Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like ethanol, I don't recommend it, and most recommend against it. I was buying the expensive 91 octane non ethanol gasoline, but ran out and put in the 87 octane 10 percent ethanol. I was a bit surprised but found my 18 Kodiak ran well and started well on the 10 percent ethanol gas.

My question for you is, should I go back to the gas that cost 75 cents more per gallon or keep running on this 87 octane fuel

·
Registered
693 Posts
First off your engine simply isn't high performance enough to require 91 octane nor warent the extra cost. Second as much as ethanol isn't good, as long as you regularly use your Atv and don't let it sit around for many months you ll be fine.

That said, if you rarely used your Atv or were storing it for many months, I would certainly recommend filling it with 91 octane and / or some fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked in my Owners Manual and see they allow 10% ethanol, but not methanol, I did not know there was a difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine has had nothing but non ethanol from day one. That’s what my dealer had in it when I picked it up, was also recommended by them. Just my preference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Premium doesn't necessarily mean non ethanol. You can have 91 octane and have ethanol in it. I believe it has to state that it is NON ethanol gas to NOT have ethanol in it. That being said, I try to run non ethanol gas in all of my small engines for the example that Primethious showed. For the extra dollar a gallon it costs, to me it is worth it. It isn't like you are using your rig as a daily driver where gas costs would eat you alive. A tank here or there if you can't find it won't hurt it if you burn through it quick enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've run gas with ethanol in most of my small engines for years without any issues -- chainsaw, snowmobile, ATV, lawn mower, weed beater, etc.

That said . . . as mentioned . . . if I don't plan to use the machine for a while I put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. I also would be leary of running ethanol in older equipment as there are some reported issues with older engines.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am also in the Non-Ethanol camp.

I use it in everything except my truck and jeep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I always find it amazing to read about the differences between countries. In Europe, we only have the choice between 95 or 98.
Both run just fine.
I wonder if the engines are tuned differently between US and EU models.
However, it would make sense because of the tight environmental regulations.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am on my second tank of 10 percent ethanol now, and one thing I expected it to have backfiring when I backed off the throttle at a higher RPM. That has not happened, and my first 700 Kodiak did it and it never got better. It was a 2016. This leads me to think that the factory has improved the engine/fuel system over the first 700s that were made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In Sweden we have had Ethanol mixture in the GAsoline for decades. Recently it is increased from 5 to 10%. I have not noted any difference or problem with that really!

But I think U have to be more careful if U store en ATV or car or boat motor for a longer period. In my opinion it is much more important to drain out as much as possible of the fuel from the engine etc.
It seems like when the Ethanol mixture evaporates over time, it can form of white powder that can clog the Injectors, nozzles and filters. This is particularly important for Fuel Injected engines.
There is also something called "fuel stabilizer" that can prevent these problems, or at least improve the situation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ive always heard that your vehicle is designed with ethanol in mind. so It shouldn't be a problem in your regular vehicle. the ethanol is only there to help with moisture.

just don't park your small machines for time with ethanol in the tank.

Ive burned a couple tanks of ethanol gas in the atv, when we were too far out, and the only option was to go to the nearest gas station. it ran fine, I just made sure to burn it all and get 100 percent back in quickly.

Reactions: Tirill

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've run gas with ethanol in most of my small engines for years without any issues -- chainsaw, snowmobile, ATV, lawn mower, weed beater, etc.

That said . . . as mentioned . . . if I don't plan to use the machine for a while I put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. I also would be leary of running ethanol in older equipment as there are some reported issues with older engines.
Same here, have been doing this for many years, never a problem. If the vehicle (motorcycle, mower, string trimmer, etc) isn't going to operate for a fair period of time I make sure to put Stabil in the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
A friend that works on small engines won't put the red Stabil in any of his engines. He has had way too many problems with it.

He recommends Stabil Marine that is blue. Royal Purple also puts out a very good stabilizer.

I personally had problems with the red Stabil once in a gas generator that I had to clean and rebuild the carburetor on after using the Stabil on it for winter storage.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I always find it amazing to read about the differences between countries. In Europe, we only have the choice between 95 or 98.
Both run just fine.
I wonder if the engines are tuned differently between US and EU models.
However, it would make sense because of the tight environmental regulations.
European octane rating is different than North America . Euro 95 and 98 is equal to NA 91 and 93, still a higher octane fuel, just rated with a different system

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lots of good comments here, and I think we are OK using up to 10 percent ethanol, but you will never find any manufacturer that says it is a good thing. As the stabilizer issue, some are likely better than others, but they are important if you are using ethanol, and maybe any stored fuel. I think I have said this before, but I have a small engine shop close to me, and the boss says ethanol keeps him in business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts