Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a clutch kit for my Kodiak. Can't decide between the sport utility or mudder, I go through some pretty thick mud and it does fine right now with just a shim and upgraded belt. I use my wheeler for mostly riding around and mudding, I have two other wheelers for work, Kodiak is just for play. I need more low end power to get through the mud easier but don't want to lose a lot of top end speed at the same time, but if I get more punch at the low end I will be happy. I run 28" outlaw skinnies. Any inputs from you guys who have either/or would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't believe no one has piped in on this thread I would have figured someone would have tried one or the other clutch kit. If I was going to do either I would probably go with the mudder kit as I never even get close to the top speed of my quad so losing a few MPH on the top for more low end power would be more beneficial to me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't believe no one has piped in on this thread I would have figured someone would have tried one or the other clutch kit. If I was going to do either I would probably go with the mudder kit as I never even get close to the top speed of my quad so losing a few MPH on the top for more low end power would be more beneficial to me.
I can't believe the lack of activity in general. I realize it's a bit of a "niche" forum being specically about the new kodiaks but, there are a decent number of members. Yet, very little activity.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thinking about getting a clutch kit for my Kodiak. Can't decide between the sport utility or mudder, I go through some pretty thick mud and it does fine right now with just a shim and upgraded belt. I use my wheeler for mostly riding around and mudding, I have two other wheelers for work, Kodiak is just for play. I need more low end power to get through the mud easier but don't want to lose a lot of top end speed at the same time, but if I get more punch at the low end I will be happy. I run 28" outlaw skinnies. Any inputs from you guys who have either/or would be greatly appreciated.
A "kit" will give you a combination of weights , secondary spring and stall springs, maybe some shims thrown in there. Some have a machined sheave.

All of those parts are available as individual purchases. My understanding is that the stall springs do only bad to your wet clutch and you shouldn't install them. The shim you already installed and don't need it anymore or you can change the amount of it. Secondary spring- you need it if your belt is slipping. What is the upgraded belt you installed, first time I hear about it?
And if that is not enough you can get a machined sheave from JBS , Coop45 Hunterworks - you choice.
If you are concerned with loosing the top end after shim consider the Dr. Pulley OD weights, you will get the top end back after the shim mod. I have those and I gained about 10MPH compared with stock round weights.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't believe the lack of activity in general. I realize it's a bit of a "niche" forum being specically about the new kodiaks but, there are a decent number of members. Yet, very little activity.
^^^ I agree! ^^^
Most people log in here only to find solutions or ask questions when they have problems with their Kodiaks. Maybe not a lot of activity is because there are no problems/issues? That's a good thing, right?:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
I have found the above to be true on just about any vehicle forum. You have the first time posters that are looking for a fix to a problem and then hang around, then there are those that ask their question and find a solution and leave.

I like the banter between members not to mention making friends on forums. Who knows? I might end up in someones backyard some time and might need some help or a tour. You just never know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree jim p i think it would be a lot of fun to go on a kodiak tour with a bunch on the forum,problem is we all live so far apart. I would have to truck my quad for a couple days to tour with most of you

·
Registered
21 Posts
I want to find out what you decided to do? I want to be able to get out of the hole quicker, but as we all know the Kodiak is not clutched for that.I did a pipe and optimizer, but that didnt do what I wanted..

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, I ordered the EPI "mudder" kit yesterday. I'll give some feedback when I install it. I was wondering however if anyone who has done clutch mods has also kept the stock belt? My reasoning for NOT ordering a beefy belt is if I have issues turning bigger/more aggressive tires id rather burn up a belt than snap an axle lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts