Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bringing this topic back to life as I finally made the purchase of the purple epi spring, 18gr grizzly weights, and 1.5mm of shim. I’ve been watching whatever videos are out there so I have a good idea of the process. One thing I haven’t found an answer on was the location of the shims. Can someone please share a diagram to show where we install it.
Also, I may skip the sheave machining for now. Would you advise I get it all done now or is it safe to do it another time. Is there anyone in Canada reputable for machining these or is the consensus still to reach out to Coop for a freshly turned one?

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
Shims go between the primary sheaves, opening it slightly further. Inside sheave, shaft spacer, <shim> then outside sheave assembly. When you tighten it back together, I think there is about 1.5 threads visible on the shaft.

the changes you are making are gonna make a HUGE difference. I would wait on the machined sheave, unless you like the idea of massive changes. I kinda like gradual. If you keep the grease in there, it requires periodic maintenance, so that’s an excuse to open it up next spring and “inspect it” while you do the sheave, if you still want more juice. You won’t need to do the secondary. Although, if you are in power-robbing mud all the time, you may actually want a Gold spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks! I’ve found a few videos on the placement of the shims and seems to be differing opinions. Some videos show inside sheave, shim, spacer, outside sheave. Other video I saw on YouTube called “proper shim placement on a Yamaha” shows shims installed like you said; after the spacer and before the outer basket. Anyone else have opinion or experience on this?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I installed all mine inside sheave , shim, spacer , out side sheave .

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks! I’ve found a few videos on the placement of the shims and seems to be differing opinions. Some videos show inside sheave, shim, spacer, outside sheave. Other video I saw on YouTube called “proper shim placement on a Yamaha” shows shims installed like you said; after the spacer and before the outer basket. Anyone else have opinion or experience on this?
Put your shims between the inner sheave and the collar

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
It actually doesn’t matter which side of the collar the shims are placed, all that is happening is the collar is being “lengthened” and pushing the primary moveable sheave/cam plate further away from the primary fixed sheave.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It actually doesn’t matter which side of the collar the shims are placed, all that is happening is the collar is being “lengthened” and pushing the primary moveable sheave/cam plate further away from the primary fixed sheave.
This is 100% correct.

I m just bias twords the method i posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks to everyone that has helped. The purple spring, lighter weights, and shims made a big difference. I did a quick test run today after the clutch work and WOW! Had a smile on my face the whole time. The wheelies were effortless on low gear, take off response was instant on high gear, and only lost 5kmh on my top speed.
I’ve already done the ais delete and next up I’m waiting on the ehs racing air mods and efi controller from a local distributor.
Looking forward to taking this on some challenging trails and putting to the test

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
That’s awesome to hear!! And it was pretty affordable, using all OEM parts…
After the first ride, are you still wishing you did the machined sheave?

on my Kodiak, I wish I had went to 18’s rather than 20’s. But if I do the machined sheave, that will probably equal it out. The behavior of 20’s still has the Kodiak feel - kind of a thumper torque-monster grunt. My Grizzly has the 18’s, and it winds up really free and quick, much sportier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes it was very affordable. Thanks to someone’s tip here about using a spare wheel to compress the secondary spring that saved me some money by not having to buy a specialty tool I may only use once!
Im kinda glad I didn’t get the machined sheave. I feel like it’s a good enough improvement without breaking the bank. Will have to see how it performs with more aggressive riding.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts