Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's thoughts on the likely future of ATV's being electric? There's certainly been an electric movement in autos, motorcycles and bicycles and I'm sure ATV's are soon to follow. Tesla showed what looked like a Banshee in their future line up. What we've seen so far isn't interesting but if they can make something as capable as the Kodiak then I'd be interested.

I can see electric being helpful for hunters or anybody trying to be quiet. One of the obstacles for OHV's is the complaints about noise so if that part of it can be eliminated then maybe we can have more leeway for creating trails and riding in the national parks.

I can see where anybody needing to ride long hours for several days in a row not being compatible with the range of an electric ATV but for a day ride it should be sufficient. Batteries are also in a revolutionary state right now and we'll probably have any range issues resolved before long.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm also interested in this, and what mite be coming out in the next few years. I "believe" there are already some being produced, but the quantity is very limited.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
They are going to have to come out with a huge advancement in battery technology for it to be useful in a ATV that might goes a few days without seeing a charger.

Right not electric cars need a battery bank almost the size of the entire undercarriage in order to run for 8 or so hours. With this in mind I believe that the whole ATV would have to be a battery in order for them to work. This not only adds size but a lot of weight also.

But then if you don't mind dragging a trailer along with a generator to charge up the battery overnight when you go camping it just might work.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
They are going to have to come out with a huge advancement in battery technology for it to be useful in a ATV that might goes a few days without seeing a charger.

Right not electric cars need a battery bank almost the size of the entire undercarriage in order to run for 8 or so hours. With this in mind I believe that the whole ATV would have to be a battery in order for them to work. This not only adds size but a lot of weight also.

But then if you don't mind dragging a trailer along with a generator to charge up the battery overnight when you go camping it just might work.

I think you are way off. Nowhere near t the sane body to battery ratio can be used for an atv vs a car. The car needs a huge battery because it's usually powering 4 huge motors to move the weight of the car avg 1 to 5 bodies, along with powering HVAC system and sound system and all the interior ace exterior lighting.
Atv will be 1/10th the weight, 2 passenger max, way smaller motors, and minimal lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Here is one that you can get from Polaris, the specs say that it has a estimate range of 45 miles, not very many if you are out on a trail ride. And that would be on a new battery and not one that was a year old and had gone through multiple charge and discharges.

https://www.utvdriver.com/2018-all-electric-utv-guide#page-2

Or one further down the page that you can drive for 100-200 miles but you pay for it at $35,000

·
Registered
528 Posts
I say no thank you for all of the same reasons I have no interest in a electric car or Hybrid.
I’m still in love with the internal combustion engine. There is nothing appealing to me about a electric vehicle of any kind. Especially the ability to refuel in 2 minutes vs hours.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind a electric one but the recharging is the kicker.

I'll go out to the wilds for a couple weeks at a time and really don't want to hear a generator running for 6-8 or more hours to recharge a battery. I even try to camp away from people that insist on their TV's, satilight dishes, and AC in their campers. I even know people that have to have their drip coffee makers going in the mourning that run off of a generator.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed that batteries need to get better but the good news is they almost definitely will. There's a lot of research right now on how to make better batteries.

I like I.C.E. too and everything that they offer. This electric stuff is new so it has my interest.

When working on the fence line on the ranch we do a lot of short drives then stopping for a fix then another short drive. An electric atv would work great in that scenario.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind a electric one but the recharging is the kicker.

I'll go out to the wilds for a couple weeks at a time and really don't want to hear a generator running for 6-8 or more hours to recharge a battery. I even try to camp away from people that insist on their TV's, satilight dishes, and AC in their campers. I even know people that have to have their drip coffee makers going in the mourning that run off of a generator.
Oh I hear ya on that one, even going to a tent only campground a few years ago, I'm up at 530, stirring the coals, getting a little fire going again to boil some water for coffee, and make some eggs and bacon. Couple lots down, guy has a little generator running, (thankfully a quiet little honda) they have a coffee pot, and an induction stove top on the picnic table, but the kicker, I could hear his wife's hair dryer, and the dude was pulling a portable ac from the tent and put it in their suv. That blew my mind

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
These will be big, and it won't take long. Quiet, and I just hope they do it right, a small solar cell to keep it charged!

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
If you are drawing a good amount of power during daylight hours like riding it you will need a trailer behind you to keep the batteries charged and they don't work once the sun goes down. So now you are stuck with dead batteries in the morning when you want to start riding again

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Of course the idea of perpetual motion. With enough small generators and gears that can...at least get close to recharging a battery.

I have spent years watching things about perpetual motion, and I know it is a know impossibility...But the future can shine new light on old topics.

I am a lover of the combustion engine too.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Back in college we had access to access to AC and DC motors and generators that we could couple together in different combinations to see if we could come up with that perpetual motion machine but friction ended up killing the projects whenever we pulled the external power source off.

We had a lot of fun playing with it for about a month

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I ride my atv part of the experience is the sound from the engine, riding a machine that sounds like a sowing machine I don’t Imagine I would get the same experience.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with you on the sound effects. If you want to sneak up on something or someone then quiet would be good. They make the electric cars running the Pikes Peak Hill Climb use a siren sound so people can hear them coming. I'm not sure if that's the case in all racing but it's a terrible sound.

They make solar generators so that would be the way to get more hours out of a long weekend.

There's still work to be done to make them practical and affordable but it's certainly interesting.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think any viable electric atv would have to be of the regenerative type to even remotely appeal to the masses.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If they can get a car to go up to 300 miles, they can make an ATV last a few days on the trail. I like the idea of sneaking into the woods, to hunt, rather than scare the game away as I arrive.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Have you seen the amount of batteries that it takes to get that car to go 300 miles not to mention how long it takes for a recharge

·
Registered
95 Posts
The electric ones are already very popular here in South Carolina. They call em golf carts. Haha!!
I love my Kodiak 700, but I also loved my electric golf kart (Yamaha too!) It stayed charged for days and days. It charged fully overnight and had old batteries. It was awesome in the fields and the quiet was the best part. There are some fine electric hunting-type UTV's on the market now. A bit expensive for me.

I cant imagine an electric quad that can plow snow day after day, but maybe there is technology that can prove me wrong....it will need to be priced like a current IC engine machine in order to get my $$$.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts