Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been down this road?

So I have a jumper pack that I keep with me always, and it will jump the Kodiak about 30 times.. so that's good.

What happens if my starter dies? the jump pack and the strong battery are useless!!

Anyone got any good thoughts on adding a pull start to the Kodiak?

Is there a way to roll the Kodiak down a small hill and jump it in gear, or anything similar...

My friend keeps bringing this up, and I am curious what others are doing

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
Tow strap.

I used the pull start on my old 400 a few times and I would hate to see how hard it would be to use one on the 700.

On rolling it down a hill, take it out to a good grade and park at the top and shut the engine off and go for it and see what happens

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im about to be experimenting with this idea.

I know you shouldn't ride alone. but I do. and a tow strap wont help that lol

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
Most of my riding is by myself also and I just don't worry about it.

If the battery dies you have other problems than just the battery.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.

·
Registered
593 Posts
sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.
If your starter fails, your alone and your stranded, Start walking !!!! Why would you stay put because your machine is new?

Reactions: JimP

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
There are a lot of other things that can fail on our machines where you are just going to have to leave it where it is and get out to get help to get it out.

You would have to drag a trailer with parts to cover all the situations that you might encounter.

I also have no cell coverage where I ride and it might be a long walk out but I'd start walking and worry about me and not the machine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?
I've heard it's the primary reason why we don't have an old school pull start. But apparently if your starter fails, and your battery still has power, another machine CAN pull start you. Never did but I should try it one day....

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had a 2006 yamaha 350 Bruin with a pull start and the one time I had to use it when the battery died it wore out 3 big guys that all struggled to pull it over fast enough to get it to fire. So in order to pull over a 700 would be impossible without a compression release. I also had a 1999 polaris 500 that was easy to pull start because it had a compression release.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A kick start would probably suffice. Worked on some pretty big motorcycles. That being said the best thing you can carry is enough emergency equipment that you can walk out if necessary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You could pull a wheel off and bury it under some brush while you walk out for help.... pretty sure nobody will push a three legged bike out of the woods and I'm real sure it won't roll out on it's own.
On a serious note... It you have a jumper box with built in air compressor or a hand pump, something to plug a hole, extra fuel and a handful of fuses, you are pretty much covered.
Just sayin'...

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
It is a fact that with the newer machines having a ECU that they require a minimum amount of voltage to even think of firing up. I know on a lot of diesel trucks that voltage has to be above 10 volts or so. Anything below that and forget it. I'm not sure what our ECM's require but they were designed to work on 12 volts and if you go much lower you may be in trouble..

·
Registered
451 Posts
I tried to roll start my 708 going down a steep hill, and the ground was damp and even in 4x4 mode I could not get enough traction to turn over the engine and start it. I don't think the injection would stop it from starting if you can get the engine turning over. There is an answer to the question though.

Carry a spare starter and some tools!

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
JimP, I did not know that the injectors required power to fire, thanks for the info!

I haven't tore into our injectors but I believe that they are a throttle body type of injector. In other words it looks like a carburetor without the upper part.

The main thing that needs voltage is the ECM that controls everything. It has a minimum voltage requirement and without that it will not turn on. I am not sure what the voltage requirements are for the throttle body injection. I might have to dig into the repair manual and see if I can find something.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im glad everyone has put in. Its been on my mind for a year and a half. I could understand the idea that its just tooo much to pull start it.

Possibly keep a good drill with you...and take the cover off the cvt and crank that 22mm over? Hmm.

Our injecters have a fuel rail, and they need that 12v to Fire constantly.

Its just food for thought.

Or carry a starter in the toolbox.

I for sure need to add some fuses aswell. Im glad that was brought up

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had a 2006 yamaha 350 Bruin with a pull start and the one time I had to use it when the battery died it wore out 3 big guys that all struggled to pull it over fast enough to get it to fire. So in order to pull over a 700 would be impossible without a compression release. I also had a 1999 polaris 500 that was easy to pull start because it had a compression release.
All our motors 558, 686, 708 etc... are equipped with decompressors...

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Vincent, is there a way to engage the decompression? My 91 Honda 4Trax 300 has a back up kick starter, and it has a decompression lever on the head that does make it much easier to kick and start.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts