Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2016 kodiak starts then dies on first start. I have tried giving it some throttle but it still dies. So far it always starts on the second try, any ideas? Its getting annoying.

Super Moderator
I had to do some work on mine today so I fired it up and it didn't stall. But then today the temperature was above 40 degrees F. All the other times that I have started it and it died it has been below 20.

So it might be temperature related.

Registered
It might be the gas in the tank, put some fuel additive in and see if that brings it to life.

Registered
Mine does the same thing, starts, stalls, starts fine the second time. Not a big deal to me, but I guess it shouldn't do that.

Registered
Theres other post on here about the same problem. I think its a TPS problem. Mine has been doing it to but i went out tonight and its -25 here to plow snow and i hit the button first time and it started and did not stall so i dont know what to think now but normally it has been stalling

Registered
2016 kodiak starts then dies on first start. I have tried giving it some throttle but it still dies. So far it always starts on the second try, any ideas? Its getting annoying.
Try and after you turn the key "ON" let the fuel pump run for a few seconds longer before you push the start button, see if that helps.

Registered
It could be a defective decompression spring which Yamaha has a Technical Bulletin out. Google "pohlhammer decompression spring"
he alerted the people on the grizz forum and applies to Kodiaks.

Registered
I took mine to the cottage this weekend to try out the new Zillas (they're awesome) and this morning, for the first time, it would not start. Cranked and cranked, and smelled flooded. I put booster cables on it just to speed up the cranking and it finally started. It worked flawlessly last night, though, and today, once it started, it worked great the rest of the day. Might have been because the temp dropped to -27C last night.

Registered
Shouldn't happen at all after breakin. Check your plug, check air filter for excessive air filter oil, and check for recall. Fuel pump should prime fully right away so that shouldn't be an issue but who knows these days, mechanical gremlins everywhere lol. Good luck

Registered
If theres a recall shouldnt yamaha be sending out a notice in the mail to everyone that affected by this? Just my thoughts if it were a car we would get one.

Super Moderator
I doubt that there will be a recall. Perhaps a TSB if Yamaha does them

Then when the customer brings their machine into a certified shop and complains about it they'll fix it.

But not until they get enough complaints of it.

Registered
I feel for you. I installed a new fairing yesterday, once completed pushed the ATV out of the shed to go on a run and now the Kodiak won't start.

She will crank but won't start. After the temperature swing we had lately, I suspect it could be condensation in the fuel system. Added some gas line antifreeze, waiting for the effect. Also checked the battery voltage and found it at 12.5V, a tad low for a new battery, it should be closer to or above 13V. Either the battery was never charged correctly by the dealer or the few attempts to starting dropped it to 12.5V, It's on the charger now for the next 24 hours. Will try again tomorrow.

:frown2:

Couldn't wait 24 hrs, but I did let the gas line antifreeze settle overnight. Charged my battery for about 6 hour, holding 13 Volts.
1st and 2nd try sounded better, no engine light this time, but did not start. Waited another hour and started 1st shot.
Today is about 10* Celsius warmer than yesterday, hopefully my issue was condensation in my line, if not to my problem will come back next time it gets -20 Celsius. Time will tell.

Registered
I'm betting you guys have issues with the throttle position sensor(tps). Some have experienced problems with the original tps on the 16's.

Registered
Wouldn't start again today at -17* Celsius/ 1.4 * Fahrenheit. Will try running 0W30 see if it makes a difference.

Registered
I had posted awhile back what works for me after seeing the same starting problem for many people. After you hold the throttle in for 10 seconds while you turn the key, keep it in slightly still while you push your button. You may have to hold the button in just a little longer than just a quick push. Mine starts every time this way, even on cold Nebraska days. I called Yamaha about the compression spring thing, even though I received nothing in the mail about it. My number was one letter off from the list of affected machines, but I wanted to be sure. It took three different people until I got with someone who could look it up for me. They seemed to not know what I was talking about ,but assured me looking through their lists of various recalls, they weren't seeing that issue. They were all very nice and helpful, but i'm still not convinced they knew for sure what the compression spring recall was about.

Super Moderator
One problem with recalls is that you need to take your machine or vehicle into the dealer and see if they can correct it. Then if it keeps happening and with the dealers documentation on a number of vehicles then they might do a recall, but I doubt it. Usually if it isn't a drive ability issue they will come out with a TSB or technical service bulletin telling the dealer what they need to do to fix the situation with no charge to the customer.

Quite often us owners just learn how to deal with it on our own since we don't want to accumulate a lot of trips to a dealer with their service charges to get our problem into the system.

Super Moderator
Wouldn't start again today at -17* Celsius/ 1.4 * Fahrenheit. Will try running 0W30 see if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference and I looked in the manual and it doesn't say anything about it but on my older carberated 89 Big Bear, and 2000 Kodiak to not touch the throttle while starting. I also know that on the modern fuel injected and even the throttle body injection that we have on the new Kodiak's they say not to use the throttle either. So you might give that a try if you haven't tried it yet. I know on my older ATV's that if you tried to give it some gas that it would not start right up.

Registered
I'm not sure if it will make a difference and I looked in the manual and it doesn't say anything about it but on my older carberated 89 Big Bear, and 2000 Kodiak to not touch the throttle while starting. I also know that on the modern fuel injected and even the throttle body injection that we have on the new Kodiak's they say not to use the throttle either. So you might give that a try if you haven't tried it yet. I know on my older ATV's that if you tried to give it some gas that it would not start right up.
I agree, I never touch the throttle when starting a fuel injected truck or ATV. It's a habit I developed when I got my first Fuel injected vehicle.

On another note, the dealer did tell me that the Kodiak comes with 20W-40 from factory, a grade meant for above +10*C/50*F. My next move will be switching to either 0W-30 or 5W-30. If that don't help, back to the dealer. :|

Registered
Mine dies the first time on cold starts also. I did take it in on the compression spring. Told them of my problem of back firing and having to restart it when cold. They solved the problem on the restart, but not it does it again now after 20 hours. I have not had the back fire issue come back. I had ten hours on it when it when to the dealer for the recall. They charged me $115 for repair and said it was bad fuel. The fuel was still from the dealer when it was new. I don't think they are honest on what they did on mine, but I don't know. I just thought I would add my experience so all of you can know some of what others are experiencing.

Registered
The Kodiak is my first ATV, and not sure if I should take back to Stealership or not. I have 14.5 hours and 106 miles on her but since day one no matter what the temperature is she starts fires a couple time then dies then always fires up the second push of the start button and runs fine. I wanted to get at least a couple hundred miles before I got concerned just to break the motor in but with only a 6 month warranty(really Yamaha!!!) and reading about the issues above, should I just get it in to have it checked out?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts