Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Nothing needed to go greaseless, clean everything really well, and reassemble. As for now increase. It's only slightly noticable at very low rpm, once you are moving, the reving of the engine and the tires contacting the ground mask any extra noise you might hear.
I'm running 18gr oem grizzly weights, purple spring, machined sheave with a 0.5mm shim. I love it, even before, it was nice with just purple spring and 1.5mm shims. I love the engine brake ammout i get from the purple spring, it's perfect for trail rides, barely used brakes except for emergency stops or coming to a complete stop.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
thank you- I have a 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS YFM70KPXG I need to verify that 3B4-17632-01-00 is this 20 gram roller that will fit in my bear- any help? thanks, $ 73 EBAY for an 8 pack OEM Yamaha rollers-Brian

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
@brianpiersol

Remember if you go greaseless you still need to grease the inside of the primary movable sheave (between the two seals) , as it needs to slide freely on the steel collar

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all your help, I am going with the 20 gram weights, 1.5mm shim to start with. That should make a noticeable difference from OEM (30G) weights. No spring change yet... Am I correct that the reason Yamaha builds different gram weights for the 700's is based on what the weight and application of the engine it's going into? The cam is the same part # for all those engines. It's the weight part # that changes. Did anyone ever make a list of the Yamaha gram weights matching to part #'s? If you guys did not tell me that 3B4-17632-01-00 is a 20 gram weight, I wouldn't have known. I really appreciate the fast repilies and the knowledge of all you Kodiak Owners forum members. It's very nice of you all. Thanks so much! Today is the yummy cold turkey sandwich day!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more Q sorry.... Did anyone ever mix every other one weight on install? say only change 4 weights to lighter to make a 25 gram average of 200 total. I don't plan doing that but I read somewhere that would work and is OK to do. Your thoughts please...

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
429 Posts
I would not recommend mixing the weights, or alternating them. You will induce uneven wear. The mixed weights are usually very close in weight, like 18 & 20.
The 20’s make a good difference, but you aren’t going to be like “OMG, it revs SO high” - no, it’s very smooth and linear. It won’t lug as much. It still has the low-end torque feel the Kodiak is known for.
Going to 18’s is slightly more aggressive. It creates an instant throttle response. And somehow used less fuel, since the engine isn’t lugging at all.
Keep in mind that 18’s are the standard on a Grizzly, and people use a Grizzly to do all the same things you are doing, with full warranty. And there seem to be a lot more Grizzlys around. If I was doing it over, I would skip 20’s and do 18’s with no spring. But I’m also on a slightly larger and heavier tire.
My stock Grizzly has better throttle response, the same power, and gets about 2mpg better than the Kodiak with 20’s and purple spring. In a drag race they are dead even. You will be very happy with either, 20’s or18’s. Not going to miss that engine lugging on every incline.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Has anyone heard of quality issues with EPI weights? I would like to get the 22 gram weights,with the covers it should be around 25grams total. For me I like the low rpms. Does anyone know what color spring is in the stock 700 compared to EPI.When I put the bigger tires on I lost some engine breaking.Is there a spring between stock and purple?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank's JD864! I will switch to the 20 g weights, 1.5mm shim. As all have said, That will produce very noticable difference from OEM 30 gram roller weights. I have switched to the Pitbull Growlwers 25" and I believe they are heavier than the stock stires too. Again, thanks for the the advise and quick replies. Nice to shere your knowledge with others. Very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
There is no adverse effects to mixing weights, no extra wear, it's just a way to manipulate the rpm curve a bit more. The thing is 8x25gm weights vs 4x30+4x20 don't respond the same, they are equal only at rest and when rolled to the end of the channel. The torque and rpm curve will differ slightly if you saw it on a graph as the mass would be slightly different as they roll out as you rev.

I personally am still a fan of all one size weights, personally, i prefer the 18gm grizzly weights, as mentioned, they seem to be helping mpg must a bit more than the 20s in my buddy's kodiak, and i get very similar to his brother's grizzly. I can pull away from both of thier bikes and i have close to 125lb extra rum storage on my body than either of them. I'm running heavier tires than both of them, but i do also have a machined sheave.

As for an in between spring, sometime will correct me if I'm writing, but epi orange i believe is just a tad more than stock but less than purple. So close that it's not really worth it. Purple is the best choice untill you start rolling bigger heavy rubber.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts