Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Read, your owners manual. It will give you a lot of information about what oil to use and its viscosity.

Most will just use YamaLube

Others will use a full synthetic

I am using Valvoline ATV oil.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Owners manual will keep you from using some strange oils that may not be ideal. Before some fella tells you to throw some wal mart oil in it

Im newish to atvs, my owners manual mentioned yamalube...

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you are sure it's broken in, my recommendation is Shell rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ran plain 10w40 Yamalube for the last 5500 miles with great results even in brutally -25c cold starts.

Just switched to Atv / Utv Amsoil full synthetic. My bike has 8000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
If you are sure it's broken in, my recommendation is Shell rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40.
This is exactly what I run in my 700 kodiak now that it's broken in. Bought a 5gal pail.... Should be good for a few changes. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you consider it broken in by the first oil change or the second? I know it's officially broken in after 800 miles but should Yamalube be used for one more round and then use synthetic at 1600 miles? That's what I was planning on doing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used Yamalube on the first oil change, I'll be using Rotella T6 from here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Read the book carefully, to be sure you get all the old oil out! I have switched to the Rotella 5W40 full synthetic.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do you consider it broken in by the first oil change or the second? I know it's officially broken in after 800 miles but should Yamalube be used for one more round and then use synthetic at 1600 miles? That's what I was planning on doing.
I waited till I had over 400 miles on my Kodiak before switching to Amsoil full synthetic ATV-UTV 10w-40. I figured it was broke in by then. It had 2 oil changes of Yamalube prior to that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The last couple of cars I bought came with synthetic, so why do we need to wait to put one in a Kodiak?

·
Registered
610 Posts
The last couple of cars I bought came with synthetic, so why do we need to wait to put one in a Kodiak?
From what I understand , vehicles that come with synthetic oil in them have had their engines broken in before leaving the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
according to the manual, break in period is 20 hours or 320km (200miles) whichever comes first. Ideally , that's when first change should be done.
my manual states this, as did the service department at my Yamaha dealership.

·
Registered
443 Posts
From what I understand , vehicles that come with synthetic oil in them have had their engines broken in before leaving the manufacturer.
Correct

·
Registered
442 Posts
Again this is very interesting, I now think that the manufacturers use additives or something to insure proper break in. After reading and researching, I am not sure they use a true synthetic on new engines.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
Break in oil can be conventional or synthetic. It's the additives used that determine how the oil works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts