can’t find the wires that would go to the winch. Can someone tell me where to look and what I'm looking for? The video shows large blue and yellow wires but I think that's just from the relay to the winch. FYI…I bought the factory Yamaha/Warn winch.
the blue and yellow are from relay/contactor to the winch. black and red from relay to battery.
should be a small wire that connects to ground post on relay where black is, and it will jump to middle spade terminal onrelay (should e 3 spades along side by the red and black post)
your switch should have 2 white plastic accessory plugs on it. one plugs into the matching one by battery on bike, the other just provides you with a spot to gain accessory power without cutting wires.
also, your switch probably has bullet connects, in the box, there should be 2 pigtail wires with bullets for the switch end, and spades for the relay.

thats all there is to the wiring

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 18 kodiak 450 was all prewired I hooked it all up pushed bumper back up and wire twisted and arced off itself and now it dont work did it burn out seloniod?? I tightened it back up ran machine 2 days without winch working now machine dont want to turnover any ideas plz or information

·
Registered
473 Posts
We are going to need more info and be a bit more complete in your description. Does your battery have a charge?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes it has a full charge all lights work headlight , taillights , brake , speedometer all lights up it's like its in gear nothing happens when you hit start button?? Checked fuses under seat is there another fuse location ?

·
Super Moderator
1,261 Posts
You are pretty much going to have to figure this one out on your own. I have a repair manual for a 700 so I am not sure how close it would be to the 450.

But for a no start condition here is what it says to check:

6. Switches and wiring
• Faulty main switch
• Faulty engine stop switch
• Broken or shorted wiring
• Faulty gear position switch
• Faulty start switch
• Faulty brake light switch
• Improperly grounded circuit
• Loose connections

7. Starting system
• Faulty starter motor
• Faulty starter relay
• Faulty starter clutch

You are going to have to break out a volt/ohm meter and start checking things such as the voltage to the starter, engine grounds, and so forth.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Normally this would be something you jared lose, when you were working on the winch wiring, check all connection for a tight fit, and be sure to check the kill switch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts