Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new, from Quebec up in french Canada, anyone here "invest" in Elka shocks?
I want to upgrade cause i have tracks and i feel like after 2 seasons theyve added some wear to my shocks
Riding a 2016 700 base model, bought it for plowing, atleast thats what i tell my girlfriend!

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey there. Fellow French Canadian here, but I'm an Ontarian. Why do you feel you need new shocks already?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have no idea on the shocks, but that is sure a cool machine you have there! Does that think float on deep snow? What do tracks like that cost? How does it feel to ride and turn?

I will say this about the shocks, if you ride slow, the shocks have very little effect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have my eye on those Elka shocks too. Just have to wait until they are the priority as they ain't cheap!

Love those tracks of yours! I've seen some drive belts on videos after a season and the belts take a beating with valley cracking and whatnot. Might want to replace it every spring just as a precaution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It definitely floats in deep snow, i havent gotten stuck yet. They cost $4500 with tax , i contemplated a getting a snowmobile vs tracks and decided on tracks .. only thing i didnt realize is im not aloud on the winter atv trails around here and im not aloud on the snowmobile trails so that was a bit of a let down. I live around farm land so i go exploring around the house and take it out on the lakes for ice fishing .
It can be hard to turn, ive contemplated installing a power steering kit, but im still on the fence with that. And i do rub my fenders a bit if i go hard and get some air or when i go through steep ditches. Ive contacted camso and they suggested i try adjusting them before i do a lift kit or new shocks.
I also learnt from this forum about the cracking belt, which i will be checking when i get home from work ! But i dont regret the purchase, so much fun and i can plow for dayssss

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the info. Lots of very interesting input. Power steering is very nice. You might try to talk to local officials on the trail access, I would think you could work something out, as long as you don't tear things up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
For the cost of the Elka shocks and power steering kit, you could probably trade up.

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
For the cost of the Elka shocks and power steering kit, you could probably trade up.
true, but he would still have stock shocks, and beat them to death in a couple years. els are built for punishment and give a cloud like ride

but that new bike smell is hard to resist lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
Even with 12 000kms of rough trails and aggressive driving, my 10 year old factory shocks are holding up like champs!!!! Upgrading to Elkas are for an improved ride not durability

I too considered tracks for my machine and selling my snowmobile. Interestingly I had 4 guys who run tracks on their quads all told me not too. In their opinions tracks are excellent for winter work, trapping, ice fishing, but don't replace the real thrill of high power winter sledding...I was surprised by that answer and their honesty...Guess these guys had a good judgement on my personality and riding style...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, i agree with their opinion, i dont regret my decision to buy tracks but i use them for snow removal and pulling an ice shack. If you want speed and trails , tracks probably arent the right purchase, more of a utility buy in my mind, still fun tho but not the same as flying in a sled hanging on for your life

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had a set of Elka Stage 4 on a 2008 Grizzly back when it was new and they were fantastic.. I could skim across the top of whoops at 45 MPH, and embarrass dirt bikes jumping at the dunes... Now I am older and have a new 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS and just installed a set of Stage 1 shocks. I have a brief impression of them from a slow 26 mile ride. but I really bought them for faster fire roads and surprises at speed.. I will post a review after this weekend and further ride height adjustments

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
I will one day upgrade shocks, having the ability to adjust them a bit more tight or loose would be handy is certain situations
Agreed, being able to adjust spring tension on the front and rear is indeed and advantage. I play around with them often enough depending on the situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts