Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a nice 700 recently, got a question on fuel tank pressure and fuel heating up?
While doing food plots yesterday we ran the 700 pulling a King Kutter ATV disc probably 2-3 hours straight before shutting it off for lunch.
Wanted to check the gas, but upon loosening the gas cap found a lot of heat and pressure.
So much so it actually blew the cap out of my hand and sprayed me and the quad with gas!

I believe the tank is part of a pressurized system but this seemed excessive to me, also you could feel the heat of the gas from the tank.

Fan worked fine, coolant stayed full all day and the quad performed flawlessly.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but we all know heat is the death of many a quad.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
No it isn't normal.

Check the vent tube, it comes off of the cap area and then makes some bends before it heads behind the plastics.

The only thing that should be pressurized in the tank is the fuel line from the pump.

The vent is # 1 in the diagram.

Attachments

Reactions: RedRocket

Grizzled Mod
Yes, as JimP mentioned, check the vent tube. A friend with a 19 Grizzly had that vent tube plugged with mud and the same thing happened with pressurized fuel shooting out of the tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it isn't normal.

Check the vent tube, it comes off of the cap area and then makes some bends before it heads behind the plastics.

The only thing that should be pressurized in the tank is the fuel line from the pump.

The vent is # 1 in the diagram.
Thanks for that diagram, I will check it out!!!
Come to think of it I installed an aftermarket receiver that has 2 u-clamps that go around the frame, there was that tube #1 I believe in that area. I may have pinched it.

Registered
mine did same thing, got gas in eyes and killed 5 feet strip of lawn.
i checked vent tube and re ran it to make sure no kinks. did not happen again

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the problem was serious back on earlier models and there was a recall.
It was the roll over valve, and Yamaha updated it around 2010.
They now call it the "Pipe Joint Assembly", basically right underneath the seat towards the rear.
The assembly has a ball bearing in it, acts like a check valve I guess.
I spent $30 on a new one, should have it in a few days, we'll see if it works.

I have read where guys are just replacing it completely with an in-line fuel filter and the problem is solved.
I would be a little nervous about that approach, and whether or not the tank would stay pressurized correctly.

Anyone else?

Super Moderator
The fuel tank is not pressurized, the fuel pump in the tank provides the pressure to the fuel line to the injectors.

I doubt that you will be able to find a inline fuel filter that will hold the pressure that the fuel pump provides.

Super Moderator
Not to mention that a fuel filter inline wouldn't prevent fuel from pouring out in a rollover situation like the check valve assembly does. So it's definitely not solving the problem, it's solving one while creating another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Hello, just got a 2021 700 grizzly and I am having issues with venting the fuel tank. The unit is about 1 month old and the fuel tank is pressuring up on hot days. Found there is a excess amount of vent line and a kink (from new) and pressure is building. I took the pressure off by fixing the kink and now the unit won鈥檛 run, just stalls. Any idea if it just needs some time for the fuel pump to make up the reduced suction pressure on the fuel pump?

Premium Member
This is a safety issue,take it back to the dealer if you can't find something wrong. Let them worry about it. Can you imagine getting covered in gas. It blows let me tell ya. I had it happen on a tractor I HAD..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts