Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic on my 03 400 is in good shape but badly faded from sun. Anyone have a good restoration method? Rubbing compound didn’t cut it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I typed faded atv plastic restorer on Youtube and got about a dozen options.

Please keep us informed on what method you try and how well it works.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Have you tried some wax?

My 2000 Kodiak's plastics looked just as good when I sold it 2 years ago as it did when I bought it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried some wax?

My 2000 plastics looked just as good when I sold it 2 years ago as it did when I bought it.
Tried the wax - nada. Tried some of the YouTube methods including the heat gun. Admittedly I was somewhat hesitant about the heat. Nothing seemed to help much. My plastic has some white streaks as if it had been bent which has not happened. Hoping someone on here had the same problem

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
You might want to do a search for "plastic restorer" and see what comes up.

Usually once the plastic is faded there really isn't much that will bring it back without having to work on it every year or so.

·
Registered
530 Posts
For future reference, I have a spray bottle of Turtle wax (I cant remember the exact name) that reminds me of Armor-All that I put on my 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon and it went from a dull red to a shiny vibrant like new red. I was very impressed. I also have a spray can of Amsoil "Mudslinger" that gave me the same results.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
I actually wished that the finish on the new bikes was duller than it is.

A shiny machine is hard to hide off of the trail when you are out hunting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually wished that the finish on the new bikes was duller than it is.

A shiny machine is hard to hide off of the trail when you are out hunting.
I never minded mine being dull either until I wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can tell you what will bring it back but it's dangerous stuff, Methylene Chloride. I used it for removing the solid white fade from PVC pipe years ago. The stuff evaporates extremely fast and will almost freeze your hands while using. We would put cloth gloves inside of Nitrile gloves when using. Should be used in a very well ventilated area...preferably outside.

The PVC pipes could be almost solid white from fade, the Methylene Chloride would make the pipes look as if they were extruded that same day.

But...it will absolutely remove the fade.

Probably better on your health just to replace the plastic or repaint!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts