Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would add a recent project that I have been working on with mounting a chemical sprayer and spreader onto my Kodiak. The attached pictures are pretty much the roughed in end product which I may clean up a bit but ultimately serves its purpose. With that said I do know that there are other mounts in the market that may have worked for my ATV but I had trouble finding exactly what I wanted. On the plus side I was able to create what I wanted and for a mere fraction of the cost. Hopefully this will help anyone else looking for similar setups or at least spark your own creativity. I definitely welcome your comments on where you think another setup might have worked or would work better. I will add that most of material I used I had laying around my garage.

1.) Added a 40 gallon sprayer tank to the 2inch hitch on the rear of my ATV.
- Purchased a 40 gallon FIMCO sprayer that had the tractor mounts. I really wanted the larger tank and the boom sprayer and plan to discard the large bulky red mounting box. Given the season I needed to get this working ASAP so I haven't customized the mounting components and set the entire unit on a 2in receiver rear vehicle platform. Which actually got me pretty close to my height requirement for the sprayers. Sprayers should be around 20 inches and these are mounted around 25. The red framed box adds significant weight and I would rather mount the tank to the rear rack but I will have to work on that this winter.

2.) Added a 125 pound front mounted broadcast spreader. ( I wanted this front mounted so that I could see my spread and not have to continually be turned around)
- Mounted a Lesco Truckster 2 to the front rack
- Removed the Lesco framing, and used 1 inch conduit as the framing for the mount, drilled holes in the conduit for the mounts and then used U bolts to attach to the rack, I then cut a piece of strapping to mount the open/close lever cabling.
- Mounted the open/close lever on the extended conduit so that it was closer to the handlebars
- purchased some 30 amp battery post clamps and wired the motor so that I can attach to the battery.
**** The only other item which is not shown in the picture is to add some cardboard or a tarp to the front of your ATV so that you aren't tossing fertilizer in your engine area.

The only challenge you will face is figuring out how you will want to store the broadcast spreader in the off season. When you remove the Lesco mounting you are also removing some of the broadcast spreader protection. One solution is to just re-attach the Lesco mount in the off season.

Anyways this was my first crack at these setups. Not perfect by any means but functional.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like you are really using it like it should be used - for work.
I can't really tell from the picture if that 40 gal tank has a 2" receiver and it's sitting on that receiver but if that is the case you should reconsider that setup. If my math is correct just to fill it with 40 gal of water will add about 330 lbs , now add the weight of the tank itself and hoses, etc you are at 380 lbs. Way too much and not safe at all .Maybe take a little time and do as you said: mount the tank on the rear rack.
Look up listed weight limits for the Kodiak, I'm sure it will take more then that but not by a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah good point on the weight on the rear. Currently the 40 gallon tank is sitting on a platform that is utilizing the 2in receiver. Will be putting water in it this evening to test out but definitely not a long term solution.

Worth noting that I will only be using these setups on flat land at 5mph or less.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Seems like a lot of weight to be mounted to the Kodiak if both the 40 gallon tank and the spreader was full. How was the water test?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rollin was absolutely correct. There was too much weight on the 2in receiver with only 20 gallons of water in the tank. My land is fairly flat but it was almost dragging when I was testing the boom sprayer. I ended up going with what I originally intended to do and removed the red box mount that came with the sprayer and mounted the tank to the rear rack with ratchet straps. I then took another piece of conduit mounted it to the rear rack with some U bolts and attached the boom sprayer to the conduit. I used a 3ft 4x4 piece of wood and attached it to the boom sprayer mount to provide separation from just below the rear rack and that leveled off the boom sprayer. This left my about 21 inches from my boom sprayer to the ground. I then added 20 gallons of water and the suspension dropped my sprayer about an inch. I filled up the entire 40 gallon tank and height dropped my boom sprayer height to about 18 inches. I had swapped out my boom sprayer nozzles with XR Teejet 8004VS prior and forget to mention. The boom sprayer gave me a precise 12 ft sprayer and worked out great. I will add a picture later on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We should have compared notes as we did our builds. This is mounted to the 350 Bruin which I have replaced with the new Kodiak 700 and have yet to retro fit it to the new one. This one has 15 gallon capacity and lays an even spray about 8' wide.
https://youtu.be/rDstC2R5F2w

Also came up with a disc setup which works well on previously worked ground but I have yet to try it on unworked ground.
https://youtu.be/xwydgB0AkwY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts