Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped the oil from my diffs and final gear as they were due for their first oil change. Is it necessary to replace the drain bolt gaskets if they show no signs of damage? Also does the rear diff and final gear both fill from the same spot?

·
Registered
530 Posts
What year is your Kodiak? No you do not need to replace the copper sealing washers. And it’s been awhile since I replaced mine but it fills from the top and there is a side plug that you remove which is the full level. Fill until the oil come out of the side plug hole. It’s all in your owners manual.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2020. I read the manual but it isn’t real clear about filling the rear diff. The fact that the final gear and the rear diff each have their own drain plug made me wonder a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
The final gear and rear diff fill from the same port. However there is a plug that you take out on the side of the diff that is the full plug. You fill until fluid is running out of this plug and then you are done.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
295 Posts
https://youtu.be/rqgZhOE4gbs

pretty straight forward. this may help

the rear is a little different because of 3 bolts to take out, vs 2 in the front.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it done but the Kodiak has drain plugs for the final gear and rear diff. This video only shows him using one but I suppose both will drain from one drain port. I removed both to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
The drain towards the front of the diff will drain both sides of the diff. There are times that you won't have to change out all the oil so that is what the one nearest to the rear is for. If you ask me it is a dumb design for what little bit more oil you have to use but some engineer bean counter probably figured that Yamaha could save a few cents and charge you the same. Who knows for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure agree with the dumb design. For the few ounces of oil I would rather just change it all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts