Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope everyone’s doing great and enjoying the summertime riding!

Now that I have my new 27” reptile radials tires on my kodiak 700 I’m looking for the next big performance upgrade. I keep hearing about epi clutch kit, purple/gold springs, and machine sheave clutch plate.. is that accurate? My end goal is to get my machine to effortlessly turn those wheels in low to mid range to get out of mud bogs and power through deep snow. Also, popping my front end up in a wheelie would be nice too when I’m playing in the water. Is there not a ‘dyno box’ for the Kodiak like I’ve seen available for other Japanese models?

Are these mods right for my use case?

May be a question for the Canadian riders.. where do you order these mods from? Is there a reputable shop (I’m in York region) that will install these upgrades reasonably?

Any links or information you can share will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well best bang for the buck is shims , grizzly rollers and purple spring, best all around performance is the coop sheave , grizzly rollers and purple spring. Stay away from the clutch kits waist of money. As for a tuner I see your on a 2021, I’ve read that those with the newer models are not seeing the advantages from them like those of us that run the 16-18 708’s.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
I’m running 27” Reptiles. It was sluggish on hills, so I did CVT mods last year. I went with 1.5mm shim, 20* weights (saving 18* weights if I need more), and purple spring. It’s just right most of the time! If I was doing a lot of mud or really wanted to spin the tires, maybe go to 18’s weights.
My machine doesn’t bog down, back shifts better, and spins like crazy from ~8mph to ~35mph. I hardly use low range now. Fuel mileage is almost identical as before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, very helpful! So does the dealer carry all these items or are they aftermarket?

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
PartZilla... or your local stealership.

Yamaha #90201-225A4-00 washer plate 1mm

Yamaha #90201-222FO-00 washer plate .5mm

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00
20 gram weights 07 to 14 Grizzlys

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00
18 gram weights 16 to 20 Grizzlys

Purple Spring from EPI

CVT grease... Yamaha no longer makes it. I used Tink Seal. But yesterday I found a high-quality Redline product for CVT’s available from Rocky Mountain ATV. Next time I’m inside my CVT, it’s getting the Redline stuff.
Some guys go greaseless, as an alternative to buying expensive lube products.
For spring removal, the wheel trick is the best. For spring assembly, it’s probably worth buying a spring compressor. To each their own... could use the wheel trick for assembly too.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I grabbed my shims on fleabay, was the cheapest place i found for 1.5mm of shims shipped up here to Sudbury.
I bought my epi purple spring on amazon, i could have got it for about $4 cheaper direct from epi, but it was overnight from amazon.
I got my sheave machined and installed 18gm weights now along with just 1mm of shim asked greaseless.
I txt my buddy already and asked him if he would be interested in machining another sheave. He's BF Clutching, he doesn't really do it as a business now, more friends and family only, but sometimes he makes exceptions, so we will see.

In turning 26" reptiles, zero issues. If i had of known when i was buying the tires, that i was going to have a machined sheave so soon, i would have went 27 or 28".

Just 1.5mm and a purple spring will really wake your bike up, you will lose a tad bit of top speed, but what you gain down low will more than make up for it.
I recommend a set of 18 gr grizzly oem weights for your 27"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bigfish

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
All great advice from these guys.

I run coop machined sheave, 18 gram weights and the stock spring

Reactions: Bigfish

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. Makes my decision a lot easier.
“I txt my buddy already and asked him if he would be interested in machining another sheave. He's BF Clutching, he doesn't really do it as a business now, more friends and family only, but sometimes he makes exceptions, so we will see.” Is this a brand new sheave or does he work with your existing? Where is he located?

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. Makes my decision a lot easier.
“I txt my buddy already and asked him if he would be interested in machining another sheave. He's BF Clutching, he doesn't really do it as a business now, more friends and family only, but sometimes he makes exceptions, so we will see.” Is this a brand new sheave or does he work with your existing? Where is he located?
Well that one is 99% out, he sold his mill last fall. Been thinking of buying another one though. He's located 20 min outside Sudbury. Normally there would be options, bring or send your sheave, but a new one and do that one, or possibly, he may have a take off there. The one in my bike was a new one he had just finished for someone else that ended up with other financial obligations. So we swapped that one in for my oem sheave that only had under 400km on it.
The good part is if he did pick up a new mill, we would gladly machine one.
So now I'm looking at mills. Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you do I’d gladly take a trip to Sudbury this summer. My oem only has 500 kms and counting

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Coop is a good option, my only issue was shipping cost. You are better off just buying a new one from him vs shipping yours there. Coop is the only other machinest i would use personally based on his reputation on here and the positive reviews of his work.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Well if you do I’d gladly take a trip to Sudbury this summer. My oem only has 500 kms and counting
See if i had a few positive confirmed Canadian customers, i would invest in a mill. I seriously concidered it and watched more youtube vids than anyone needs to on the subject. The process for our sheaves is rather simple, a same with the roller channels. If I were back in New Brunswick, i could use my Ex's dad's mill, he has a nice little shop on his farm, and he taught me alot.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For comparison purpose

Stock vs Coop's machined sheave...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Great pic.. Can you get a sandwich style pic? We need to see the curve of surface..
Not happening

The stock sheave is 250 miles away in my old 550 Grizz (childhood friends now owns it) , and the coop sheave is currently in my 700 Grizz providing smiles on demand.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Not happening

The stock sheave is 250 miles away in my old 550 Grizz (childhood friends now owns it) , and the coop sheave is currently in my 700 Grizz providing smiles on demand.
Oh come on Vincent.... Don't be like that..... Go the extra mile..... Eerrr miles..... Get that pic for the man. Lol

Reactions: Vincent
1 - 20 of 30 Posts