Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2018 EPS SE as a carryover in early 2019. I know it sat outside at the dealership most days. Since I’ve had it it’s garaged when not in use. My question is the fading on the two panels in the picture. Are these two not painted and the rest are? Everything else looks brand new, but what I call the “hood” and the bezel over the gauges have faded to gray.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
I'm pretty sure the hood isn't painted, it's just a matte black plastic. My 2018 has probably **** outside in the sun more than any other bike, summer or winter. My plastic doesn't look like that at all. That looks like plastic that has been mistreated with armor all a couple times then left in the sun.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madmax

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
My 04 Honda Ranchers is now pink. The sun is brutal..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure the hood isn't painted, it's just a matte black plastic. My 2018 has probably **** outside in the sun more than any other bike, summer or winter. My plastic doesn't look like that at all. That looks like plastic that has been mistreated with armor all a couple times then left in the sun
Sent from my Pixel 5 using
It’s never been treated with anything unless the dealer did. Good news is that new panel from Partzilla is only $10.52 - did not expect that.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
My 04 Honda Ranchers is now pink. The sun is brutal..
Yeah but that's raw plastic, not paint. The special edition Yamahas are industrial paint.

That good old red honda plastic never did well. My cousin's old 250 big red still looks factory on one side, the the otherside where the windows are in his garage, the bike is pink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can ideally bring the color back with something like a Maguire's back to black if you didn't want to replace the panel.

Reactions: MTMark and Madmax

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
87 Posts
Bought my 2018 EPS SE as a carryover in early 2019. I know it sat outside at the dealership most days. Since I’ve had it it’s garaged when not in use. My question is the fading on the two panels in the picture. Are these two not painted and the rest are? Everything else looks brand new, but what I call the “hood” and the bezel over the gauges have faded to gray. View attachment 10798 View attachment 10799
Try some Maguire's detailer on it. I had a truck with faded plastics and soaked it with that stuff and brought it back to black.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
If I could get a new panel for ~$10 that's exactly what I would do. Otherwise, I'd get them painted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I could get a new panel for ~$10 that's exactly what I would do. Otherwise, I'd get them painted.
It’s on its way! I had no idea they were that reasonably priced. Curious why this looks this way if others don’t?

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Good Deal! Dealers use all kinds of "quick shine" products and eventually, the polymers lose the plasticizers.
Yup, all those "plastic shine" products do more harm than good in the long run. Especially anything armor all... Pure garbage there.
Good ole coat of wax is the best way to go in the end. More work, but it protects.

Reactions: MTMark

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That is surprising

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is surprising
Also ordered the upper panel for $11 and change - thought while I was on a roll I’d get the piece that surrounds the gauges. That’s when my luck ran out - $98 on sale from $140!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts