Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
Mine was a used on but I had no idea of how many miles or hours were on it. The nubbings on the tires were still on it so there were not very many of either.

I kept the speed down and varied it from around 4 mph up to 8 mph and then short burst up and over 30 mph. I tried not to run at just one speed for too long, either a low speed or top end.

Registered
Always break in a new motor.

Always do a thorough warm up before riding.

Follow the manual, and make sure to change out all the oils diff's and all.

Break in oil get very dirty quickly.
My rear diff oil was filthy at 100 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for the info... I'll follow the manual for the break in period then.. As of right now she only has 3 hours run time and those have been pretty slow riding. Of course varying the speed but nothing hard.. Once the 20 hours are up I'll do the fluid changes as suggested...

Premium Member
I鈥檓 more of a break it in like I intend to use it guy, However I do give some consideration to a new engine.. I like to keep the rpms variable, but I鈥檓 not in the 5MPH club. I鈥檝e learned my own methods over the years that aired a bit of a hybrid I suppose...

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
If it鈥檚 really new, you can feel the lack of power. Take it real easy until that first break-in happens. Mine was about 20-30 min into running it. The rings needed that initial seat. After that, I rode it fairly normal, but avoided full throttle for the first 20 hours. Mine is totally tight and right too. No oil use or anything. I did the full 20-hr service... valves, oil, filter, both diffs, and alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts