Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put an EHS controller on today. Also did the AIS plug by putting a 1/2" rubber boot from ACE on the airbox nipple, sliding the tube back on and clamping it. Reason for the controller was wanting to cool down the exhaust. Talked to Eric at EHS for awhile before I ordered it. Was thinking about one of his airboxes since I'm still not quite happy with the interface of the K&N filter (although I think it's a huge improvement over stock). The EHS filter box has a positive clamping system like Yamaha should have used. Anyway while talking to him I mentioned about wanting to get the heat down he said the best thing I could do was a controller and plug the AIS. I know he is in the business of selling stuff but I bit the bullet. I did half a dozen rips up and down my street and there is a very noticeable reduction in heat. Fan did not come on either. Would plugging the AIS alone have done this I dunno. There is also a more noticeable exhaust smell where before mostly what I smelled was HEAT! Anyway I'm happy with it. An airbox will have to wait until next year. Blew an up pipe on my F250. Gonna be drinking cheap beer for awhile!

Eric did mention that cutting off the tube that goes down inside the air filter would increase airflow.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've never delt with Eric personally but I've only heard excellent things about his customer support and products. And no simply blocking the AIS would not have cooled down your exhaust temperatures. Fuel controller is the only way fix the lean factory settings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We chatted about twenty minutes, he seemed happy and enthusiastic. I'm def gonna do the airbox when I can afford it. Was thinking about a muffler too, but I don't want to be any louder than I am i.e. I don't want to advertise my presence more than necessary. He told me to cut out some of the innards from my stock muffler, would free it up a bit but not be too much louder. The terms used on these machines are a bit confusing to me; "tip", "slip-on". I'm new to these things. What I know is muffler, catalytic converter, manifold etc,

·
Registered
346 Posts
We chatted about twenty minutes, he seemed happy and enthusiastic. I'm def gonna do the airbox when I can afford it. Was thinking about a muffler too, but I don't want to be any louder than I am i.e. I don't want to advertise my presence more than necessary. He told me to cut out some of the innards from my stock muffler, would free it up a bit but not be too much louder. The terms used on these machines are a bit confusing to me; "tip", "slip-on". I'm new to these things. What I know is muffler, catalytic converter, manifold etc,
The tip of the muffler which contains the spark arrestor is removable with 4 small bolts. I started off with the 2r billet tip, but it's quite a but louder than stock...sounds good though.
A slipon is a muffler that slips onto the factory pipe.
You can replace the entire exhaust, but a slipon works fine. I went with the HMF Titan Quiet series which is only a bit louder than stock and the quietest performance muffler I was able to find.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered a 2r tip today. I pulled the old tip. With the EHS controller and no tip (pretty loud) I was able to get air with no effort. I used to have to jump on the rear of the seat pretty **** hard to get it up and I'm a lightweight. Now it's straight up for as long as my skill will let me. And it's a lot more peppy from the go. I have no clutch modifications done (yet).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ordered a 2r tip today. I pulled the old tip. With the EHS controller and no tip (pretty loud) I was able to get air with no effort. I used to have to jump on the rear of the seat pretty **** hard to get it up and I'm a lightweight. Now it's straight up for as long as my skill will let me. And it's a lot more peppy from the go. I have no clutch modifications done (yet).
Shims, different weights and stronger spring are easy cheap clutch mods that are simple and work. ( Did them all with great success)

But if your looking for the most bottom end torque, and zero top speed loss, at a very reasonable price Arnie Cooper (Coop45) machining services is want you want. [email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna do the airbox next. Eric was telling me about slug weights. Don't know what they are yet but might consider it down the
road.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cat is in the muffler I believe, but not 100% on that, and I can't look at it as it was pitched after being replaced.

I think you gonna like that 2R tip!
Got the 2R tip on. Quite a bit louder! And easier yet to catch air, although I am not a crazy stunt-man rider person. Reliability is my goal and the HEAT reduction is phenomenal. I can put my hand on exhaust pipe after starting it and backing out of garage. The storage box gets no where near the temperature it did before. It was almost a whopping 70 degrees here yesterday (it hasn't been over 71 yet this year) but no heat at all from the exhaust/cat area. We had a water pipe break on our community well and I rode quite a bit. The fan has not come since I did the controller/AIS, will have to get to Eastern WA to get it really hot to see if it even still works! I don't know what cooled if off the most, controller, AIS plug or tip, but it sure is much cooler. Question: has anyone fouled a plug after installing a fuel controller?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts