21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agreed, first world problems can be challenging

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if we're "first world" anymore, but I certainly struggle to understand why a small company in Sacramento, California, can produce a tuner, more than 5-years ago, that's capable of real-time, wireless communication between the tuner, motorcycle and smartphone, with virtually ANY device, regardless of it's operating system, while another company, ten-times larger, and just a few miles east in Las Vegas, can't climb up and join them or the rest of us, in the 21st century. It's just baffling.

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
I don't even know anyone anymore (family or otherwise), who owns a Windows-based PC.
I won't defend the Dynojet products but can tell you Windows is very alive and well. I run into it in business daily and that includes many Fortune listed companies who are using Windows, Windows Server, Linux and MAC. But for server based, it is always Windows Server or Linux. Yes, this is more business based but I still do have my own personal Windows 10 PC and also MAC aside from the work Windows PC and linux I use every work day.

Then there is the gamer set who pretty much rely primarily on Windows.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I won't defend the Dynojet products but can tell you Windows is very alive and well. I run into it in business daily and that includes many Fortune listed companies who are using Windows, Windows Server, Linux and MAC. But for server based, it is always Windows Server or Linux. Yes, this is more business based but I still do have my own personal Windows 10 PC and also MAC aside from the work Windows PC and linux I use every work day.

Then there is the gamer set who pretty much rely primarily on Windows.
Thanks Rocket, and yes, I can't really debate that, or offer any valid retort to that, because I strongly suspect you're right. All-in-all, Windows probably rules the 'corporate' realm worldwide. In fact, I'm convinced of it, and to that extent, it makes sense that outfits like DynoJet would cater to the business sector, which of course, includes the marine, automotive and recreational vehicle industry and it's dealers, rather than to consumers, even though consumer sales of Mac products grossly outpace corporate Windows sales worldwide. I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that I can't use what I suspect is a superior tuner (the Power Commander V), simply because I'm not a Windows fan. It's almost like a form of cancel culture, directed at the majority, by the minority. And as far as gamers go, I'm not so sure that Windows dominates that market any longer. Aren't most gamers actually using PlayStations and X-Boxes these days?

Anyway, there's always a work-around somewhere. I guess I could go buy a used Windows machine for $200 on Craigslist. ;)

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
Ha, if you do go and buy a used Windows machine, make sure you get the Windows license key and then wipe that thing using good low level wiping software that write arbitrary data on the drive multiple times. Then load the OS. :)

Yes, you're right about lots of gamers using playstation or xbox but I understand it that there are many "true" gamers who would never be caught dead on a gaming machine, LOL. Anyway, not me but I know PC gaming is very alive and well and produces extremely significant revenue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ha, if you do go and buy a used Windows machine, make sure you get the Windows license key and then wipe that thing using good low level wiping software that write arbitrary data on the drive multiple times. Then load the OS. :)

Yes, you're right about lots of gamers using playstation or xbox but I understand it that there are many "true" gamers who would never be caught dead on a gaming machine, LOL. Anyway, not me but I know PC gaming is very alive and well and produces extremely significant revenue.
No doubt. Gaming is BIG business indeed! And as far as Windows machines, I'm even finding some brand new ones for $200. Granted, they're junk brands, but they're 4+ RAM and running Windows 10? So who knows? Might be worth it. Tune the Kodiak, then donate it to some nursery school, or take it to the gun range! Haaaa!

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Yet outfits like DynoJet want $350 for their prized, "flagship" Power Commander V model (??), which cannot connect wirelessly to ANY-thing, including Android or iOS devices, and can't even connect via hard-wired USB to anything, other than grossly outdated Windows/PC devices? Are they serious?

I'm sorry, but that's just "laughable"! Might as well be doing business in Uzbekistan! I'm sure there's one or two out there somewhere, but personally, I don't even know anyone anymore (family or otherwise), who owns a Windows-based PC.
Outdated windows pc.... Huh... Far from it. I use my windows 10 pc every day as a media center, it's newest componet is about 2 years old a this pc will out perform any pos mac garbage out there. You could have on this pc no problem, i don't really game but i built it to be capable of needed. It's a media center /server /everyday pc all in one box, connected to my samsung tv.
Most people i know, family, friends, coworkers, all have windows pc.
So windows is far from being gone or outdated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Outdated windows pc.... Huh... Far from it. I use my windows 10 pc every day as a media center, it's newest componet is about 2 years old a this pc will out perform any pos mac garbage out there. You could have on this pc no problem, i don't really game but i built it to be capable of needed. It's a media center /server /everyday pc all in one box, connected to my samsung tv.
Most people i know, family, friends, coworkers, all have windows pc.
So windows is far from being gone or outdated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Haaaa! Yeah, I didn't wanna start a barfight over PC vs. Mac, but it often pays to exercise caution when being potentially hyperbolic.

I own a 2008 liquid-cooled quad-core 3.2GHz MacPro desktop with 4 internal 2TB SATA hard drives, 24GB of RAM, two optical drives, two external hard drives, running four LCD monitors simultaneously, with firewire audio feeds from multiple pro audio multi-track mixing consoles, and I respectfully submit that it just might (maybe?), compete nicely with your PC in performance. :unsure:

Look into any professional recording studio, from Nashville to Hollywood and Burbank, and you'll find a notable absence of PCs.

And, our esteemed MacPro is now 13-years old. Yay!!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Haaaa! Yeah, I didn't wanna start a barfight over PC vs. Mac, but it often pays to exercise caution when being potentially hyperbolic.

I own a 2008 liquid-cooled quad-core 3.2GHz MacPro desktop with 4 internal 2TB SATA hard drives, 24GB of RAM, two optical drives, two external hard drives, running four LCD monitors simultaneously, with firewire audio feeds from multiple pro audio multi-track mixing consoles, and I respectfully submit that it just might (maybe?), compete nicely with your PC in performance. :unsure:

Look into any professional recording studio, from Nashville to Hollywood and Burbank, and you'll find a notable absence of PCs.

And, our esteemed MacPro is now 13-years old. Yay!!
Damn i feel inferior, I use a free tablet that Sprint gave my wife..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Damn i feel inferior, I use a free tablet that Sprint gave my wife..
Hey-hey-hey! No swearing or cursing allowed on this here forum ;), but I'm with ya, amigo! It's all relative, right? There's what do we 'need', versus what do we 'want'? Two different worlds.

I just wanna tune this derned ATV properly, dang it all! The silly thing is just MUCH too lean, and Mac or PC, I've simply gotta find a way. (y)

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I use a big iMac with Parallels virtual Windows and Linux machines. I retired as director of BioComputing at UTK and my servers were all Windows or Linux and about half of the workstations were Windows. Mac's are pretty deep in the graphic arts and general everyday computing. Macs are pretty much "set and forget" so support loves them. The hardcore computer guys on campus are pretty much all Linux, evolving from the UNIX (SUN, SGI) world and self-supporting. My research work was mostly Silicone graphics systems with Linux a close second. I had 12 Linux and 12 Windows servers when I retired. We're all Mac here at home with about a dozen iPhones, iPads, and iMacs. I consulted for several years after retiring, but try to avoid working on computers these days. I've had enough of computers and much prefer to spend my time in my garage with my machines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Kokopelli!

Yeah, absolutely. Linux is huge. Seems like it has been now, since about 1998-2000. I partitioned one of my internal drives a few years back and loaded Linux (I forget which version?), and frankly, I just couldn't seem to bond with it, but man, the gamers sure love it!

And yeah, I agree. Computers do tend to get boring after a while.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts