Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck between purchasing a leftover 16 Kodiak in camo for $7,500 out the door or a 17 Can-Am Outlander 570 Max for $8,000 out the door. Probably 50% of the time I will have a passenger on the back wife/kids. I will be doing some trail riding with the passenger but nothing heavy and difficult. My main question is if anyone can give me there real world experience with a passenger on the back of the Kodiak with an aftermarket seat. Is it stable? Is it Safe? Do you wish you purchased a 2up ATV instead?

One other question I have is with the 4-wheel drive system on the Kodiak. I will not be doing any mud bogging or extremely difficult terrain but will come across some mud, rocks, logs, etc.. Do you owners of the Kodiak feel that the 4X4 system on the Kodiak is adequate? Have you gotten stuck in any situations where you wish you had a different 4-wheel drive system?

Finally, How satisfied are you with your Kodiak and have you had any reliability issues.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't even ponder it, Kodiak. A tamed 708 cc at your fingertips. Housed in a worksite tuff chassis and body. Yamaha sticks to a simple, no frills design that echoes reliability. Can do all you asked with no worries. No regrets here, relieved that I didn't make a mistake actually. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Do you by any chance ride with a passenger on back? If so do you feel it is safe and stable for casual trail riding?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes off course. It's usually me and the wife. Kodiak is excellent at chugging along slowly and has lots of controllable power when ya need it. I could never go with a 2up bike. They may be longer and better suited for a passenger but then your choosing it for that specific roll. Personally i enjoy getting out alone and whipping her around a bit sometimes. Kodiak is a nimble little mountain goat to me. A tighter package so to speak then a dedicated 2up or Grizzly. Your best to go sit on the machines your looking at with a passenger to see if your comfortable. For a do all machine some specifics must be compromised. Just my opinion though. Cheers

Just so you know. Mounting the passenger seat (depending on the size of seat) should be mounted in a way that the passenger sits in front of or at least in line with the rear wheels. A short wheel base makes this a little difficult. The lower centre of gravity of the Kodiak helps allot but because it's more compact it has less room obviously. But it's all just so controllable that it negates stability concerns. Gotta learn the bikes responsiveness and handling, then it's just all fun for driver and passenger.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I love my Kodiak but , if you plan on spending 50% of your time with a passenger, I would choose a longer machine. The wheelbase is too short and puts the passenger too far rearward imo. If the person is small it may not cause an issue. The bike is nimble and smaller but there is a trade off in this case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do, and I have no issues. The bike gets a little butt heavy with a passenger but nothing unmanageable. These things have 200 pound load ratings on the racks, so unless you're ferrying me around you should be OK. Obviously you want to be a little more conservative with the throttle - these bikes will wheelie, and extra weight on the back will make that more of an issue. You'll also want to have the passenger get off and walk on extreme hill climbs. This applies to all single seat bikes with an aftermarket seat though.

Can-Ams are decent bikes, but are also overrated if you ask me. Sure, when you start getting into the big 800 and 1000CC models you're getting a beast, but the lower end machines are nothing special.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never had a problem riding double I just adjust the rear shocks a notch or 2. My brother has a Caned Ham and I hate the 4x4 system I feel that the locking of the front diff. is very unpredictable and seem to lock when not needed and not lock when needed. May be it is just me but I like having total control of my front diff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am stuck between purchasing a leftover 16 Kodiak in camo for $7,500 out the door or a 17 Can-Am Outlander 570 Max for $8,000 out the door. Probably 50% of the time I will have a passenger on the back wife/kids. I will be doing some trail riding with the passenger but nothing heavy and difficult. My main question is if anyone can give me there real world experience with a passenger on the back of the Kodiak with an aftermarket seat. Is it stable? Is it Safe? Do you wish you purchased a 2up ATV instead?

One other question I have is with the 4-wheel drive system on the Kodiak. I will not be doing any mud bogging or extremely difficult terrain but will come across some mud, rocks, logs, etc.. Do you owners of the Kodiak feel that the 4X4 system on the Kodiak is adequate? Have you gotten stuck in any situations where you wish you had a different 4-wheel drive system?

Finally, How satisfied are you with your Kodiak and have you had any reliability issues.

Thanks in advance.
I'd say Kodiak over Can Am. The 4wd system on the Kodiak and all Yamaha's for that matter is extremely reliable and simple. If you get the SE, you'll have electronic push button diff lock which is what 90+ percent of Yamahas you see today have. Great system, like the fellow said above, total control over when it's locked and not locked in.

If you get the base model or EPS, you'll have a mechanical type cable system which still maintains the same overall functionality of the electric ones minus diff lock and electric push button. Instead you have a mechanical lever and cable to engage 4wd.

If you need diff lock, we have a kit that will convert the base and SE models to diff lock using a manual type lever. You can find more information on it here and a video of it in action.

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/545-501-parts/4530-kodiak-700-base-model-grabber-diff-lock-kit-information.html

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not advocating for the can am by any means. Over priced, over rated taco quads. I really think Yamaha is missing the boat by not having a 2 up machine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was having a tough time making a similar choice. I went with the Yamaha. The can am is physically a bigger machine, higher, wider. H.P. is similar, but my thought on that is, would you rather have a 570 that's pushed to the limit to make the H.P. or a 700 that makes the same H.P. easily. I've only ridden 2 up on mine once and it was fine. Mine is the SE model and has adjustable shocks I could turn up if necessary, not sure if the one you're looking at does. Also if your wife or kids are going to be driving it, I'd definitely consider something with power steering. Really makes a difference and you don't even notice it. For me price wise the 570 and 700 were similar but I got a lot more machine with the Yamaha. To get a 650cc can am with similar options, I was over $10, 000.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was going to buy a s x s so that my wife and I could ride together, we looked at several but I couldn't justify the price. My wife is always agreeable to things and would never have tried to persuade my thoughts about the purchase, but as I thought about it I realized that she would not have much fun always being a passenger, and I surely wouldn't want to be the passenger for very long.

Then I started looking at ATV's and looked at Honda, Can AM and Yamaha. It became clear that I could get 2 ATV's for the price of one s x s. My wife never even asked about getting her own ATV, but I could see her get excited when I began talking about buying 2 of them. The easiest part was the decision to buy the Kodiaks. By far they fit our needs better than the supersize machines, and they have tons of power which is what I like.

We ended up getting 2 Kodiak 700's, non-EPS or SE, for a tad over $14K including TTL. The rebates helped and we got free 2 year warranty. I bought and installed the winch and plow myself, on my camo Kodiak.

My wife now gets her riding clothes on and waits until I finish up chores like a little kid waiting for an ice cream cone. She's even gone solo riding in the back 90.

His and Hers ATV's may be expensive, but Credit Union financing at 1.9% and the smile on my wife's face make it an easy decision to live with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was going to buy a s x s so that my wife and I could ride together, we looked at several but I couldn't justify the price. My wife is always agreeable to things and would never have tried to persuade my thoughts about the purchase, but as I thought about it I realized that she would not have much fun always being a passenger, and I surely wouldn't want to be the passenger for very long.

Then I started looking at ATV's and looked at Honda, Can AM and Yamaha. It became clear that I could get 2 ATV's for the price of one s x s. My wife never even asked about getting her own ATV, but I could see her get excited when I began talking about buying 2 of them. The easiest part was the decision to buy the Kodiaks. By far they fit our needs better than the supersize machines, and they have tons of power which is what I like.

We ended up getting 2 Kodiak 700's, non-EPS or SE, for a tad over $14K including TTL. The rebates helped and we got free 2 year warranty. I bought and installed the winch and plow myself, on my camo Kodiak.

My wife now gets her riding clothes on and waits until I finish up chores like a little kid waiting for an ice cream cone. She's even gone solo riding in the back 90.

His and Hers ATV's may be expensive, but Credit Union financing at 1.9% and the smile on my wife's face make it an easy decision to live with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dont do it, my Kodiak is a beast! It is claims to be for work? but we ride thes hard and this machine loves it! if you get a Kodiak you wont be disappointed at all, it walks all over polaris! Jus do it!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have the Kodiak 700 it is great never had a passenger on it but they make the storage boxes that can bolt on where a passenger can kinda fit in. As far as the 4 x 4 ive been through a few big mud holes don't really liketo get it too messy but it works great plenty of power too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts