Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally broke down and ordered one of the EHS tuners from Eric today. I told him that the Kodiak, although it has tried, hasn't killed me so far...I figure it just needs more power! 馃槀

I may put the 2R tip back on after I install the tuner, seems like it was a little louder than I really wanted when I put it on a while back...may as well try it again too.

Registered
Very happy with our ehs tuners on our kodiaks. Just the heat reduction from the exhaust makes em worth it to me.

Registered
On my 2019 686 with stock intake / exhaust systems, I didn't gain anything from to tuner at all. BUT if your going to modify your exhaust, ( I have to ) I certainly recommend it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
On my 2019 686 with stock intake / exhaust systems, I didn't gain anything from to tuner at all. BUT if your going to modify your exhaust, ( I have to ) I certainly recommend it.
Seriously?! Like anything else I guess, it goes from OMG I've lost most of my hair due to the HP/torque gains...to no gains...

I will be hitting the trails with just the tuner installed to see if I can feel any change, then I'll put that 2R tip on and see if there's any there.

Thanks Vincent.

Super Moderator
Like anything else I guess, it goes from OMG I've lost most of my hair due to the HP/torque gains...to no gains...
Not sure who would have made a comment about getting nice hp/torque gains by adding a FI tuner. If that is what you were led to believe, my opinion is you were miss informed. I've had FI tuners on both of my Grizzlys, 07 and now 14, and if there are any hp or torque gains, I haven't really noticed it much. I did it for safety to make sure proper fueling was available as I don't want my bike getting into lean conditions. I believe that is one of the primary reasons for Kodiak/Grizzly owners installing FI tuners... of course aside from someone modding an intake or exhaust or other ICE mods.

Now CVT mods, that is something that is subtle but you can feel a seat of the pants low end increase.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
No, just an example of the wide swings on opinions on any product. A good example of this would be Amazon, just about any product, it goes from being the best product ever purchased to it gave me toe cancer...

A tuner just dumps in more fuel to richen fuel delivery or avoid an overly lean one...

Reactions: MarshMaster

Super Moderator
Ha, yeah. With product reviews, one just needs to throw out the very highs and lows and find the average of the reviews that may be based somewhat in reality.

As said in my previous post, I didn't really notice much, if any, increase by way of just adding the tuner. I suppose I didn't completely do my homework on the bullet box tuners as I was of the belief you could possibly subtract fuel as well. The bullet box tuners only have the ability to add fuel, not take away, but where I ride it is preferred to have the ability to add or subtract fuel. I suspect most would not find it advantageous to have the ability to add and subtract fuel. With my previous Grizzly, I had a Dynatek FI tuner where it was controlled by potentiometers, so it did allow for independent addition or subtraction of fueling in the 3 throttle positions. I just assumed the standard bullet boxes (like EHS uses) did the same, they don't. Like I said, I didn't do my homework but have come to find out, that information is not readily available as the majority interested in tuners are because of lean conditions. I was also led to believe the bullet box basic tune would be good for my elevation. Wrong. I have had to make pretty significant adjustments to lessen the fueling the bullet box is adding but am glad I have the bullet box because there are certain throttle positions where fuel should be slightly increased from OEM settings. BTW, I do have everything OEM concerning the exhaust and only recently have gone to a modified airbox lid. I do have an AFR Wideband meter installed so I can instantly confirm what my burn ratio is, under load, all throttle positions, on the trails I ride.

As I just mentioned, I recently added the EHS racing lid for the 2007-2015 Grizzly 700/550. The bad; there is increased noise just above low throttle input but I can't say it is as bad as changing out to an aftermarket slip-on exhaust. Comparison for the increase in noise is when I added a HMF Swamp exhaust with quiet core to my 07 Grizzly. At one point, I also added a knock-off 2R tip to the 07 OEM exhaust, but I removed that as the noise increase, for me, was unacceptable on all day rides. The good; it does seem to be allowing for an increase in intake air because I have seen my burn ratio increase from just above the low throttle position. When I say increase, what I am referring to is because of the increased air, now my monitored burn ratio (by way of the AFR wideband meter) is reading in the high 12's to low 13's where before I would see 11's, slightly on the rich side and not an optimal burn ratio for non-ethanol fuel. I consider the increased AFR a good behavior and one I was hoping for since I do not currently have a way to reduce fueling. Do I get a seat-of-the-pants increase? I do feel the hp has a slight increase. Is it worth the money buying the racing lid? For me I would say yes but I have a specific use case I was trying to address based on the FI tuner I already spent money on. For others, that would be a decision you would need to make.

BTW, I went ahead and purchased the complete EHS racing lid as I wanted the ability to switch back to the OEM lid in the event I ended up on a trip where I would be riding at a much lower elevation. EHS sells a kit to modify your current airbox lid or one can purchase the completed lid. As per riding at lower elevations, Moab comes to mind where it is about 3500-4000 feet on average. Last week I was riding anywhere from 7000 up to 12,000 feet which is pretty typical for where I ride. I also plow snow at 8000 feet, my house. So if I go somewhere lower in elevation, I may just put the OEM airbox lid back on while there... add fueling if needed.

Reactions: Madmax

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to replace the exhaust with a full system and get rid of the cat. Between more fuel and a free-flowing exhaust it should definitely show some performance gains, although it's no slouch the way it sits. Full exhausts are certainly pricey...but so was every other exhaust I've changed out.

Reactions: MarshMaster

Registered
Have you switched to lighter weights? if not That would make significant difference and is cheap & easy

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, changed out the stock ones for 18g a while back, big improvement!

Reactions: Vincent

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Got the controller in today, probably install it tonight. Where did you all mount the controller box??

Super Moderator
I stuck mine in the front tub area near the battery where it doesn't move around. You have a different bike layout, so probably doesn't matter where I put mine. I've seen that many 16+ installs mount it in the top storage compartment using sticky velcro tape to secure it to the lid.

Premium Member
Well, finally broke down and ordered one of the EHS tuners from Eric today. I told him that the Kodiak, although it has tried, hasn't killed me so far...I figure it just needs more power! 馃槀

I may put the 2R tip back on after I install the tuner, seems like it was a little louder than I really wanted when I put it on a while back...may as well try it again too.

I鈥檓 interested in the performance mods.. i think it needs a better exhaust

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well, installing the EHS box was about as simple as falling asleep, I went ahead and installed the 2R exhaust tip as well. Looks like a lot of rain around here this weekend, hopefully there's a decent break in it so I can get out and try it out. :)

Registered
Well, installing the EHS box was about as simple as falling asleep, I went ahead and installed the 2R exhaust tip as well. Looks like a lot of rain around here this weekend, hopefully there's a decent break in it so I can get out and try it out. :)
Send some of that rain this way would ya? -__- miserably dry around here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Send some of that rain this way would ya? -__- miserably dry around here.
Been pretty dry here as well....but not this weekend! There's no riding today or tomorrow, it has absolutely poured rain here all day... :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Well I did get to ride for a couple of hours yesterday! With the tuner, AIS blocked, and the 2R tip the Kodiak is running very smooth. I didn't notice as much heat on the left legs as usual, could have just been me, dunno. The 2R tip is pretty loud, not so much just cruising along but really noticeable when the engine braking kicks in, sounds like a coal truck jake brake!

So far very happy with the install :)

Registered
Awesome. Good to hear things worked out

Premium Member
It would be worth the change ($$$) for me just to get better breathing and sound. 鈥楾is thing has so mush back pressure as is and sounds like a mini-bike! Hahhhahahha

Registered
Well I did get to ride for a couple of hours yesterday! With the tuner, AIS blocked, and the 2R tip the Kodiak is running very smooth. I didn't notice as much heat on the left legs as usual, could have just been me, dunno. The 2R tip is pretty loud, not so much just cruising along but really noticeable when the engine braking kicks in, sounds like a coal truck jake brake!

So far very happy with the install :)
I noticed a reduction in heat on our 16 & 17 kodiaks after the tuner also, actually that鈥檚 80% of the reason I installed it to get rid of the lean running engine to help with longevity and to reduce the heat from the cat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts