Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2021 Kodiak 700 EPS here recently, and I'm slowly finding that various replacement parts are rather difficult or impossible to obtain. In fairness, I think we all recognize that Covid-19 has been a game-changer of sorts, for almost every person and business worldwide now, for this entire past year. And as a consequence, things that might have been readily available pre-Covid, are no longer available (often back-ordered). Clearly, this would seem to apply to all, including Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, whomever! But I can't help to wonder, what this could this mean to someone, in terms of major mechanical repairs?

My 700 EPS Hunter Model (tan with real-tree camo), shipped with the camo graphic (an adhesive decal), on the right front fender missing. Back-ordered, indefinitely. Similarly, I would have liked to have an official Service Manual. Back-ordered, indefinitely. Same with the Owners Manual.

So I'm curious . . . has anyone here got any horror stories or tales of woe, where they've had the need for major repairs (warranty or otherwise), but found that they couldn't get timely repairs done, due to back-ordered parts?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am aware of some issues, but I don't think you need to be very concerned, I am not personally.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
You should of got a owners manual when you purchased the Kodiak, if not I would have the dealership send you one.

You can also get the manuals online for a lot cheaper than a paper copy. Then you can print off a page if it is needed or just reference back to your computer. I will print the page that I need and then place it in a binder. I figure that if I have to do enough work on it that I'll have a complete paper manual sooner or later.

For parts I use Partzilla for online or if I am near my local dealer 30 miles away I'll stop by, but usually they say that they need to order it so I just fall back on Partzilla or even Amazon if I have the part number that I can get off of Partzilla's parts diagram

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too concerned, yet, since mine is brand new and I don't have any mechanical issues, requiring serious parts, but I'm curious about others. And the dealer of origin couldn't get me an Owners Manual if he wanted to. I checked. Can't get either manual or the front fender graphic. Keep in mind that this is a 2021 model, and who knows what an on-line 2018 manual would do for me?

As for Partzilla, I'm surprised by that. How on Earth do they have OEM Yamaha parts, when Yamaha and its dealers don't have them, or even have access to them? That's a puzzle?

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
They are a large ATV parts supplier. They don't just deal with Yamaha but just about all of the ATV's out there. It would be interesting to walk through their warehouse.

For a owners manual I would just download one for a 2020 or even a 2019. They change a little but not that much.

Same for the repair manual, just stay away from the Haynes, and Chilton manuals

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are a large ATV parts supplier. They don't just deal with Yamaha but just about all of the ATV's out there. It would be interesting to walk through their warehouse.

For a owners manual I would just download one for a 2020 or even a 2019. They change a little but not that much.

Same for the repair manual, just stay away from the Haynes, and Chilton manuals
Thanks Jim, and yeah, I think that's the thing to do. To be clear, I have a hard copy of the original 2021 Owners Manual, that's kept on the Kodiak. I'd just like to get another one for the house. And as far as the Service Manual, I'd probably be fine with a 2019, but I'd feel better if I could find a 2020 version. So I'll keep looking.

As for Partzilla, I'll definitely have to check them out. I guess my concern there would be whether the parts are genuine Yamaha, or 3rd party, aftermarket knock-off? Has your experience with them been good in that regard?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
All that I have gotten from them come with a Yamaha parts sticker and or bag.

On the owners manual, there isn't that much in it that you can use out on a trail except using the pages to start a fire. I just leave mine at home after reading it. But then I have been riding ATVs for over 40 years now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All that I have gotten from them come with a Yamaha parts sticker and or bag.

On the owners manual, there isn't that much in it that you can use out on a trail except using the pages to start a fire. I just leave mine at home after reading it. But then I have been riding ATVs for over 40 years now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Righto! And you've got me there. Lots of Harleys and dirt bikes and boats and other toys over the years, but this is my first ATV.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Thanks Jim, and yeah, I think that's the thing to do. To be clear, I have a hard copy of the original 2021 Owners Manual, that's kept on the Kodiak. I'd just like to get another one for the house. And as far as the Service Manual, I'd probably be fine with a 2019, but I'd feel better if I could find a 2020 version. So I'll keep looking.

As for Partzilla, I'll definitely have to check them out. I guess my concern there would be whether the parts are genuine Yamaha, or 3rd party, aftermarket knock-off? Has your experience with them been good in that regard?

Thanks again.
As far as your service manual, the only difference between the copy you have and the one you want will be the year on the front cover. The bikes are exactly the same.
Even a 2018, 95% would be the same with the only real difference being the 708 dohc vs 686 sohc engine. The rest of the bike is the same. Well i think they did update the digital disply also.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything is on backorder from Yamaha as far as I know because of covid-19, I am still waiting on my entire Kodiak 700 EPS SE.
On the positive side of things, I've learned from several large dealers in multiple states, that a few (very few) Kodiak's and/or Grizzlies are still showing up, and most, if not all, are already spoken for. On the negative side, I've also heard from some dealers that they have taken orders and sizeable deposits for new ones from customers, only to be told by Yamaha as much as 3-4 months later, that their orders were cancelled without any other notice or explanation, causing some serious consternation for those buyers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as your service manual, the only difference between the copy you have and the one you want will be the year on the front cover. The bikes are exactly the same. . .

I currently have an Owners Manual, and would like another, but to be clear, I have no Service Manual.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
You can go here and get both, the service manual is a little bit pricey but it is a paper copy.

They are printed on demand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the positive side of things, I've learned from several large dealers in multiple states, that a few (very few) Kodiak's and/or Grizzlies are still showing up, and most, if not all, are already spoken for. On the negative side, I've also heard from some dealers that they have taken orders and sizeable deposits for new ones from customers, only to be told by Yamaha as much as 3-4 months later, that their orders were cancelled without any other notice or explanation, causing some serious consternation for those buyers.
I did put a deposit down on a Kodiak and spent months calling them just to make sure it does not get cancelled, even calling the factory and customer service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did put a deposit down on a Kodiak and spent months calling them just to make sure it does not get cancelled, even calling the factory and customer service.
Good deal! I'm confident that it'll all work out for you. One of our local dealers here had a brand new and un-spoken-for 700 SE just 3-weeks ago, and I think it even had a factory winch (not sure?), but it was metallic green, which I didn't much care for, or I would have pounced on it.

Anyway, best of luck to you! (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good deal! I'm confident that it'll all work out for you. One of our local dealers here had a brand new and un-spoken-for 700 SE just 3-weeks ago, and I think it even had a factory winch (not sure?), but it was metallic green, which I didn't much care for, or I would have pounced on it.

Anyway, best of luck to you! (y)
The covert green is nice and it has the winch, the orange does not but I have everything ready to put my VRX 25 in it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
And if Partzilla doesnt have something. I also use babbits.com

I think Partzilla is out of Georgia, and Babbits is more West. Because Ill get parts from partzilla with free shipping in just a few days. Where babbits can cost more in shipping and take longer

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I currently have an Owners Manual, and would like another, but to be clear, I have no Service Manual.
Save his for the owners manual... Going to be the same thing, no major changes in the bike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts