Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 700 Base Model is sometimes quiet when I flip the lever and engage 4x4,sometimes just a click, but most of the time it's a solid thump when it snaps in. Normal??

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Any noise that I have heard when engaging 4x4 on my base model has come from the lever itself and not on the front end diff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep! Complete stop/brake is in. Sometimes when I flip the lever the indicator light comes right on without having to roll at all,and is quiet. Majority of the time it takes very little throttle and what seems to be a very aggressive engagement. Has always done it, but doesn't seem like it should.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You shouldn't be hearing any thump when engaging the 4wd. Sometimes you might hear a slight thump when coming out of 4wd once the spring tension pops the diff from 4wd to 2wd but nothing really noticeable.
Dropped it off at the dealer last Wed. They said they've never heard that before and would have to get with Yamaha. Warranty ran out last month. They're closed Sat-Mon so hopefully they'll give me a heads up today.It would be nice if Yamaha worked with them on any repairs. The thing has hardly been ridin. Like show room! Anyways I doubt that will be the case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I was at the dealer today and between them and Yamaha they couldn't determine why or where the sound was originating . I've been out of warranty for a month now, but Yamaha said it shouldn't be doing it. So Yamaha said they're replacing the front diff. and 4WD assembly free of charge. THANK YOU YAMAHA!!! 😁👍

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Don't you just hate it when you are all prepared to get hosed over by the dealer and manufacture knowing that you are a month out of waranty and you even bring a tube of lube to the dealer only to have them step up and do the right thing and take care of you.

Let us know the results when you get your Kodiak back and take it out for a ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I mentioned Yamaha had my dealer replace my front diff. and actuator. And I mentioned that the noise I'm hearing when engaging 4WD is still there. The machine is about 8 months old. Could occasionally hear it engage, and there were no concerns. Then at one point the sound was very noticeable(kind of loud). I also mentioned in another thread I installed a full set of ricochet skid plates just recently. I am now convinced they have just amplified that mild click into a solid thump sound. Which is fine. Skids are known to amplify engine noise and other sounds, but it took me this long to put two and two together🤔

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
On the front diff there is just a gear that slides back and forth to engage the 4x4. If you still have the cable actuator there is a heavy spring in the actuator itself that is quite possible part of the problem and I don't know of anything that could be done to fix it other than to go with the electric one. You can get the electric one from 501 Parts but it is costly to the point that I wouldn't do it without changing out the carrier housing to give you the diff lock with the electric servo.

Later today if I get time I'll take a couple of pictures of my old cable actuator where you can see the spring in it and understand where the noise could be caused by it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the front diff there is just a gear that slides back and forth to engage the 4x4. If you still have the cable actuator there is a heavy spring in the actuator itself that is quite possible part of the problem and I don't know of anything that could be done to fix it other than to go with the electric one. You can get the electric one from 501 Parts but it is costly to the point that I wouldn't do it without changing out the carrier housing to give you the diff lock with the electric servo.

Later today if I get time I'll take a couple of pictures of my old cable actuator where you can see the spring in it and understand where the noise could be caused by it.
That would be great. Still plan on switching over eventually like you did. I know the indicator light isn't really a big deal, but would like to see if they upgrade it a step further.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Here is the picture of the diff side of the cable actuator. You can see the spring inside and the gear that slides the diff gear into the carrier. It is heavy enough and has enough tension on it that you can not just grab the gear on it and turn it. Hopefully you can see where when you move the lever on the handle bar that when it pops or slides into the 4x4 position
where it could make a thunking type of noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I have been looking at my old actuator and still think that there is no problem with yours. Between the spring on the outside around the cable and the spring on the inside there is a lot of tension on things.

What you could do is to remove the left front tire and either work the 4x4 lever yourself or have someone else to it while you watch what is happening on the outside of the actuator and perhaps place your hand on the actuator itself and see if you can feel the thunk that you are hearing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts