Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally broke down and bought a ehs tuner for my 2017 Kodak (708cc) and was wondering if anyone has changed any of the fuel settings from the original map that comes loaded on it?

Or does the original mapping work the best and isn’t worth changing?

thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
If no exhaust mods stay with the canned tune, I ran the pre set tune on mine till I did some exhaust tip mods.My wife’s is still on the pre set, no mods on her machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If no exhaust mods stay with the canned tune, I ran the pre set tune on mine till I did some exhaust tip mods.My wife’s is still on the pre set, no mods on her machine.
I should have mentioned that I have a high flow k&n air intake, so definitely more air flow than stock but I’m not sure if it’s necessary to change the tune!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I should have mentioned that I have a high flow k&n air intake, so definitely more air flow than stock but I’m not sure if it’s necessary to change the tune!
Geez I forgot about the intake mods I did with the canned tune on mine and my wife’s with a diy ehs intake mod with UNI filter’s and all was / is good. I didn’t notice a change till I did my exhaust tip mod. Here’s some photos of my mod

·
Registered
182 Posts
Id replace the k&n with a uni. The k&n style lets a lot of dust past.

I'm relatively sure the stock filter can flow a higher cfm than what the motor can draw anyways.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tuner will come with instructions on what to change depending on the modifications to exhaust and intake. You won't regret the tuner. It is a noticeable difference in my machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the tuner last week and just had a huge snow fall, plowed driveways for about 2 hours and didn’t hear the exhaust backfire once! Feels good knowing the engine is running the way it was supposed to

·
Registered
342 Posts
Installed the tuner last week and just had a huge snow fall, plowed driveways for about 2 hours and didn’t hear the exhaust backfire once! Feels good knowing the engine is running the way it was supposed to
Yep first thing I noticed in mine and wife’s , the heat reduction is nice too

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup, I'll most definitely be putting one on my 700 EPS too, as soon as the factory warranty expires. Loads of benefits in doing so. But the unanswered question that I still have is . . . am I going to need to make intake and exhaust changes at that time too, in order to gain the full benefit of the tuner? Or does the tuner alone provide enough of a positive change?

·
Grizzled Mod
212 Posts
@Wingnut what altitude are you primarily running at? I only ask as you said you are in Montana but there is a large elevation variance there. These machines are not as lean at a decent altitude. I pretty much am riding at 8000' or higher but sometimes down towards 6000' and up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Wingnut what altitude are you primarily running at? I only ask as you said you are in Montana but there is a large elevation variance there. These machines are not as lean at a decent altitude. I pretty much am riding at 8000' or higher but sometimes down towards 6000' and up.
Thanks Rocket, and funny you should ask, but I'm only at about 3,850 feet, and ironically, with somewhat warmer temps (30+), I'm finding this Kodiak to be starting much-much better, and particularly, if I give it half throttle at initial start-up.

I hadn't noticed this before, because I was leaving the throttle untouched, per numerous postings here and elsewhere, but I'm now finding that half throttle is a serious game-changer for this particular unit. Starts right up!

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
You guys need to stop talking about the ehs fuel tuner.... My bank account has taken a beating already this year with stuff for the kodiak, the cargo trailer mods, and truck accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
You guys need to stop talking about the ehs fuel tuner.... My bank account has taken a beating already this year with stuff for the kodiak, the cargo trailer mods, and truck accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Alot of 708 owners report some low and mid range throttle response with the addition of EHS tuners.

I on the other hand did not gain anything with the tuner on my 2019 686....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Alot of 708 owners report some low and mid range throttle response with the addition of EHS tuners.

I on the other hand did not gain anything with the tuner on my 2019 686....
Vince,

I see from the footer on your member information that the tuner you installed was the EHS tuner, and I'm curious . . . I've been considering an EHS tuner for my 2021 700 EPS here in the near future, hoping that it might improve things a bit, but did you seriously experience 'NO' improvements in performance? None whatsoever?? Because if not, then that is obviously disheartening.

Also, did you do any other mods at the time of tuner installation (i.e., intake, exhaust, etc.)? Or just the tuner?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Vince,

I see from the footer on your member information that the tuner you installed was the EHS tuner, and I'm curious . . . I've been considering an EHS tuner for my 2021 700 EPS here in the near future, hoping that it might improve things a bit, but did you seriously experience 'NO' improvements in performance? None whatsoever?? Because if not, then that is obviously disheartening.

Also, did you do any other mods at the time of tuner installation (i.e., intake, exhaust, etc.)? Or just the tuner?

Many thanks!

As mentioned, in my case it didn't improve performance at all.... Best to give honest reviews then a bunch of BS right? Performance wise I initially felt it was a waste of 300$

That said, I've since modified my spark arrester, and appreciate the tuner for the extra little safety it offers with such modifications...

It you want real noticeable gains for the $, invest in a Coop machined sheave

·
Registered
91 Posts
. .. Best to give honest reviews then a bunch of BS right?
Abso-freakin-lutely! The truth seems to be a rarity in these elitist days of 'Cancel Culture', but I and many others, live by the truth, and always will. So thanks for your honest feedback.

I sure benefited from a tuner on a 2017 Softail Slim (Harley). It was literally 'life-altering' for the 103 cubic inch motor on that particular bike, but I also did some intake and exhaust improvements at the same time, so who's to say which of those three components was most responsible for the improvement? It's tough to know with any certainty.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Grizzled Mod
212 Posts
With regards to an EFI like the EHS bullet box, I'm indifferent on mine. It is one of the reasons I asked about elevation. Yes pretty much all ATV brands produced in the last 5 years or so seem to be reported as running lean in North America because of EPS regulations. That is why many have turned to adding fuel injection tuners. Seems that issue is worse at below 1000' elevation. EHS does his evaluation at probably 200' elevation.

What I've come to find out about the bullet boxes is they are good for being able to adjust fueling but they only add fuel, you can't subtract fueling. When you're running lean that is really all that is important. Add in elevation and now the equation changes as those at elevation are not getting the same O2 levels into the combustion chamber as one would get near sea level.

Yes, I'm currently running an EHS bullet box tuner. No, I did not leave the settings as was recommended by EHS and in many cases, I had to reduce the added fuel the EHS tuner was adding. How do I know? I also have installed a Koso wideband AFR meter to where I can realtime monitor the air/fuel burn ratio on my specific Grizzly at my altitude while under load. I actually turned off additional fueling for low throttle. Mid-throttle is where I'm adding a little bit of extra fuel. High throttle has very minimal added fuel. What I really would like is the ability to add or subtract to OEM fueling and this is not an option with bullet box style fuel injection tuners. I would need to go to something else like a Power Commander V.

·
Registered
91 Posts
With regards to an EFI like the EHS bullet box, I'm indifferent on mine. It is one of the reasons I asked about elevation. Yes pretty much all ATV brands produced in the last 5 years or so seem to be reported as running lean in North America because of EPS regulations. That is why many have turned to adding fuel injection tuners. Seems that issue is worse at below 1000' elevation. EHS does his evaluation at probably 200' elevation.

What I've come to find out about the bullet boxes is they are good for being able to adjust fueling but they only add fuel, you can't subtract fueling. When you're running lean that is really all that is important. Add in elevation and now the equation changes as those at elevation are not getting the same O2 levels into the combustion chamber as one would get near sea level.

Yes, I'm currently running an EHS bullet box tuner. No, I did not leave the settings as was recommended by EHS and in many cases, I had to reduce the added fuel the EHS tuner was adding. How do I know? I also have installed a Koso wideband AFR meter to where I can realtime monitor the air/fuel burn ratio on my specific Grizzly at my altitude while under load. I actually turned off additional fueling for low throttle. Mid-throttle is where I'm adding a little bit of extra fuel. High throttle has very minimal added fuel. What I really would like is the ability to add or subtract to OEM fueling and this is not an option with bullet box style fuel injection tuners. I would need to go to something else like a Power Commander V.
Thanks Rocket!

Yeah, this whole EFI/fuel management, aftermarket tuner topic, has me a bit perplexed. As I've noted in earlier postings, I have some limited experience with them, by way of tuners for Harley-Davidson (HD). I bought a new HD in 2017, and unlike this Kodiak, I simply did not have the luxury of waiting out the factory warranty to install one. The HD simply would NOT run without it. It ran SO lean, and SO hot, that it was literally dangerous. Temperatures fully capable of warping sensitive aluminum engine components. So I threw a decent tuner on it in a matter of days after purchase.

But this Kodiak is an altogether different matter. Yes, it's plenty lean! In fact, ridiculously so! And like the HD, I'd love to throw a tuner on it now, or in the near future. But factory warranty issues aside, the EHS tuner does not compare to the sophistication of the HD tuner, which used active O2 sensors in the twin (nearly wide open) exhaust pipes, to constantly fine tune fuel, air, timing, etc., every time it was driven, using an "auto-tune" program, that could then be flashed to the bike, at any time during the process, when (and if) desired. The EHS tuner does not offer anything like that level of refinement. As best I can tell, it's far more 'manually' programmed, and without the active O2 sensors, or a sniffer, or the other necessary monitoring devices, I just don't see how a guy could get a fully optimized system (fuel/air/ignition timing, etc.), in his home garage. Add the elevation differences (as you've pointed out), and you're left flying by the seat of your parts, or more accurately, you're left "fine tuning" things, almost solely by ear.

And, like you've said, the alternative is to go with a tuner that is more comprehensive, more like the one I used on my HD, something like the Dyno-Jet Power Commander V, which apparently lacks the direct WiFi connection to a smartphone like my HD tuner has, but can still be connected to a laptop via USB.

The downside is, you cannot connect the Power Commander V wirelessly to ANY Android or iOS mobile device (smartphone or tablet), nor can you connect it via hardwired (USB) connection to anything but Windows/PC computers or laptops (no Apple or Mac devices). And since I wouldn't own a PC, that's the end of the road. Sorry DynoJet! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
And since we're on this whole topic of tuners and the like, I'm gonna take this opportunity to vent some justifiable frustration over outfits like DynoJet and their esteemed Power Commander V.

These outfits purport to be 'world class' and 'cutting edge' in their technology, etc., but the reality is, they are really nothing of the kind. They are nothing but antiquated dinosaurs, selling largely outdated, circa 1990s era products, at exhorbitantly elevated prices. By example, I was connecting tuners (on motorcycles) to our smartphones (both Android and iOS), wirelessly, almost 5-years ago, for no more than $250. Yet outfits like DynoJet want $350 for their prized, "flagship" Power Commander V model (??), which cannot connect wirelessly to ANY-thing, including Android or iOS devices, and can't even connect via hard-wired USB to anything, other than grossly outdated Windows/PC devices? Are they serious?

I'm sorry, but that's just "laughable"! Might as well be doing business in Uzbekistan! I'm sure there's one or two out there somewhere, but personally, I don't even know anyone anymore (family or otherwise), who owns a Windows-based PC.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts