Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got these mounted up with my modded harbor freight manual tire changer. And well I was a little disappointed in the height , because when I drop them down to 5 psi all around the front measure 26 inches and the rears come in at 27 But if I put 12 lbs of air in them the rears are 27.5 and fronts are 27.
My kenda k299 bear claws are 26’s and they all measure 25.5 with 4 lbs of air in them. I sent a email to cst and am waiting for a reply.
The comparison photo of the 26 inch bear claws with 4 psi ( now on my wife’s 700) and the wild thangs with 12 psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok so I got these mounted up with my modded harbor freight manual tire changer. And well I was a little disappointed in the height , because when I drop them down to 5 psi all around the front measure 26 inches and the rears come in at 27 But if I put 12 lbs of air in them the rears are 27.5 and fronts are 27.
My kenda k299 bear claws are 26’s and they all measure 25.5 with 4 lbs of air in them. I sent a email to cst and am waiting for a reply.
The comparison photo of the 26 inch bear claws with 4 psi ( now on my wife’s 700) and the wild thangs with 12 psi.
They look great ! Now wear the sh6(##)t out of them

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look great ! Now wear the sh6(##)t out of them
Shims and secondary spring will be going in next, before I do any serious riding :wink2:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Shims and secondary spring will be going in next, before I do any serious riding :wink2:
It's worth going out for a rip now in stock , so you can experience and understand why these simple mods kick ***!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's worth going out for a rip now in stock , so you can experience and understand why these simple mods kick ***!!!
I have a 400 and 450 kodiak that I have done shims and springs on both , so I kinda know what to expect. But yes looking forward to giving the new tires a work out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
They do look great. I am considering some bear. claws. How well did they do for you? Clearly well, because they are still in the family

What is the problem with the height?

That at 5 psi they sit low?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do look great. I am considering some bear. claws. How well did they do for you? Clearly well, because they are still in the family

What is the problem with the height?

That at 5 psi they sit low?
I have nothing bad to say about the original bear claws they are a great all around tire. I ran the 26 inch claws on my 400 and 25 inch on my wife’s 450 kodiak. Then we bought the 700’s and I swapped them over to them. We hit every mud hole we can and a few times I was surprised that the claws pulled us through no problems. If kenda made the k299’s in 28’s I would have bought them .
Yes it’s the height at 5 psi, I am going to try and run them at 8 psi and see how I like it . Really looking forward to giving the cst.’s a work out . still impressed with them just a little disappointed with the height.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Man they are on the short side...... I heard the same complaint about Zillas.

For comparison sake. My 26" Growlers measured 26 fronts and 26.5 rears @ 5psi when new installed on the bike...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

For comparison sake. My 26" Growlers measured 26 fronts and 26.5 rears @ 5psi when new installed on the bike...
In my research everyone that bought the cst’s said they ran more true to size than the zilla’s. Well not sure if I got a set made on a Friday or what but yeah a little disappointed.

Reactions: Colorado Kodiak 700

·
Registered
702 Posts
In my research everyone that bought the cst’s said they ran more true to size than the zilla’s. Well not sure if I got a set made on a Friday or what but yeah a little disappointed.

Don't think tire molds know the difference between weekdays or Fridays. Lol

All joking aside,...Ya, I get ya, I would be a bit disappointed too....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't think tire molds know the difference between weekdays or Fridays. Lol

All joking aside,...Ya, I get ya, I would be a bit disappointed too....
Yeah I was being facetious with the Friday comment :grin2:

·
Registered
530 Posts

This is true about the Zillas. My 26" Zillas measure 25" both fornt & rear at 4 or 5lbs of air

1 - 12 of 12 Posts