Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of 18 gram epi weights for my 2019 Kodiak 700. Does anyone know if they should have the plastic covers on them like the stock weights? Also if I use them without covers can I damage my clutch ?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It WILL cause damage to your clutch parts without covers. You absolutely need the plastic covers!!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yah you need them like Vincent said. That's why I bought the 18g grizzly weights from Yamaha, they come allready installed and EPI wants another $50 just for the plastic covers :mad:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yah you need them like Vincent said. That's why I bought the 18g grizzly weights from Yamaha, they come allready installed and EPI wants another $50 just for the plastic covers :mad:
Agreed, I only buy Yamaha weights as they are bullet proof tough, resonably priced, and automatically come with covers.

Epi weights are a bit of a rip off.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Don't forget that the covers from epi add to the roller weights. So 18gm roller plus cover is not equal to an OEM 18gm roller.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
390 Posts
Are the plastic covers on yhe weights what they call greaseless? Thats pretty cool if so

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
But fyi, the OEM weights can be run greaselesss, or greased.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im a couple days late on this but if I'm correct you do not need to buy the covers for the EPI rollers, you should be able to reuse the factory covers (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Providing they are in good shape still. If they've got a couple thousand miles I would change them just as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Im a couple days late on this but if I'm correct you do not need to buy the covers for the EPI rollers, you should be able to reuse the factory covers (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Providing they are in good shape still. If they've got a couple thousand miles I would change them just as preventative maintenance.
I read that somewhere before also but when looking at my oem weights it looked liked they be ruined if I tried to pry them off, they are on there pretty tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a couple YouTube videos of people changing them, they look pretty easy but they do appear to be one sided. Meaning you can only put the roller in from one side not the other. Same as before, I could be wrong so feel free to correct me. I have only done research and have not yet replaced mine. I was all set to do the CVT work but ran into some money shortage due to all this COVID crap.

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
Member reogem on GrizzlyCentral has mentioned that at some point, maybe 2010 or 2012, the OEM CVT weights started having the covers fused to the weights, thus not able to remove them. Very good chance your Kodiak 700 OEM weights have fused covers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Member reogem on GrizzlyCentral has mentioned that at some point, maybe 2010 or 2012, the OEM CVT weights started having the covers fused to the weights, thus not able to remove them. Very good chance your Kodiak 700 OEM weights have fused covers.
That's good to know. I'll look into it more before I order weights. I would go OEM but I really want 22-24gram weights and can't seem to find them from yamaha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts