Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good advice JimP, even today my one year old machine turned over slow, and took three attemps to fire. The low was about 6 degrees f. So I need to make a decision now!

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
A trick that we used for our truck when I worked in the oil fields way back in the 70's was to take a portable heat lamp and place it under the vehicle pointed up at the oil pan. Doing this radiated heat upwards and while it wasn't as good as a block heater it did provide enough heat that starting was a lot easier.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey that is an interesting idea, very simple for a person who does not need to start often when it is real cold. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
Good idea, just be careful with the plastic skid plate... Last thing you need is that melting and dripping on the heat source... Because I pretty sure that will lead to really heating the bike up fast

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
I still think that you would be better off with a coolant heater. Yamaha makes one for their snow machines that will fit into the coolant hose as one of the previous posters posted.

The part number is. SMA-HEATR-CL-NT

·
Registered
442 Posts
And this unit will fit the 2018 708 Kodiak? I think I need to do this, my machine starts hard even on 20 degree mornings. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
There was a person over on Grizzly Central that did it.

I think that I would stop in at a dealer and talk to them about it first. Or even call one of the parts houses that have it in stock and see if you can get the specs on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stopped at my dealer and asked about heaters. The in line hose heaters are what they install and they claim they work well. $59 at the dealer.
Who is your Dealer and his phone number ? I would like to install one on my new 2019 kodiak 700 se , but can't find any information on how to do it correctly ? !

Thanks Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who is your Dealer and Phone Number ? Iwant to install @ inline block heater in my new 700 Kodiak but can't find any info on how to do it correctly ?

Thanks Craig

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
These heaters are just a inline type of heater. You cut a length of hose out of the radiator hose that is laying down low along the frame and then install the heater. The heater should have arrows on it showing which way that the coolant will flow. Then route the cord to a location where you can access it or mount a box on the fender somewhere where you can plug a extension cord into it.

If you are in a cold area or have a Yamaha dealer that also sells their snowmobiles they should be able to take care of you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Craig the dealer is Robertson motor sports. Swift Current Sask ph 306 773 4144. The heater is installed in the lower rad hose at a point where there is a rise in the hose towards the block so that the heated coolant flows in that direction rather than towards the rad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Laval

Is it placed closer to the engine block if U compare to the pics I have posted of how I did install mine??
Is it the same hose??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Attached photos show the heater install on a 450. This was a dealer install. The fellow that owns the bike uses it daily all winter. He says if the bike is plugged in for a couple hours it starts easily regardless of temperature and we get cold here quite often ( -40C) although -20 is more the norm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Craig the dealer is Robertson motor sports. Swift Current Sask ph 306 773 4144. The heater is installed in the lower rad hose at a point where there is a rise in the hose towards the block so that the heated coolant flows in that direction rather than towards the rad.
Laval

Thank You ! "Greatly Appreciated", I shall give them @ call tomorrow .

Craig Robinson :smile2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
For anyone wondering about coolant heaters I installed one on my Kodiak yesterday. Temp thos morning -12 C. Bike in unheated garage. Temp of coolant and block -9C. Bike plugged in at 8:00 am. At 9.00 am the hose between the heater and block showed 50C. Hose between heater and rad still at -9C so the heated coolant is going to the block. By 9.30 the block was showing up to +10 C. Started the bike and the temp gauge showed 56 F, rising to 74 within seconds. Have to call this a success.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Cool info and helpful. How long did it take you to do this? I know you have shared info on your part and where you bought it, but can you give us a part number? The measurement of the part where the hose slides on, and even the part of the hose you may have taken out length and the ID of that hose. Thanks for the update!

Was it warm enough to start and not kill on first start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Laval
That's awesome !
I still haven't installed mine but I have the heater, it's for Snowmobiles from Yamaha (SMA-HEATER-CL-NT). Did you use the same Heater I have ? The one I got is 1 in. on both sides, did you have any trouble coaxing it on ? Some pictures would be very helpful along with any other advise or pointers you can share !
I only have 3 post's so can't send any private messages yet,have to have 15 posts first. Hopefully this will be helpful to many others anyway !

Craig

·
Registered
71 Posts
Craig has already supplied the Yamaha part number SMA-HEATR-CL-NT but this is just a Temro in line heater with one inch inlet and outlet. Available on Amazon for about $40. Installation took me about two hours which included removal and re-istall of front racks to access rad cap to top up coolant. I just clamped off my hoses rather than doing a full drain. Lost about a cup and a half. Geting the hoses on the outlets is a bit of a chore. Put the rad side on first then the block side. Install as close to the block as possible. Don’t cut out the one inch of hose that the instructions tell you to. That little extra length allows you to anchor the rad side close to the frame ensuring a rise toward the block. I did a write up in What did you do to your Kodiak today which includes a couple pictures. You will notice a piece of metal on the hose between the heater and the rad. Its just a short piece of half pipe to protect the hose from rubbing on the bolt you see in the picture.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are the inline heaters considered waterproof?Afterall, they are bound to get submerged a lot.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts